putters (1 2 all)

ianmc

Club Champion
Visit site
does anyone have an opinion on odesseys range of putters.I have a two ball srt on my christmas wish list and its got to be better than the piece of s**t ive got at the moment.ive tried one and certainly feld solid from close range but ive never used one on the course.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had a Never Compromise and one day I was waiting to get a basket of balls at the range when I had a jab with the Odyssey No7 and was amazed by the feel I got off the face of the outter. I walked out the proud owner of a new putter and had to dip into the 'undeclareables' tgo fund it. To be fair the guy gave me £50 for the NC which I oaid £20 for.

ianmc

Club Champion
Visit site
AT THE MOMENT THE PUTTER IS ICE COLD AND ITS HE ONLY CLUB IN MY BAG THAT ISNT MADE BY A DECENT BRAND HOPING TO SAVE A FEW SHOTS ON THE GREEN WITH A DECENT PUTTER AS THIS IS WHERE MY GAME NEEDS APPROVEMENT MOST I RECENTLY HIT 18 GREENS IN REGULATION AND WALKED OFF WITH A 74 AFTER SEVERAL 3 PUTTS IS IT ME OR THE TECHNOLOGY HAS ANYONE ELSE FOUND A FEW SHOTS WITH THE HELP OF A NEW SHINY PUTTER OR MAYBE A CONFIDENCE THING AFTER ALL?

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My opinion is that of all the clubs in your bag, the putter is the only one that doesn't have to be a "brand" club.
A lot of the tour pros have only changed their putter once or twice in their careers where as other have went through hundreds.
I think the secret is that once you have found the putter that is right FOR YOU then don't let it out of your sight because it will be the most important club you'll ever own.

In saying that though, I thought I was quite happy with my slazenger blue thingy that I got from a disenchanted mate until I had a wee shot of a TM Rossa Monte Carlo recently.
It instantly felt like we had been seperated at birth and we were meant to be together forever. I couldn't feel where my hands stopped and the club started. Beautiful.
It has definately made it on to my Santa list.

Drive Safely,

Atticus.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
AT THE MOMENT THE PUTTER IS ICE COLD AND ITS HE ONLY CLUB IN MY BAG THAT ISNT MADE BY A DECENT BRAND HOPING TO SAVE A FEW SHOTS ON THE GREEN WITH A DECENT PUTTER AS THIS IS WHERE MY GAME NEEDS APPROVEMENT MOST I RECENTLY HIT 18 GREENS IN REGULATION AND WALKED OFF WITH A 74 AFTER SEVERAL 3 PUTTS IS IT ME OR THE TECHNOLOGY HAS ANYONE ELSE FOUND A FEW SHOTS WITH THE HELP OF A NEW SHINY PUTTER OR MAYBE A CONFIDENCE THING AFTER ALL?

Definatly a confidence thing, belive your a bad putter you will become a bad putter.
Also buying a putter is not all about having the latest thing it's about what you feel comfortable with. that and a lot of (dare i say it) practice

Mowgli

Hacker
Visit site
I am on the look out for a new putter as my scotty is well past its sell by date and yesterday tried out the White Hot Rossie at AG which felt really good.

I would never have throught of buying an odessey putter espeically a mallet but i must say i think i maybe converted and they are reasonably priced as well.

If i do purchase the said putter should i be fitted for it.

Regards,

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have 3 putters. A 1970's ping, an odyssey dual force 2001? (stronomic insert) and a cheap but heavy Niclaus TB 3, copy of Ping Craze-e.
I like them all....they also have one thing in common, which is not similar in the majority of putters on the market - they are quite upright (in other words, when the base of the head is flat to the ground, the shaft is more vertical. This helps me keep my head/eyes dircetly over the ball and make a straighter stroke. The modern odysseys are not so upright, so you end up standing further away from the ball. I have noticed this with my club players, consequently, their putting strokes are made with their eyes inside the line of the ball. It does cost....in my opinion. Odysseys are great, but you need to adjust the placement of yoru hands to ensure the correct stance, the pros have worked this out, but not the average joe!!!

