Pro pre-shot routine

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
On telly you often watch a pro take the club back a foot or more once or twice before he takes his shot. Not a club waggle more of a qtr practice swing.

What is this doing exactly? Is it supposed to help him perfect the take away, impact position or both?

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
On telly you often watch a pro take the club back a foot or more once or twice before he takes his shot. Not a club waggle more of a qtr practice swing.

What is this doing exactly? Is it supposed to help him perfect the take away, impact position or both?

I thought it was a takeaway move? :D

Like when I drive to the Chinese.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Think he is trying to get a swing thought going as in taking it back low and slow, or feeling his shoulders initiate the start of the backswing as opposed to his hands/arms.
I played with a PGA Pro who posts on the Golf Magic site once and he does this on every single shot, including his irons. I asked him why and he told me he had a bad habit of something or another (I can't remember what it was now) and that the move he did helped concentrate his mind and was a trigger to stop him doing it.
A bit like a red dot on your golf glove
;)

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
A bit like a red dot on your golf glove
;)

I'm planning on trying this on the 2nd knuckle of my hands, in the hope of stopping my grip going all strong in the right hand.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah. takaway. I've been doing it a while now.

I used to start my swing with my arms and hands. This just gets me turning my shoulders first.

It's funny, even after months of doing this, I still find my first takeaway on most swings is with my arms\hands.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not the way my pro tells it.

I'd start the takeaway with my arms and hands and then my body.

My pro has got me just taking the club away by turning my body (Shoulders) then my arms and hands come into it. It keeps me much more on-plane.

If I used my arms and hands the club would come back way inside to start with and cause me to come over right over the top.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not the way my pro tells it.

I'd start the takeaway with my arms and hands and then my body.

My pro has got me just taking the club away by turning my body (Shoulders) then my arms and hands come into it. It keeps me much more on-plane.

If I used my arms and hands the club would come back way inside to start with and cause me to come over right over the top.

My pro has a different approach. Start the swing with the arms but he has me swinging a bit more upright, making sure that I dont drag the club away in the inside too much. I do have a tendency to be flat and this is helping.

2 pros, 2 different opinions, nothing new there I suppose. :D

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think it depends on the source of your 'common' fault sometimes.

Different approaches to different problems I suspect.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think it depends on the source of your 'common' fault sometimes.

Different approaches to different problems I suspect.

I think you are right this happens. On this though I think it highlights 2 opposing views/teachings on how the club is moved.

Body propelled or swing of the arm.