Prohibiting play from another hole's teebox

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The op dosnt say if it’s for a Q comp or general social golf either so I would say for a comp no they can’t but anything else they can do as they like.
Debating and questioning rules is how they are changed as we all know from last years changes.
All I am saying is it would make sense for a committee to have the option.
At the moment they can’t ,but that could be changed in the future.

Swango1980

Visit site
The op dosnt say if it’s for a Q comp or general social golf either so I would say for a comp no they can’t but anything else they can do as they like.
Debating and questioning rules is how they are changed as we all know from last years changes.
All I am saying is it would make sense for a committee to have the option.
At the moment they can’t ,but that could be changed in the future.
That's fine, but I think you are getting confused between conditions of a specific competition(s) and Local Rules / Rules of Golf, which the OP mentioned.

In a specific competition(s), that are non-qualifying, it can be run as you please. 3 club, mulligan, all bunkers out of play, etc. Of course, these have no relation to Local Rules.

I'm not trying to have a go at your opinion. It seems a fair and logical opinion (i.e. a Committee should be able to set up Local Rules as they see fit to protect their course). However, I'm just trying to point out that there will be things that they can and cannot do. Perhaps they could simply run every competition as a non-qualifier (which they may have no choice at the moment due to current weather) and state that players must not play off the wrong tee box. However, if this happened to be the only condition stopping a competition being a qualifier, then it would not be in the spirit of CONGU.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Actually, I did say in post #13 that the incident that prompted the question happened in a qualifier.
Of course the committee is entitled to make any kind of rules they like for non-qualifiers, but I want to know if they are allowed to impose this local rule in qualifiers.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I can't speak for the R&A,
but the USGA would not refuse affiliation fees
from a club that posted local rules of a nature in conflict with what USGA rules permit.

That would be a position requiring more integrity than what might ever be mustered by the USGA.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
I can't speak for the R&A,
but the USGA would not refuse affiliation fees
from a club that posted local rules of a nature in conflict with what USGA rules permit.

That would be a position requiring more integrity than what might ever be mustered by the USGA.
And your point is... and how does it contribute to this thread?

RulesGuy

Visit site
'The committee is responsible for deciding whether to adopt any local rules and for making sure they are consistent with the principles found in section 8'

8F F1 (principle) 'There are many ways in which a Committee can define abnormal course conditions …. so it is not appropriate or possible to provide a complete list of model local rules that can be used for this purpose'.

In my humble opinion having a local rule that declares a 'teeing area' as GUR for all holes except the one you are playing doesn't appear to be against the letter or spirit of the rules of golf nor the principles in 8. Also 8L – unauthorised local rules do not preclude this type of local rule.

Having said that if they were to ask the powers that be I would hope they'd be given short shrift and told that it is a wholly disproportionate, ill conceived idea that is trying to remedy a non problem. In a field of 100 the tees are played off 1800 times so 3 or 4 more players aren't going to make a scintilla of difference.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Actually, I did say in post #13 that the incident that prompted the question happened in a qualifier.
Of course the committee is entitled to make any kind of rules they like for non-qualifiers, but I want to know if they are allowed to impose this local rule in qualifiers.
Ok but I thought OP meant original post and it dosnt say it there!
That’s the one I quoted.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's either a very tricky enquiry or they are very busy!
Thanks for asking for me - I await the outcome with interest.
I made the enquiry via the standard website link. I don't how busy they are but there is SARS level 3 course going on which will take the senior staff out of action.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I made the enquiry via the standard website link. I don't how busy they are but there is SARS level 3 course going on which will take the senior staff out of action.
I thought the world had moved on from SARS to Coronavirus. Just goes to show how locked in the past golf is.

berniethebolt

Visit site
Local Rules form part of the Rules. Every LR you have is a Rule for that course.

The reference to how the Rules distinguish between the one putting green of the hole you are playing and every other putting green on the course is apt as it shows that the principle of treating one specified but changing part of the course differently from all the other similar parts is already well founded.
We have 'out of bounds' playing one hole (to avoid a short cut on a dogleg) which only applies on that hole

berniethebolt

Visit site
Agreed. I was just pointing out that it was possible to have a local rule that applies to one part of the course only. A course I played at many years ago had a, presumably, local rule 'Drop off tees not in use'. Illegal I suppose.