Dave

P

pingpal

I had an Odyssey SRT 2 ball earlier this year, got on ok with it but changed it for a TM Daytona and I am sticking with that. Kind of agree with Atticus about how he describes the TM Monte Carlo.
Putting for me is all about confidence. When you're confident you relax, breathe easier and grip more lightly. My putting has improved this year on reading advice from Ernie Els where he only strokes the ball when he is breathing out - takes a little getting used to but has helped me stroke it smoother.

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've used the same putter for years and I know that when things are going my way I feel like I can hole from anywhere. Equally, when I'm having an off day on the greens, I feel like I would need a bucket sized hole to be any use. In short, it's the Indian, not the arrows (as Lee Trevino once said).

I always think that spending a lot on a putter that claims to have increased "feel" is a waste of money. I mean, how much feel do you really get when the ball is only on the clubface for a fraction of a second? Plus by the time you've struck the ball, surely it's too late for feel to have any effect? Having said that, I keep my glove on when putting so what do I know??

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
i love my old ping anser, but recently been looking at the harold swash, 'YES' range of putters and am well impressed. They are based just down the road in southport so am considering getting custom fit for one.

P

pingpal

Don't believe all the hype about Yes putters. I had a Natalie once, when holding it I thought I couldn't miss but the feel was so tinny and light I couldn't hole anything with it. I also had a Callie for a while and and that was much better than the Natalie but I've enjoyed more success with Odysseys and the new Taylor Made putters.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
b.t.w. nearly all of you (especially odyssey owners) are playing with a stronomic insert. It's the non-metal section in the face of many putters.
In the dual force it's much softer than the metal of the head, designed (primarily) for putting on fast greens.
I got it for £2 at a boot sale.....

Dave

DCB

Visit site
In 1996 I bought a Dual Force II which was absolutely brilliant. It was just the weight I needed for our greens at that time. I still use it during the winter months, but, the shaft has become a bit marked and pitted with rust spots. Still a magical creature on slower greens.

In the summer I use a 2 Ball one of the original ones, I bought it after Paul Lawrie used one to win the Dunhill at St Andrews and thought it was such a simple concept. It works well and certainly boosts your confidence and makes it easier to make a repeatable stroke on the green.

I admit at times I do look at others in the shops, but I still can't find anything which feels like my 2 Ball Odyssey.

Well made, well balanced, ideal for me!

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm pleased you like your Odyssey 2 ball. Perhaps you could come and give a lesson to some of the terrible putters at my course who use this model!! :) :)

I never quite got into my Dual Force, except maybe in very dry/fast conditions. At the moment my putter is heavy and I'm pleased to see nearly every thing go well past the hole.

I think most players would benefit from heavier rather than lighter. The 2 ball is hardly a wafty thing is it? It's probably a great choice, if you can get used to the shaft lie/angle

Dave

Up_Point_1

Head Pro
Visit site
Must confess to being abit of a compulsive putter changer but for no apparent reason. In the past 2 years i've bought a Yes Putter, a Taylor Made Putter, and a Ping. All 3 have since been despatched on E-Bay and i've now gone back to my original Putter, an Odyssey DFX 2 Ball.

The advice given above about once you've found a putter you like then stick with it is absolutely spot on. I've sadly lost about £200 chasing a better putter when ironically I had it in my possession all the time.

Have also learnt something else, a putter is only as good as the chump on the end of it ;)

DHM.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Don't get me started on putters. Currently cluttering the bedroom are a Ping Anser 2, a Ram zebra amllet and old brass headed Ben Sayers Justin (just in - geddit) which is a Ping Anser opy/rip off, an Odyssey dual force. I am currently using the new(ish) Oddysey Marxman mallet.

The story of the tale is that each of these putters have worked well at some point or another only to go cold and fall out of favour and be usurped by aonother new shinier model.

Having realised it is the burk at the end of the stick and in a bid to get my handicap down (as documented in my golfing blog) I invested in a putting lesson. Armed with my new putter I now aim correctly, have my eyes over the ball and a solid and more importantly repeatable action. Even if every putt doesn't drop at least when I am standing over it I feel every putt at least has a chance of making it.

I'd thoroughly recommend putting lessons. Although a game within a game if you can get the bio-mechanics and set up correct in my newly cleared mind you should be able to use the proverbial broom to knock them in with.

Happy golfing

Homer