'Pured' strikes

ruff-driver

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Probably a rare thing amongst us weekend warriors if such a thing exists.

Ever hit a shot into a cross wind that does not move an inch ?

Had several today that didn't move when played for, is it that you have pured it out the middle with zero side spin that it holds it's line regardless of the breeze, also had several that carried a lot further than expected

Freak hits or should i turn pro :D

D

Deleted Member 1156

I had one that I remember quite clearly, didn't move an inch despite a strong left to right cross wind. Hit it pin high :)

30 yards into the lake at the left of the green :eek:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I had one that I remember quite clearly, didn't move an inch despite a strong left to right cross wind. Hit it pin high :)

30 yards into the lake at the left of the green :eek:

Pretty similar for me! Didn't feel thing and watched it fly perfectly straight into knee high grass - again, pin high and 30+ yards left, about the worst possible line to that pin!

D

Deleted Member 1156

At least you had a shot, the lake was a lot more than knee high :eek:

:D

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Had something similar on Thursday. 180yd par 3, that i religiously come up short on with my hybrid. Overshot the green this time and was in the rough behind. Managed to scramble a par, but I was just dumbfounded at how well i struck it!

Happened a couple of other times during the round as well.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
They say the wind doesn't move a well struck ball....

I tend to believe that you've, inadvertently, put just the right amount of spin on the ball to counter the wind......:thup:

ruff-driver

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They say the wind doesn't move a well struck ball....

I tend to believe that you've, inadvertently, put just the right amount of spin on the ball to counter the wind......:thup:

Cheers ian,

didn't realise i was such a good worker of the ball. look out for me at the masters :D

snell

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had a similar discussion with a PP last week, after we both aimed left to counter act the wind, but managed to both smash beatifully straight drives...which landed us in the trees!! :sbox:

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's the sound it makes when you flush it and the shallow divot that I like.
Nowt better.

D

Deleted member 1740

Probably a rare thing amongst us weekend warriors if such a thing exists.

Ever hit a shot into a cross wind that does not move an inch ?

Had several today that didn't move when played for, is it that you have pured it out the middle with zero side spin that it holds it's line regardless of the breeze, also had several that carried a lot further than expected

Freak hits or should i turn pro :D

Start a blog first :)

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Woofed a four iron 182 into a par three to 4ft yesterday and it barely moved in a good breeze. Also shanked a 5 iron on another par three. There's amateur golf for you.. We're all capable but a little more fallible than our pro brethren.

Always used to like watching Retief Goosen in the wind. Often flawless in his striking.

Foliage Finder

Head Pro
Visit site
I had one during Storm Frank! About 170 out, poor angle into a narrow green entrance over a big bunker massive left to right crosswind, take out a 6 iron to lay up on the wider bit of fairway to chip myself on.

Unexpectedly pure it, arrow straight into rough 20 yds left of the bunker/green, stinky lie, duff the chip INTO the bunker. Out of the bunker very enthusiastically onto the far fringe, 2 putt for a 7.

I love golf...

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
At least you had a shot, the lake was a lot more than knee high :eek:

:D

Don't get many lakes on links courses!

And I've hit out of lakes/ponds before - occasionally successfully!!

A lake would have been better too! It took me 2 hacks to get into something like a reasonable position!

selwood90

Head Pro
Visit site
No better feeling than smashing It pure feeling absolutely nothing though the shaft. Unfortunately very rare though for a 20 handicapper like myself. Makes it all the more sweet when you do get one though!

snell

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had one during Storm Frank! About 170 out, poor angle into a narrow green entrance over a big bunker massive left to right crosswind, take out a 6 iron to lay up on the wider bit of fairway to chip myself on.

Unexpectedly pure it, arrow straight into rough 20 yds left of the bunker/green, stinky lie, duff the chip INTO the bunker. Out of the bunker very enthusiastically onto the far fringe, 2 putt for a 7.

I love golf...

Haha just spat my drink out reading that! :lol:

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had a few of these this year after my swing changes.

They almost came off the club silently, hardly felt like I hit it at all. Had this low controlled piercing flight and it just seemed to stay hit and in the air way longer than it should have.

Just reminded me of watching the pro's ball flight on the range at Wentworth. Their shots just seemed to carry on flying.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Had a few of these this year after my swing changes.

They almost came off the club silently, hardly felt like I hit it at all. Had this low controlled piercing flight and it just seemed to stay hit and in the air way longer than it should have.

Just reminded me of watching the pro's ball flight on the range at Wentworth. Their shots just seemed to carry on flying.

I've had a few at times. Usually under the gaze of a teaching pro. As soon as he has the money and has gone, the balls and clubs seem to know and it's back to chunks and thins. At least those ones hit properly remind me I do have a sweet spot in each one