Downswing question?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
The pro also does everything by eye so he doesn’t use any equipment to track my shots, so I’m wondering just how good you can be just with the eye a?

Assuming you are having lessons in the open air and not indoors.

The pro can see the initial direction of the ball, he can see the shot shape through the air, he can see the height of launch and can see where it lands. This visual information tells him everything he needs to know about how you deliver the club to the ball relative to the target and the face angle relative to the club path. You dont need "equipment" to do that.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Assuming you are having lessons in the open air and not indoors.

The pro can see the initial direction of the ball, he can see the shot shape through the air, he can see the height of launch and can see where it lands. This visual information tells him everything he needs to know about how you deliver the club to the ball relative to the target and the face angle relative to the club path. You dont need "equipment" to do that.

Totally agree and my pro has built his reputation to a large degree by teaching by eye. He will use a lunch monitor if he wants to emphasise stuff like strike on the face ,path, launch angle or dynamic loft but it is a rare thing for him to do. I think in the four-five years we've used it once, maybe twice when I was struggling with a change and was sure I was several degrees out to in and sure enough I was in to out as he wanted. A good pro using his eye is every bit as good as one that insists on monitors

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I don’t want to say I’ve fixed the driver but I was hitting it so much better today all nice high ball flights but did have the odd slice but way better that they low bobble ones. I took @bobmac advice and used a higher tee the orange ones and moved the ball more forward in my stance so basically the opposite of what my pro has told me. So thanks @bobmac for the tips

Very worryingly ?

Barking_Mad

Visit site
No but I feel as if that’s just what I hit I’m not trying to hit a fade and when I took up golf my natural shot was a draw but another pro somehow changed it to a fade/slice. When I stand upto the ball I visualise a draw every time I just don’t hit one now lol but it’s the shot I always see. So I’m thinking I need to get back to a draw but to be honest I want to get to a level I can pick any shot shape and do it comfortably, might never happen but that’s what I’m aiming for.

Most PGA Tour players can't consistently hit both shots. You're probably better focusing on something else.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Most PGA Tour players can't consistently hit both shots. You're probably better focusing on something else.
I suspect it rather depends on how you define consistently. I bet virtually every PGA tour pro can hit a fade or draw pretty much at will on the practice ground but many will stick to one shot shape onthe course in case they get the occasional double cross.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I would give my left (organ to be negotiated) for a baby fade. Nicest shot in golf.

The draw is an evil succubus that will tempt you in but then drag you down to a hell of snap hooks and wild uncontrollable slingers.
Add shanks into the list of drawers hell - well it’s on my list. I am trying to fade every single shot with anything from 6i or longer. Once I can fade consistently I will try to gentle fade it. For me a draw is a portent to shanking. I must not draw the ball ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Hitting fades and draws at will, at least with any measure of control, is beyond the skill of most golfers, including many very good golfers who rely on one stock reliable shape, often a fade. As Bob said, Jack Nicklaus did rather well with a fade, as did Ben Hogan, and it is the preferred shape for that guy with the busted leg who turned up at The Masters.
Except Hogan battled the hook for years and worked endlessly to get a fade…

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
You have to lower your expectation. You are trying to master game that can't be mastered.
Take your sim and his numbers with pinch of salt its not a trackman or gcquad so numbers are not that accurate.
If you been playing for 18 months you will have more crap rounds than good ones and plenty of lightbulb moments.
Decide on one pro and stick with him.
How much you practice stuff he tells you after the lesson ?
Absolutely. If I have a bad round and tell my pro what I was doing he knows me well enough now to know what I have been doing and without a lesson can tell me what to do to fix it. And off I go to the range with his instructions.

AAC

Visit site
Totally agree and my pro has built his reputation to a large degree by teaching by eye. He will use a lunch monitor if he wants to emphasise stuff like strike on the face ,path, launch angle or dynamic loft but it is a rare thing for him to do. I think in the four-five years we've used it once, maybe twice when I was struggling with a change and was sure I was several degrees out to in and sure enough I was in to out as he wanted. A good pro using his eye is every bit as good as one that insists on monitors

I was a lunch monitor at school, I didn't know a thing about dynamic loft & the like, I must have been a terrible lunch monitor, a good thing the cook could do it all by eye ;)