Pressure Washer for Patio

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
It's hateful isn't it? I tried one of the patio cleaner attachments once, the disk with the spinner nozzles inside. Good for stopping back spray but useless for actually cleaning the surface. Back to the small nozzle, getting filthy, aching back :cry:

My otherwise perfect wife said to me a couple of years ago that she was concerned that me pressure washing the patio would blast out all the pointing, and suggested that my best option would be to get down on hands and knees with a bucket of water and a scrubbing brush.

I won’t tell you my response, as to do so would result in a lengthy break from the forum.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
My otherwise perfect wife said to me a couple of years ago that she was concerned that me pressure washing the patio would blast out all the pointing, and suggested that my best option would be to get down on hands and knees with a bucket of water and a scrubbing brush.

I won’t tell you my response, as to do so would result in a lengthy break from the forum.
She’s not far off. I did our driveway a few weeks ago. Sprayed on a cleaner solution and gave it a scrub with a stiff bristled brush and then power washed the solution and the dirt away.

Worked well. Then sanded and sealed.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do people find sealing makes a difference? When I have pressure washed before we don't do anything to the surface afterwards. Does it protect the bricks, help them stay clean for longer?

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Do people find sealing makes a difference? When I have pressure washed before we don't do anything to the surface afterwards. Does it protect the bricks, help them stay clean for longer?

I’ve often wondered the same. Never sealed ours.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We were told by the bloke who did ours that it would last about 3 years and make it easier to clean in the future and also make it harder for weeds to grow in the cracks. We also used a synthetic type sand (Dansand) to keep weeds down. Only been a week or so, so hard to tell if it made a difference

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our patio at the back is a nasty peach colour that darkens over time.
The driveway at the front is a less obnoxious reddy pink that also darkens over time.
Roughly every 5 years, MrsA and I have the same conversation...

The patio and drive look disgusting.
I prefer them when they're darker.
Maybe you should replace them.
Have you any idea how much backbreaking work that would involve?
Maybe we should pay someone to do it.

At this point I usually get the Kaercher K3 out of the garage and spend a miserable day pushing it around, effectively resetting the 5-year timer on the conversation.
It does the job ok.
Shes clever is your wife! 😜👍

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ours is sealed and my mates isn’t. Both buff coloured blocks and both with two cars sitting on them.

His is constantly looking worse than ours. Much grubbier and takes him more effort to clean as a result.

Still refuses to seal it though.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’ve often wondered the same. Never sealed ours.
At the bottom of our road - corner plot - the guy that lived there was meticulous about his driveway, grass and car. Was always out there cleaning, cutting doing something.
He always had his drive sealed, not sure how often, but it always looked as if it was laid last week.
He moved out about two years ago. The drive now has weeds, oil stains from cars and the grass is full of weeds, although the new owner did cut it last week.
Sounds like I'm a nosey neighbour, I'm not, but as soon as you turn into the road it's there in full view.
In other words if I had a block drive I would certainly have it sealed every year. 👍

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
In other words if I had a block drive I would certainly have it sealed every year. 👍
In any words - don't get a block drive. Stone paving is easier to clean, fewer joints, no spaces if properly mortared. If repointing does become necessary, easily done.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
She’s not far off. I did our driveway a few weeks ago. Sprayed on a cleaner solution and gave it a scrub with a stiff bristled brush and then power washed the solution and the dirt away.

Worked well. Then sanded and sealed.
A few years ago I applied a sealer to a small 3x2 corner area of my mono block to see what difference it would make.
The following year it looked exactly the same as the unsealed area, so I didn't seal the rest .
I'm pressure washing this weekend, I hate it, especially the mess.

Last edited:

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
As it happens I bought a Karcher K5 on Wednesday after my ancient one died & no spare parts were available. I borrowed a K5 from a friend & was so impressed with it I bought the same model. Took me around 9 hours to clean my heavily soiled block paving a block at a time but it did a brilliant job. Got an excellent price & next day collection from Screwfix.

FELL75

Visit site
As it happens I bought a Karcher K5 on Wednesday after my ancient one died & no spare parts were available. I borrowed a K5 from a friend & was so impressed with it I bought the same model. Took me around 9 hours to clean my heavily soiled block paving a block at a time but it did a brilliant job. Got an excellent price & next day collection from Screwfix.
9 hours! I admire your determination.. I'm going for a lie down just thinking about it 🤪