Prov1's Worth the Money

MikeySQ

Medal Winner
Visit site
Im looking at playing a premium ball such as the Prov1 or Penta Tp. Was wondering whether the Prov's are worth the 40 quid price tag and whether i will notice a difference. I do understand the difference in golf balls and all that would it be a wise choice to devote myself to playing them this year?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you've not used one before I'd try to get a couple of lake balls from the pro shop if he has any, or failing that buy a sleeve of 3.
I certainly wouldn't be paying £40 a box for them either. You should be able to get them cheaper than that, £35 tops I'd have thought.

Also worth trying other premium balls if that's the type of ball you'd like to play. Srixons and Bridgestones can be had for under £30 a dozen.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
As above, don't just limit yourself buy a sleeve and try them all (not at the same time :lol: ) I try different balls occasionally and so far have found the srixon to be good although I always tend to drift back to the pro v as I guess the comfort factor is there but there are plenty of good balls out there.

MikeySQ

Medal Winner
Visit site
As above, don't just limit yourself buy a sleeve and try them all (not at the same time :lol: ) I try different balls occasionally and so far have found the srixon to be good although I always tend to drift back to the pro v as I guess the comfort factor is there but there are plenty of good balls out there.

Yeah I think I will probably do that:) Was just wondering if the prov's are so much better than everything else because of how much everyone raves about them:)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
With very few exceptions, all the premium balls will fell the same, spin the same and go the same distance in the hands of an amateur golfer.
Only Elite amateurs and Pros can honestly tell the difference.
Z-Stars and Bridgestones can be had cheaper than a ProV and will do the same job.

MikeySQ

Medal Winner
Visit site
With very few exceptions, all the premium balls will fell the same, spin the same and go the same distance in the hands of an amateur golfer.
Z-Stars and Bridgestones can be had cheaper than a ProV and will do the same job.
Would this be the same for the Penta Tp as I was thinking of trying those out?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

Would this be the same for the Penta Tp as I was thinking of trying those out?

I think so.........

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've just bought Titleists latest ball to try seen as the greens are a bit softer just now, at half the price of a pro v1x I'm sure the performance won't be close but we'll give it a go.

Pro v1x is the best ball I've used but I tend to use a cheaper ball in the winter

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Golfers at any handicap will get better results from a premium ball. I didnt say they will become great golfers, they will get better results for their swing though.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Another law of diminishing returns on ......

But if yo find a bll that suits you, they'll change it for next year!:angry: I used to love the TM Red, then they screwed around with it. Cally Hex Black best this year but yet to try the Chrome.

Still feel Bridgestone/Srixon top levels are best value for me.

bluetoon

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Depends on your handicap i guess

for me i would say.
Other premium balls £30, (Zstar, Penta, 330)

Prov1 @ £40 = No
Prov1 @ £35 = Maybe yes
ProV1 @ £30 = Defo yes

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm going to give the Z-Star a go in a few weeks.

I've been toying with the idea of a premium ball for a while and would opt for the Srixon over the Titleist purely on pice.

Saying that. Will a handicap golfer notice the differnce between the diffeent premium balls, probably not.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think it makes sense to play one type of ball so you take that variable out of the equation, and it is the only piece of equipment you use on every shot so it makes sense to go for quality. Which one of the ones listed above is up to you but as another alternative have a look on Ebay, you can get A, Pearl of mint Grade ProV1s that honestly look and play like new (as long as they're not discoloured or refurbished), it takes the sting out of launching one out of bounds when it only cost you a quid. If you find you like them then when competition time beckons treat yourself to a new box but again on ebay you could pick a dozen up for £30.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I was alternating between a Z-Star and a ProV1x at the weekend and I think I prefered the feel of the Srixon off of the putter. There's not a whole lot of difference between the two on the long game though.

Doesn't surprise me Sb at all. Like I said, will handicap golfers notice the difference?

I wonder which of the premium balls fairs the best as regards to durability? Do some cut up more than others?