Putting 101

TriggerTech

Head Pro
Visit site
Been working on my distance control after a shocker last sunday, just looking for some feedback;

Grip - should I be gripping at the top or gripping Down? Imagine different things work for different people, however is this a fundamental?

Takeway - should the club sole leave the ground or remain in contact throughout? The latter I found had greater results.
Feedback welcome. Cheers guys!

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
TT - ask 100 people about putting and they will give you 100 different answers - there are no hard and fast rules as long as you are consistent.

Regarding your two questions whether you hold at the top or down the grip depends on the length of your putter.....and your arms! Some people like their arms hanging so have a very short putter, while some putt more upright. Again, it is what you feel comfortable with to control the swing.

With the takeaway, personally I wouldn't consciously try to brush the grass on the takeaway as if the club gets snagged on the way back, a smooth swing is impossible.

All I think about is a rock of my shoulders on the way back, hitting the ball on the equator and keeping my head down until after the ball is sent on its way...simple

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
rather than hoilding up or down, ive picked a mark on my grip that i use as a benchmark. i tend to put the first 2/3 holes off that mark, if the greens are fast go down an inch, if the green are slow come up an inch. job done.

TheClaw

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Faldo said something on TV last week that sounds so simple but improved my putting loads...

"Left hand back, right hand through".

I had been trying to keep both hands working together but now have 10x more feel when the right hand is doing more work on the way through the ball.

I'm sure different things work for different people though.

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Faldo said something on TV last week that sounds so simple but improved my putting loads...

I had been trying to keep both hands working together but now have 10x more feel when the right hand is doing more work on the way through the ball.

I thought the opposite would be better.

Pulling away with the right and through with the left.

Your pushing the putter.

TheClaw

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

I thought the opposite would be better.

Pulling away with the right and through with the left.

Your pushing the putter.

Have you tried it yet? If I was rolling a ball I would rather use my right because I'm right handed. Like I said, different strokes...