Look at the hole when putting

Visit site
It’s trusting your stroke when looking at the hole, and it’s also reactionary. If someone threw a ball at you you’d react to it, you need to have a routine that as soon as you see the hole you let the stroke go. If you see the hole and pause then it becomes more difficult to make your stroke. It’s freeing you from getting in your own way.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Richard Sterne used this technique for a while. He has since gone back to the conventional method.
Putting is such a unique and personal thing. I would happily give it a go.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Tried it again today, missed a 5 footer at two and didn't do it again all day, subsequently never missed from inside 5 feet all day.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Holed from 30ft on 1st yesterday and from 40ft a few holes later
Two more sitting on the lip from outside 12ft
Nice to know its still working after last week's shocker

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I might on occasion look at the hole during the practice swing but never on the actual putt.

When you throw a dart do you look at the dart or the dartboard?

When you kick a ball do you look at the ball or the goal?

In those 2 examples, there's no 'stick' involved unlike hockey, tennis, badminton, squash, golf etc.

At the end of the day, do what you want and gives you the best results, but I'll stick to looking at what I'm hitting

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
When you throw a dart do you look at the dart or the dartboard?

When you kick a ball do you look at the ball or the goal?
With darts you look at the board because the dart is in your hand already. When striking a football, I think you do look at the ball to make sure you strike it properly so that analogy doesn't work. :LOL:

I was going to try this on Saturday, but we didn't get time to go on the practise green beforehand, and on the real greens I actually couldn't bring myself to do it. My eyes would always instinctively glance back at the ball when I was about to make contact. The best I could do was look at the hole during my practise stroke though. That neither helped nor hindered really.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
With darts you look at the board because the dart is in your hand already. When striking a football, I think you do look at the ball to make sure you strike it properly so that analogy doesn't work. :LOL:

I was going to try this on Saturday, but we didn't get time to go on the practise green beforehand, and on the real greens I actually couldn't bring myself to do it. My eyes would always instinctively glance back at the ball when I was about to make contact. The best I could do was look at the hole during my practise stroke though. That neither helped nor hindered really.

That will always be the case until you trust your stroke. Hence why I suggested try putting with your eyes closed initially, just till you get the feel and confidence. Coming out of your comfort zone is a good thing.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That will always be the case until you trust your stroke. Hence why I suggested try putting with your eyes closed initially, just till you get the feel and confidence. Coming out of your comfort zone is a good thing.
Yeah I get it, I just really needed to do it on the practise green first and we didn't have time because they took forever serving the breakfast!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Did it for all putts today. I usually only do it for 20 feet and under but today I used it for everything, I noticed I was "clumsy" at first knocking a couple of putts 10 feet past the hole. Once I dialed in it was just as good doing this from anywhere.

Free up the mind - free up the stroke.

Ratcatcher

Visit site
I can see it working on straight puts but if you have a putt that breaks say 6" from the right you need to look 6"" right because if you look at the hole you will miss the putt 6"" to the left.
Try it.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Did it for all putts today. I usually only do it for 20 feet and under but today I used it for everything, I noticed I was "clumsy" at first knocking a couple of putts 10 feet past the hole. Once I dialed in it was just as good doing this from anywhere.

Free up the mind - free up the stroke.

I can't use it close in for some reason. I tend to pull any short ones.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I can see it working on straight puts but if you have a putt that breaks say 6" from the right you need to look 6"" right because if you look at the hole you will miss the putt 6"" to the left.
Try it.

Nope.

Pick your line, look at the hole and commit. Still looking at the hole.

👍

Ratcatcher

Visit site
In my experience that on a breaking putt is that if you don’t look at the point of the break and you look at the hole then your brain tells you to putt at the hole hence missing the putt

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Another good putting display and overall performance yesterday. Still looking at the hole when putting. My distance control especially has really benefited from doing this, most putts are dead weight now instead of my pathetic leaving everything short.

The more you do it the more the confidence grows. Holed out well from 6 feet and under.

Never up never in - that's the saying.

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
Another good putting display and overall performance yesterday. Still looking at the hole when putting. My distance control especially has really benefited from doing this, most putts are dead weight now instead of my pathetic leaving everything short.

The more you do it the more the confidence grows. Holed out well from 6 feet and under.

Never up never in - that's the saying.

This is weird i was playing golf yesterday with a boy and he kept looking at me when i was tending the flag for him. Todays a new day no more of that nonsense.