Push Fade

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Im a bit confused here....If you say your Push Fading the ball....It starts a few yards right of the target and then cuts a little why would you not just shift your aim a little more left with the same swing....Job Done!
Maybe your picking the wrong target for the swing path!

A push fade is a great shot to have in reserve....
I think that i push fade mostly my 3 wood and driver and maybe the long irons at times....But ill give the shape room to move.....Aim to start the ball down the edge of the left rough if you have a pretty tight dispersion.....Or just outside left edge of the green for approach shots....

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Im a bit confused here....If you say your Push Fading the ball....It starts a few yards right of the target and then cuts a little why would you not just shift your aim a little more left with the same swing....Job Done!
Maybe your picking the wrong target for the swing path!

!!! We are not allowed to mention aiming more left!!!

Tiger hit an almightly push-fade last week, high fading 3-wood from 260yds, he was aiming 50+yds left of the green with his body line, started the ball just left of the green and it missed to the right by 10yds.... total movement in the air from left edge of the green to where it landed was probably 40yds and the commentators were all saying he sliced it !!!????? Knobs.

Last edited:

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Because that's what he put in the opening post...... it's up there at the beginning ^^^^^ if you want to read it :) LOL

Question:

How do I get the ball to start further towards the middle and still push fade without turning the shot into a pull fade?

And don't say aim more left......

If the OP wants to start the ball more to the middle im guessing that say he wants his ball to reach a desired destination say...(Pin cut on the right side of the green). He wants to push fade it into a tucked pin.......He has to start the ball left of that pin?
He still has to aim left of the destination for the ball to end up at the destination with a push fade.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
i think the (only?) reason that the OP-er is saying 'Dont say Aim more Left' is that that is the road to a 'hacker's slice'! He may alredy be 'Aiming' as far left of target as he wants/dares with the intention of using the Push-Fade to end up in the desired position.

As a possibility - to identify the 'culprit' - would it be worth practicing the same stroke (Push-Fade) but setting up closed to the 'target'. This might have the effect of identifying what the (unconscious?) adjustment has been that has changed the result from the desired one to an undesired one.

BTW. While I'm a Pull-Fader, I find that not only do I have to A-m Left but, at least as importantly, I have to Think Left (left edge of fairway in fact as well).

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
i think the (only?) reason that the OP-er is saying 'Dont say Aim more Left' is that that is the road to a 'hacker's slice'! He may alredy be 'Aiming' as far left of target as he wants/dares with the intention of using the Push-Fade to end up in the desired position.

This is the main reasn I dont want to be aiming 20 yards left of middle. However, that said. I doing that (aiming left) is the correct way to position myself for a push fade then so be it, that's what I'll do.

Gareth, is your swing in to out, square or out to in?

In all honesty Bob I'd say fractionally out-to in-with an open club face as the ball is starting to the right (Club face at impact) then fading due to a combination of the out-to in swing path and the club face being fractinally open to it?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
In all honesty Bob I'd say fractionally out-to in-with an open club face as the ball is starting to the right (Club face at impact) then fading due to a combination of the out-to in swing path and the club face being fractinally open to it?

So if the ball is starting too far right, what do you think you will need to change?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
You're not as daft as you look :)

:rofl:

My problem as you know from previous threads Bob is I hold off on the release. It used to be because of my strong grip, but that's now more neutral now and I think/know this is where my problem is I.E not getting the club head square through a good release.

I have no problem with my irons, even a 3 iron but I just cannot seem to get it right with the driver.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I have no problem with my irons, even a 3 iron but I just cannot seem to get it right with the driver.

As your 3 iron has a shorter shaft and double the amount of loft of your driver, it may be hiding the fade.
I dont want to get too involved in S&T problems so I suggest you ask James. He'll no doubt tell you to wiggle your hips by and extra 3 degrees, move the ball forward 1.7 inches and increase the angle of dangle by 3.4 litres.;-)

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was developing a push fade, i have "fixed" it by aligning the ball further forward only about 1" ish, probably around big toe/toe #2 rather than left heel. that probably is not the way of properly fixing it, but it has worked for me! essentially i am hitting the ball slightly later when the club face has closed a touch more i presume... It deffo works though, drove through the back of a 295yrd par 4 green last week with a very slight draw.

A

Alex1975

Cough cough... I did suggest closing or squaring the clubhead at address!!

There are only really two things that you can do, change the path of the swingor adjust the club head at impact. 80% of the first part of the ball flight isdictated by the club face angle and it’s the first part is the bit your havingan issue with.

Clearly I am not a pro, just an enthusiast….

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Important open to correction here. And this is just an observation but how is it possible to hit a push fadept with an out to in swing path....
I thought a push fade wash hit with an in to out or an in to in swingpath......

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Important open to correction here. And this is just an observation but how is it possible to hit a push fadept with an out to in swing path....
I thought a push fade wash hit with an in to out or an in to in swingpath......

I agree. And squaring the face will turn that into a straight Push - which may or may not be more desirable than the P-F.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Um..um..

I'm not going to read all this. BUT, if I'm hitting genuine push/fade shots, then I just tweak my grip round and hit draws instead!

Works for me. I hit 10 pushed in a row today (5 bogeys) then adjusted my grip and played the rest of the course only dropping 3 more shots.