Provisional ball

Danie

Visit site
I suspect my ball is out of bounds from the tee and hit a provisional ball. I proceed to the point where my ball crossed the margin and find it is out of bounds. Do I have to play the provisional ball or can I now ignore it, take a 2 shot penalty and play my 4 th shot from where it crossed the m

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I suspect my ball is out of bounds from the tee and hit a provisional ball. I proceed to the point where my ball crossed the margin and find it is out of bounds. Do I have to play the provisional ball or can I now ignore it, take a 2 shot penalty and play my 4 th shot from where it crossed the m

That depends if your committee has introduced the appropriate local rule under the revised rules to allow that. If that local rule is in place, then the competition cannot be a handicap qualifier.

Danie

Visit site
That depends if your committee has introduced the appropriate local rule under the revised rules to allow that. If that local rule is in place, then the competition cannot be a handicap qualifier.
Which ball is in play. If your ball is out of bounds and found surely then the choice is still yours to declare your provisional ball to be in play. You cannot be required to play the original ball as in the case of a lost ball in a penalty area.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Which ball is in play. If your ball is out of bounds and found surely then the choice is still yours to declare your provisional ball to be in play. You cannot be required to play the original ball as in the case of a lost ball in a penalty area.

If your ball is out of bounds in a competition then you will play the provisional ball under penalty

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
As imurg correctly posted in post #6 once you have played a provisional ball any option to proceed under the new LR for a lost, or OOB, ball ceases.
In this case it is therefore irrelevant whether that LR was in place.
Your are therefore required to continue with your provisional, which is now your ball in play.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
As stated, if a provisional is played the new Local Rule may not be used.
However, the relief for the local rule would not be where the ball crossed the margin. There is more to it than that but it's not worth specifying it here as the local rule is simply not applicable in this case.