Putters - how many

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
To be fair I did start playing in 1970, at least that's my excuse.
Me too. Started in the long hot summer of 1976. Can't remember my first putter at all but as I got a half set with my post office saving certificates (see I'm an old git too) I doubt it would have been an expensive one. Had a Ben Sayers copy of Anser and then got my Anser c1982/83. Had that for years and years and even when I got back into golf so no idea where this putter buying frenzy started or came from

D

Deleted member 18588

Me too. Started in the long hot summer of 1976. Can't remember my first putter at all but as I got a half set with my post office saving certificates (see I'm an old git too) I doubt it would have been an expensive one. Had a Ben Sayers copy of Anser and then got my Anser c1982/83. Had that for years and years and even when I got back into golf so no idea where this putter buying frenzy started or came from

Putters have been only a small indulgence.

I have owned more than 20 sets of irons in the last 8 years. However, I only ever keep one at a time.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
How can I tell?
It certainly looks old, can't even remember where I got it, but I do know I've never used it!

If you're able to post a picture of the face and sole I might be able to tell.

(It should look like a flat blade, similar to a Spalding Cash-In, rather than the flanged 8802 type)

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is what it is, Crow, sorry they're a bit large!

D0mCCUh.jpg

YNvX49A.jpg

ezKZsQr.jpg

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Thanks for the pics Slime.
As I thought it's very similar to my Spalding Cash-In putter, which I putt pretty well with.

How much would you want for it?
And are you at any of the following meets this year?
  • Old Farts v Whippersnappers
  • Sunningdale
  • Fish's BHF event at Coventry
  • H4H

Picture of the Cash-In.

Spalding Cash-In + Penfold Ace.jpg

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the pics Slime.
As I thought it's very similar to my Spalding Cash-In putter, which I putt pretty well with.

How much would you want for it?
And are you at any of the following meets this year?
  • Old Farts v Whippersnappers
  • Sunningdale
  • Fish's BHF event at Coventry
  • H4H

Currently not at any of the meets. :(
I'm assuming it's a genuine one, woo hoo.
I honestly have no idea on a value, you're the expert ......................... any thoughts?
I'll give it a try on the putting green, that'd be fun, before I decide what I want to do with it.
Whatever happens, you'll definitely have first refusal on it, guaranteed.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's not as popular a model as the Wilson 8802 which can make some money (at least in vintage club terms which is still peanuts).

A quick search on ebay completed listings shows only one sold recently as below for £20 but it's in excellent condition and has been refurbished.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WILSON-STAFF-8803-Putter-Stainless-Steel-RH-refurb-not-Scotty-Odyssey-PING-/123643985958?hash=item1cc9c18026:g:6zIAAOSwuARcTeOy&nma=true&si=ZBTOemhF7aFABaE%2FEhbZhYVVeCY%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Thanks Crow ............................... at least I now know it's worth close to squat!
I'll maybe have a little play with it then possibly send it your way if you're interested.