Provisional Ball question

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I tend to look at how deliberate misusing of the rules can affect things. In this situation my FC and I might agree where we think my first ball is but I decide to take a provisional just in case - OK.

My provisional is good, though a bit shorter than where we think my first ball is - OK

As we walk to my provisional I spot my original ball in a really horrid place shorter than my provisional but my FC doesn't spot it. I decide that I'd rather play my provisional despite the fact I'll be playing 4, so as I am a desperate cheat I pretend that I haven't spotted my first ball - CAD AND BOUNDER

I play my provisional but really mess it up and stick it out of bounds - OH DRAT - BUT NEVER MIND

After a bit of hunting I surprisingly find my first ball not where we expected it to be. If I can now play this as the ball in play - and what I have done with my provisional no longer matters - I have a little bit of a cheats charter in this scenario. SHAME ON ME

Yes - perhaps a bit extreme scenario but where I am uncertain on a ruling I try and take it to an extreme of advantage or disdvantage and then see what the rules say.

In this one my cheating head would have given me two goes - one with my provisional and a second (if I messed up the shot with the provisional) with my original - UNLESS playing my provisional from a point beyond my original regardless of circumstances made my provisional the ball in play.

So back to scenario presented - I think it would just be 'tough' and the provisonal ball would immediately become the ball in play as soon as it is struck a second time.

There are a couple of places around my place when this could easily happen and I am sure must happen on a regular basis. Regardless of conclusion reached here -out of interest I will see what the rules-experts at my place say were this to occur.

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Pretty well. You play the one ball as you understand to be according to the Rules. It is up to your opponent to make a claim before you tee off at the next hole if he thinks you were wrong - you don't have to do anything. The claim is then considered by the Committee.

One question, if there is a claim pending and you get to 18 all square, with one or other possibly going to win when the claim is settled, do the players play on for a result? The same question I guess if one player is one up after 18 and the claim could result in an all square situation, should they then carry on in a knockout match and what would happen if they didn't?

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
They should continue until a committee member is available or until a definitive result can be determined (and refer to the committee asap after).

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
There are a couple of places around my place when this could easily happen and I am sure must happen on a regular basis. Regardless of conclusion reached here -out of interest I will see what the rules-experts at my place say were this to occur.

You seem to be missing the No 1 fundamental in golf - "The game relies on the integrity of the individual to show consideration for other players and to abide by the Rules."

It is absolutely pointless to even consider the rules against anything else - you are instantly at a position where, as a simple example, a players ball only moves when someone else sees it move, shots only count when others see them being made and the concept of an actual lost ball is alien...

It would be as foolish of me to suggest that such people and situations don't happen/exist/occur as it is for your suggestion to base rules on the potential behaviour of such players - basically they are not playing golf.