Pushing long putts

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
My putting isn’t a strength. I get streaky sometimes but on the whole it’s bang average.

But I do notice that almost every single long putt where I need to hit the ball hard to get to the hole that I open up just at the point of impact and it goes right. It’s like a yip and I can feel it big time.

Any drills to keep this from happening?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Shift your focus from your stroke. Concentrate on the hole.

Another great tip I was given was concentrate on the distance when it comes to long putts, distance control is key not direction. It was explained to me that you are very unlikely to ever by more than 6"-10" out with your aim unless you get a read drastically wrong. If your distance is spot on then you are leaving yourself a tap in from close range.

Made great sense to me and it's something I still do today.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Could be a different putter might help .
Some insert putters are so soft on the face that you do have to hit to hard .
A milled face with no insert might help if on slow greens.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Shift your focus from your stroke. Concentrate on the hole.

Another great tip I was given was concentrate on the distance when it comes to long putts, distance control is key not direction. It was explained to me that you are very unlikely to ever by more than 6"-10" out with your aim unless you get a read drastically wrong. If your distance is spot on then you are leaving yourself a tap in from close range.

Made great sense to me and it's something I still do today.

I've done similar this year. No line on the ball anymore, which caused me to focus too much on exact stroke and starting line.

Purely focused on pace now, with a more instinctive stroke on lag putts. If you get the pace right then you're rarely more than 3 foot away. Massively improved putting recently.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It's been my method for years.
Pace is King
Anything outside 10 feet is more likely to be missed than holed.
Of course we all want to hole long putts but from distance you need to be looking at not 3 putting.
How many times do you near "good line just a bit pacey/short"
Most of us can pick a line fairly easily - rather than trying to hole putts of 20-30 feet, look to get them within a couple of feet to a yard away.
And you're more likely to do that with the correct pace.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Once You get beyond 6ft away the odds of holing the ball drop pretty rapidly , just concentrate on pace and as long as the line is roughly right you'll do ok.