preventing over the top swing

power fade

Assistant Pro
Visit site
hi, still struggle at times with an ott move when starting downswing. Tend to try and move left hip first and drop right elbow into right hipbut can forget particularly if i try to leather it. I am enjoying a bit of success atm by raising my left shoulder up as my trigger for downswing - somehow or other when i do this my left hip turns and right elbow goes to hip resulting in a shallower inside path??? Has anyone else heard of this? I fluked this by trying to keep my left shoulder higher than my right at impact as my swing was getting too steep and figured it would be difficult to hit down on ball so much if my left shoulder stayed above or level with my right

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I fluked this by trying to keep my left shoulder higher than my right at impact as my swing was getting too steep and figured it would be difficult to hit down on ball so much if my left shoulder stayed above or level with my right

Sounds about right. If you were getting too steep then potentially you were hanging back with your right shoulder and your left was staying down... or your head was dropping low and left.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you start your downswing with a shoulder turn, you will cut across the ball and slice or pull like crazy. So if you concentrate on keeping your shoulders still as you begin your downswing you will see an improvement.

Of course your shoulders will turn during the downswing but do not make this the initial movement. Get used to reversing the direction of your arms to start the downswing rather than unwinding your shoulders first.

I rarely slice a ball nowadays, my stock bad shot is now a hook.

power fade

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you start your downswing with a shoulder turn, you will cut across the ball and slice or pull like crazy. So if you concentrate on keeping your shoulders still as you begin your downswing you will see an improvement.

Of course your shoulders will turn during the downswing but do not make this the initial movement. Get used to reversing the direction of your arms to start the downswing rather than unwinding your shoulders first.

I rarely slice a ball nowadays, my stock bad shot is now a hook.

i meant raising my left shoulder, rather than turning it. Anyway, tried if for a bit and nearly broke my wrist as my 8 iron as i scudded the matt on the range.

My 'new' thing is think about hitting the ball from the inside and not to have any magic moves, but to rely on my own co-ordination to do this. It worked pretty well today and with the help of 'bobs headcover drill' i think i can groove the right path without any of the daft stuff. I think we can underestimate our ability to just hit the ball the way you want without thinking of 101 things all the time

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Learning to transition your weight into the left side (bump the hip) is the correct way of swinging from the inside - in MY opinion. It creates a plane shift onto a lower (more inside) plane... and from there it's a case of turning your right shoulder down to the ball (so you don't get stuck/trapped or whatever you want to call it).

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Here you go.. it's a bit of an 'old school video'.....this guy shows a kind of inept swing on the left then brings a golfer onto the right (it looks like Faldo's swing to me - see what I mean about old school?) and then goes on to correct his own inept swing. This shows how to get the club to the inside path... it's kind of the same for irons but with less tilt away from the target... it's all about shifting into the left side which drops the clubshaft to a lower (inside) plane.

At impact the hands being in front of the clubhead takes some loft off the club :( boo!... but the clubface being slightly open puts it back on again...:D yay! but then the ball starts slightly to the right...:angry: boo! but the path being from the inside makes the ball draw back again :D yay!

....so it's a nice push-draw with uber carry. Perfik!

Hope that helps.

[video=youtube;H0HGoM6wGEQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0HGoM6wGEQ[/video]