Putter help

Darren24

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi all,
I'm looking to find some consistency with a putter. My main aim is to stop leaving long puts very short. I have only been playing regularly for a year so don't expect miracles. I'm looking to find a putter of around 33-34" long and 360g + head weight. I find that when I bringing the putter head back I wobble slightly. My putter is a Nike ever clear 35" 342g. I don't like the length as feel I'm too upright and it feels far to light. Any help would be much appreciated.

Darren

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
To me, it's really a case of trying quite a few out - especially different styles - and examining the results. Looking for specific head weights is a bit counter-productive imo - and I've tried that route! Golf Superstores tend to be reasonable accepting of such testing.

Heavy-ish putters, which 360gms is starting to get close to, can actually be a cause of leaving long putts short - as the additional weight screws with the brain - making it think it is going to send it miles past the hole! It's quite possible that that's also the cause of the 'wobble' too!

Finding a putter that you like the feel of - whatever that happens to be, as it's different for different folk - and then practicing so that your brain doesn't get scared and try to 'correct' your swing, is the best way to get the confidence (what putting is all about) imo!

One thing you dp appear to have learned though, id that 35" seems to be too long for you. It took me quite a bit of experimentation to really figure that out - and one of the Pros involved couldn't believe I was opting for a 'Ladies' putter (a 33" 2-Ball that just felt right!)!

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you want a new putter you could do worse than what I have for a heavy one.....

I bought an Odyssey Tank Cruiser putter (35"), have zero weight in the grip end, just the cap, and the lightest weights in the head.

I think the head is 360/365 like that and works a treat, for me at least. I grip down 1 or 2".

Failing that the new Ping Cadence ones have a heavy version that's about 360/365.

Darren24

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you want a new putter you could do worse than what I have for a heavy one.....

I bought an Odyssey Tank Cruiser putter (35"), have zero weight in the grip end, just the cap, and the lightest weights in the head.

I think the head is 360/365 like that and works a treat, for me at least. I grip down 1 or 2".

Failing that the new Ping Cadence ones have a heavy version that's about 360/365.

I was looking at the tank but the 35" length was the stumbling block.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I was looking at the tank but the 35" length was the stumbling block.

The length isn't a problem. Any decent shop you buy it from should be able to shorten it for you, and if they can't, your pro will be able to.

I struggle to stop the head wobbling with a toe down putter. I'd definitely recommend trying a face balanced one.

If that makes no sense to you, balance the putter on your finger by the shaft and with a face balanced one the face will point to the ceiling. I'd guess yours will be around 45 degrees toe down.

Darren24

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The length isn't a problem. Any decent shop you buy it from should be able to shorten it for you, and if they can't, your pro will be able to.

I struggle to stop the head wobbling with a toe down putter. I'd definitely recommend trying a face balanced one.

If that makes no sense to you, balance the putter on your finger by the shaft and with a face balanced one the face will point to the ceiling. I'd guess yours will be around 45 degrees toe down.

thanks I have a 1/4 toe down and I understand what face balance is so will give them a go in the shop next time.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Several options. Get a putting lesson and get a pro to check your technique and give you some advice on your long putting and whether your putter suits your stroke

Buy a new putter. Try before you buy as it's the most individualistic club in the bag

Practice your putting and get confidence in your current model.

Whichever road you go down I hope you find what your're looking for and start to lag it close again. It really helps the scores

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Firstly, get a decent pro to look at why you are 'wobbling'. Secondly, get the same pro to look at your stroke. If they are coming up short, you're not stroking it hard or consistently enough. :D Thirdly, once [1] and [2] are sorted, then see if you want to change putter.