putter grips Large V Standard size

Darren24

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What are the benefits of a larger grip on the putter from a standard grip to 1.32 or 1.60. I like the feel of the bigger grips but do not know what the true benefits of one is? Apart from it feels nicer more comfortable and control. What are you views?

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
What are the benefits of a larger grip on the putter from a standard grip to 1.32 or 1.60. I like the feel of the bigger grips but do not know what the true benefits of one is? Apart from it feels nicer more comfortable and control. What are you views?

The idea of them is that it keeps the hands/wrist more passive meaning your stroke is controlled by the bigger muscles (shoulders/chest etc),

I moved to a superstroke 2.0 mid-slim about a year ago, i had definitely helped

SugarPenguin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have recently got a much larger grip as well as having my putter cut down to 27 inch.

This just allows me to swing my shoulders which has helped me be more consistent.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Been using one for just over 3 years now and really helped my putting.

Started with a Winn one but now have Superstroke 3.0 and it's fab, great for 3 footers and no lose of feel for longer putts ;)

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I cut down my original Ping G5i Tessa and put a fatty on it and the results were excellent, not as wristy and felt much more in control, I lost the feel at first due to the massive difference but I soon got it back.

I have now changed to a CB Daddy Long Legs with their standard grip and again the improvement and confidence it gives me is excellent, so whilst the fatter grip worked for me with a traditional putter, the more standard grip is just as good if not better with a CB putter.

Darren24

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Great replies thanks. I have a 34" putter and was thinking of cutting it down to 32" and putting a 1.60 grip on. At the moment on the 34" shaft I find I'm gripping the club right at the base of the grip.

Heavy-grebo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I bought a putter with a G-Rip fat grip already on it just to try a fat grip out even though I was sure my wrists were solid, after using the fatty for a round I hit some with a normal grip and I could really feel my wrists breaking. So they definitely work, don't like fat grips though the putter felt numb, but I practice with it.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Fat grips definitely help if your putting stroke is a bit yippy, or too wristy. I have fitted my putter with a Super Stroke 'Claw' grip, which is 13 inches long as well as slightly fat. I putt with the claw grip anyway, but the long grip allows me to grip down the club for short putts without going down onto the metal shaft.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I put an odyssey jumbo grip on my Protype tour to quieten the hands down. Now apart from it not fitting in the putter well of my bag I'm not overly convinced it's made too much difference in recent weeks. I'm looking to revert to a standard grip although I may be swapping to a Ping Cadence #2 anyway (standard grip).

It's a personal thing and if you can try a large/jumbo grip on a similar putter type then you'll get an idea how it feels for you.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have heard they work, only known the odd person go back after trying one.

The only bad words I hear about them is that they don't fit in bags/putter holders!

If you struggle with wrist issues go for it! I doubt you will regret it. Its not the only solution, another option is to do what I did and buy a V-Easy and practice to get the wrist action out the stroke.