Putter advice please

GUB

Visit site
Hi,

My current putter was something of an impulse buy (Odyssey White hot #6) and find it very heavy - that is to say I struggle to get a decent feel for distance and either end up rolling several feet past the hole, or coming up hugely short. Can anyone recommend a blade style putter that has a better balance of weighting between the head and the shaft?

Thanks!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If you're anything like me I just can't get to grips with insert putters. Try the new Karsten range from Ping. I've got the Piper and its just a steel face. They do Anser and Zing versions and they don't break the bank. £65 is the rrp I think. Well worth a look. I find it easier to control pace without a soft insert -I use a soft ball as well so maybe that doesn't help but I reckon if you leave inserts alone that natural feel will return.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I bought myself one of the Ping range. It was an Anser for £65 but to be honest even with soft balls like Pro V's I found it too harsh off the face. I have an original Anser2 from the 80's at home and tried that out a while back. Again it felt very firm but may be worth a go on slower/wet greens.

Out of interest, I put my old dualforce 554 (black insert) in the bag one day last week and maybe it was because it was hot and the greens were firm but it also felt quite lively. I raced several putts 4-6 feet past without any undue effort.

I've been putting really well with my two ball blade (XG2) except for Saturdays comp where I couldn't buy a putt. However I'm getting a TM Rossa Spider putter courtesy of GM this week so I'm luck a dog on heat waiting to get that in my bag and try it out.

HartleyHare

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I bought a Wilson Blackjack V, for £14.99 from my pro shop and I love it.
my putting has improved tenfold.

I don't often miss from inside 6 foot and my long putts are normally within 3 ft, i struggle sometimes if the greens are wet but that's more of an experience thing, i think.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ping Karsten B60 - not quite a pure blade, but sits square, feels good and gives me confidence (even if sometimes misplaced!)

Agree, this is a great putter for the money. It was close between this and the Benross Pure Red that I finally opted for.

andiritchie

Journeyman Pro
HOTMAIL.COM
the b60 is a classic putter i have a old nickel one which is in need of some attention i might get it sorted and play with that instead of getting a cameron,

just a question if there is any scotty cameron users what do you all think of them,

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have 3 Scotties, and I love them all.

The new Studio select is a tad firm off the face, and better for winter / slower greens.

The Circa 62s (no. 1 and 2) are fantastic, but tend to rust at the meerest sniff off a damp day, unless the head cover is full of WD40.

Expensive too.

My favourite (at the moment) is the circa 62 no.2.

B

birdieman

I love Scotties but alas they don't seem to love me!
I am currently selling a Circa 62 No.3, I just can't get any confidence with it, lag putting I find it hard to control pace and with short putts the sweet spot is just too small, you have to hit it exactly in line with the mark or you get a dead shot coming up short. I think you need a very low takeaway with these and I don't have that. I had a Newport 2 a few years back and it was sold too. I know they're good putters it's just I'm an inconsistent striker so something more forgiving was needed.
At present I am trying an Odyssey XG no.5 centre shafted and a MD Rio mallet, just to have a complete change.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I previously had a two ball dfx, which had a really forgiving roll, felt great, really consistent, holed out from every where, very forgiving, fantastic putter.

Ugly as sin, which is why I sold it.

Scotties do need a good, consistent technique, as do most bladed putters. I tried a red x recently, and that felt a bit more forgiving than the bladed styles.

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
When I was in Wales last week at Clays for my Mizuno fit, I took the opportunity for some advice from the guy at their indoor putting complex.
He told me that if you have a straight back, straight through putting style, you need a face balanced putter.
If you have a in to in style then a toe weighted one is the order of the day.
I found it very imformative as whenever I have purchased a utter in the past I have gone on how it looked and felt without any consideration for any of this.

andiritchie

Journeyman Pro
HOTMAIL.COM
thanks for the advice i fancy a scotty now as my odyssey feels a bit soft paired with a soft ball,i dont like hitting the ball on long putts much sooner stroke them so maybe i steel faced putter might help,plus scottys dont lose any money and in ten years if in good nick will be worth more