Pros and the rules

Ian_George

Visit site
Not always.

Excerpt from R&A Guidance on Running a Competition
Referees

This raises the question of the referee’s ethical position when he sees a player about to break the Rules. The referee is not responsible for a player’s wilful breach of the Rules, but he certainly does have an obligation to advise players about the Rules. It would be contrary to the spirit of fair play if a referee failed to inform a player of his rights and obligations under the Rules and then penalised him for a breach that he could have prevented. The referee who tries to help players to avoid breaches of the Rules cannot be accused of favouring one player against the other, since he would act in the same manner towards any player and is, therefore, performing his duties impartially.

eg: If a player tees his ball ahead of the markers, draw his attention to it before he drives.
I'd categorise that as a 'penalty prevention intervention' that happens in many sports, like players being offside before restart or that would have avoided Cam Smith's penalty at The Fedex St Jude (I think). So a different to the one in question which is a 'what am I allowed to do' one instigated by the player. Your Rugby (possible coaching) one is different again, that I don't think happens in Golf, but has an equivalent in Football - where a player is getting close to being shown a card after being too feisty in tackles.

Last edited: