Putter Question

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bored and fed up by the snow, I picked up a Pathfinder system. Only got it yesterday but it immediately highlighted that my eyes were not over the ball at address.

The only way I could achieve this was by choking down on my putter which led me to thinking that it might be too long.

How do you determine the appropriate length for your putter?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Stand with your eyes over the ball. Let your arms hang down and then bring your hands together. Thats where your putter grip should be.
Most people who haven't been fitted for a putter usually have putters too long for them.

How tall are you?

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Stand with your eyes over the ball. Let your arms hang down and then bring your hands together. Thats where your putter grip should be.
Most people who haven't been fitted for a putter usually have putters too long for them.

How tall are you?

That's basically what I did and it would mean taking 1-2 inches off the putter.

I'm 5'9".

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I do it by bending at the waist to a comfortable address position then letting my arms hang naturally, no bend in the elbows and then take my grip. That is where I cut my putter down to. This (for me)means that I will always grip the putter at the same place on the grip which leads to better consistency in the stroke. I'm 5ft8 and my putter is cut to 31".

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

How tall are you?

That's basically what I did and it would mean taking 1-2 inches off the putter.

I'm 5'9".

Take your putter to your local pro and ask his opinion.
If he agrees it's too long, he'll be able to shorten it for you in about 10 minutes at the cost of no more than £3-£5. I'm sure he'll be pleased of your company. :)

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Take your putter to your local pro and ask his opinion.
If he agrees it's too long, he'll be able to shorten it for you in about 10 minutes at the cost of no more than £3-£5. I'm sure he'll be pleased of your company. :)

I popped up yesterday to get a couple of wedges regripped. He did seem a bit lonely!

I've measured my putter and the shaft is 33" which I reckon is too long.

I did by it entirely off the shelf in a fit of rage with my old one. I just could line it up any more so decided to sack it after 12 years' service.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I've measured my putter and the shaft is 33" which I reckon is too long.

Is that just the shaft or the whole putter including the head?
If so, I would suggest you try a shorter one in the shop if he has one first.
If he doesnt and he shortens yours and you dont like it, he can always change it back to the original size.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It does sound like the OP needs something a tad shorter (obviously dependant on his pros advice). It seems clear there is an obvious demand for 33" or less but you got to any big retailer or even online and it is very difficult to find any major name in stock that isn't 34 or 35". Why do the putter manufacturers continue to make these lengths as standard?

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've cut both my putters down to an overall length of 31" with no detriment whatsoever to the putter. It's an easy job to do as long as you can put a grip on. If not do what Bobmac says and let your pro do it for you. If I used a 35" model I'd be gripping it on the steel.

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is that just the shaft or the whole putter including the head?
If so, I would suggest you try a shorter one in the shop if he has one first.
If he doesnt and he shortens yours and you dont like it, he can always change it back to the original size.

It's just the shaft. The head would be half an inch on top of that.

I'm going to practice with the Pathfinder and see how far I need to choke down to keep my eyes consistently over the ball. A trip to the Pro next week will be in order.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I understand that but my point is that 35" seems too long for the majority (if they were addressing the ball correctly) so why not stock 33 and 34" and give people half a chance of buying something to suit without then going to the hassle and additional expense of having to get it changed again later on

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

Bob, Should the knees be flexed or straight? Does it matter or is it down to individual preference?

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bob as in a previous post im having problems with my short putts my long putts at this moment are really good.One thing i would like to add mostly i play a parkland course with relatively slow greens every other week i play a fast links course and i do find it difficult to adapt to the faster greens.Ive tried previous suggestions like looser grip,dont look at hole,put a line on ball etc.Im 6ft 1 and use a scotty red x 35" i also hunch over the ball a bit as i slouch and have been told to stand up straighter but it hurts my back so i have to slouch a bit.Any expert advice would be welcome,ta.

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just spent an hour practising with the Pathfinder. Terrifying just how much my putter was moving all over the place when I first started but after a while it started to get into a groove and the putter face was much squarer through impact.

I definitely need a bit chopped off the putter though. To get a comfortable stance with my eyes over the ball, I was almost gripping down onto the shaft itself.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Bob as in a previous post im having problems with my short putts.Any expert advice would be welcome,ta.

The normal problem people have when they are good at the long putts and not the short ones is the length of the backswing.
A longish b/swing is ok for long putts but no good for short ones.
If your b/swing is too long on short putts especially on fast greens, you have to decelerate into the ball.
I would suggest you check the length of your backswing on the short ones. If its long, shorten it and accelerate through the ball with a longer followthrough.

That will be £10 please ;)