Provisional Ball

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
A recent thread touched on the subject of clearly announcing a ball as a provisional ball in cases when the original may be lost. A situation this weekend got me thinking.

On a hole with a dog-leg to the left I lashed my ball miles right - in to middle of an adjacent fairway. The other two FCs played tight (too tight in fact) to the left, so when in position to play our second shots we're probably 80 to 100 yards apart. I hit my second shot well to the right again and end up some 30 yards right of the green and scarily tight to "lost ball bear country" and need to play a provisional. They've played their shots and are walking up the left edge of fairway - ie still a long way away. Quite possibly, they are unaware what happened with my second shot. Our paths aren't likely to meet till we get to the green.

So, to whom, and/or when, do I announce that I'm playing a provisional. I worry that when we get to the green it's rather to late?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's covered in Decision 27-2a/1.3. You just have to tell your FC as soon as you can that the ball you played was a provisional.