psychology side of golf

nil1121

Head Pro
Visit site
Hello,

I'm just wondering if anybody can recommend any good golf psychology books/cds/dvd as my son has been told by his county coach he needs to start looking at this side of the game.

thanks
neil

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Another shout for Bob Rotella as his books helped me. They are available as audio books and easy to listen to so that might help if he's not keen on reading.

I have Karl Morris CDs too "Train Your Golf Brain" which I found helpful with some useful tips to calm down on the course.

Probably the best I've read is "The Inner Game" by Timothy Gallwey which has some great tips and drills to help you apply the psychology.

I'm currently reading "The Chimp Paradox" which is very powerful but depends on how old your son is as it's not such an easy read.

I've also been to a couple of seminars on NLP - not that I'm a basket case but it too is my weakness!!

Stub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Only book I have tried is Rotella's 'Golf is not a game of perfect'. Made sense but wasn't game changing for me...I still lived up to the title:p.

nil1121

Head Pro
Visit site
thanks for the replies.

My son is 15 and doesn't really do much reading so the audio books could be a good bet as could download onto his ipod for him to listen to.

thanks

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Karl Morris has a web site he also does talks around the country, he did one at our club in the summer which was attended by some elite armatures. Very interesting and not over complicated. See if you can find one at a club near you.

WideEyedFox

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Both the "Inner Game of Golf" by W Timothy Gallwey and "The Chimp Paradox" by Steve Peters are great books are share some similarities in that they explain the emotional and logical "self". The calm person who responds to the facts and the seemingly mindless one who fires off from emotions.

As the Inner Game and Golf is Not a Game of Perfect can be got for 1p from Amazon (plus P&P) I would start with one of those. Inner Game is probably easier to relate to in my opinion, it's well written and many of the topics are easy to relate to other areas of your life.

Psychology of sports can be an interesting thing, but be careful. It's easy for someone to say "you need to study that side", but you may genuinely already have good practices and triggers in some areas which you need to keep. First of all, work out what you want out of reading these books before thinking they have they answer to everything.

WideEyedFox : NLP Master Practitioner.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have found the Rotella books and audio books a bit crap tbh. Whilst he draws on experience its a lot of obvious stuff imho.

If it works for you then great but for me its a bit stop waffling and start telling me something I dont already know!