Putter Question

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
How do you determine the appropriate length for your putter?

Go and see someone who knows what they're doing.

I can only guess that the correct length is dependent on height/arm length/posture/grip/LIE etc.

I can't see how guessing or chopping length off can be the sensible option.

OK, as a minimum (if you feel really uncomfortable) try a few out and see if shorter/longer putters suit you but ideally get help.

I had a lesson/CF for my putter with a pro who did specific putter fitting training. Sorted me out big time and made a difference to my putting overnight. Best bit of all is that once you know what sort of spec you are after, you know what to look at in the shop if/when you get bored of your existing putter.

I found one with an almost identical spec to my mallet and putted great with it straight off the shelf.

Get some pro help....best investment EVER i.m.o.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Surely, if the swing weight is different, the feel is different......so the question that needs an answer is - "will it have an adverse effect?"

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
While I agree Ethan and Dodger, it will make a difference I still maintain it will be so small, most golfers wont notice.
Of all the putters I've shortened, no-one has mentioned the change in weight/balance of their putters and no-one has come back and asked me to change it back to the original length.
I guess that means they're all happy.
So, does it make a difference.....yes
Would most people notice....probably not.
Will it improve your putting to have a putter thats the right length for you...in my experience, almost certainly.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bob

Could you not have suggested that the player gripped down the putter an inch or so?

Most of the people are down to the steel already and the end of the grip catches their clothing.

It's a good point. The grip I use (suggested by my pro, not made up by me!) covers a surprising amount of the grip, as you say, almost down to the steel shaft.

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bob

Could you not have suggested that the player gripped down the putter an inch or so?

Most of the people are down to the steel already and the end of the grip catches their clothing.

What? Is this a club for people of especially restricted growth?

I'm afraid that's me then at 5'9". I'm not rushing into to having anything lopped off until the practice green is open again.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Yeup, they're all short a***s
Seriously, you can putt any way you want but if you keep your eyes over the ball and your arms hanging in a relaxed manner unless you are quite tall, 35-36 inch putters are going to be too long for most.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Of all the putters I've shortened, no-one has mentioned the change in weight/balance of their putters and no-one has come back and asked me to change it back to the original length.

Or they've bought another putter. :eek: :eek:

When I shorten a putter I always tell the person if they dont like it, bring it back and I'll restore it to how it was, no charge.

didsbury_duffer

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Or they've bought another putter. :eek: :eek:

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interesting thread as I bought a longer than standard Odyssey White Hot a few years back.

Being just over6 foot 2 tall, thought I would need that length. Now, having sorted my posture for putting I find that I am more or less on to the metal as well. This is making putting difficult because the top of the shaft is catching my clothes, especially when wearing waterproofs.

Will see the pro to check set up and ask him to amend the length.

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Yeup, they're all short a***s
Seriously, you can putt any way you want but if you keep your eyes over the ball and your arms hanging in a relaxed manner unless you are quite tall, 35-36 inch putters are going to be too long for most.

Cheers mate. :mad:

The one thing I was reasonably happy with was my putting set up.

And now you've gone and got me doubting that :D

I'm 5'11 with 35 inches ( it brings tears to the eyes, I say :rolleyes: ) and now you say that's too much.

D'ya think they'll have any old B60 putters on the Ping Bus ?