Advice re clubs for an improving player

BobbyP

Visit site
First of all, newbie here - hello!

Bit of background - I've just got back into the game after about 20 years. I'd long since gotten rid of my old set of clubs but I managed to pick up a set on ebay for £50 so I could at least get back on the course and see how I'm feeling after a long break. So far, so good. Based on recent rounds I'm playing off around 26/27 which is better than I was expecting after so long out.

My question is, could it be holding back my game by persevering with a pretty average second hand set? If I decide to upgrade, any recommendations as to whether I should splurge on a completely new full set (and what sort of budget gets me a decent set for my standard of play)? Or perhaps, say, invest in a good putter first, given it's the most used club in the bag? I've already bought a hybrid as my ebay set just came with 3-SW plus woods/putter.

I guess in part it comes down to how much I'm willing to invest, but I suppose I'm trying to understand if I do buy a new set, will I think it's worth the money? Or is the difference fairly negligible for a mid-20s handicapper?

Cheers!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Depends what they are? If the irons are only 10-12 years old then a new set probably wouldn't make that much difference. 30 years though is a bit different. Similar with drivers, anything that came out in the last 8 or 9 years is gonna be decent enough.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Depends what they are? If the irons are only 10-12 years old then a new set probably wouldn't make that much difference. 30 years though is a bit different. Similar with drivers, anything that came out in the last 8 or 9 years is gonna be decent enough.

I agree with this - in terms of your scoring, the clubs aren't likely to make a huge difference unless they're very old. So depending on what you're already using, it might be unlikely to deliver significant improvement.

However, if you just want a new set because you're enjoying your golf and want to treat yourself, then go for it and we'll all happily help you choose something suitably shiney!

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
A lot to unpack there.

Clubs will not be a silver bullet to score better, unless you are using junior clubs or something so wrong for you, but that is unlikely.

If you have a limited budget I would invest in lessons, find a pro you like and book in say 8 sessions and explain what you want to do and where you want to get to.

If you want to play more golf and feel you would enjoy it more with shiny new sticks then definitely go ahead and do it. In terms of budget I think you could get something decent in terms of irons for £400. If you are not so bothered about re-sale value and you will stick with them for a while I would suggest going to a club builder who may have lesser known brands like Wishon or Orka (which a few on here use) you will get a very good standard of iron for less money than your Taylormades etc

As for putter, if you are very unhappy with what you got then look for a new one, again your putting stroke will be a much bigger influence than the putter itself.

You will probably get more enjoyment with a new set of irons in your bag than a putter

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
Great to see you on the forum, it's a friendly bunch, mainly, unless you ask about stack and tilt ☺☺☺

Regarding clubs i was similar ish to you ish, played on and off for many years but mainly not and am now fully into it, joined a club again and found that I got so much more enjoyment out of the game with;

2nd Hand Game improvement Irons, TM Burners 09 (eBay) that I've just upgraded to M6 (Golf Bidder)

Hybrids - Taylormade Rescue Mid (eBay) originally, now M6 19 / 22 (Clubhouse Golf / eBay)

' Forgiving ' alignment putter - 2 Ball now TM Spider, both from 2nd hand sellers on eBay, Clubs 4 Cash i think

All of which is great but the one thing I came to late was getting back into having regular lessons otherwise, for me anyway, I'd still just be going from one YouTube tip to another and not really improving.

One day I'll get fitted / buy new irons etc.. But for now have lots of other expenses in my life and the bag I've put together more than suits my game and any failing is definitely the fault of the user !!!

GBC

BobbyP

Visit site
Thanks for the replies - some good advice in there! I think on reflection I may stick with what I have for the next year or so and see how much I can improve before I shell out for some new ones. Could be a good incentive to reward myself once I've got my HC down to sub-20! The clubs I have are about 10 years old I think - my mate has a much older set and I can certainly feel the difference from that.

I've already had one lesson, but plan to have a few more - just want some time in between to practice what I've learnt. Besides, there isn't too much "broken" with my game, it's mostly just consistency and confidence that comes with playing more!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Thanks for the replies - some good advice in there! I think on reflection I may stick with what I have for the next year or so and see how much I can improve before I shell out for some new ones. Could be a good incentive to reward myself once I've got my HC down to sub-20! The clubs I have are about 10 years old I think - my mate has a much older set and I can certainly feel the difference from that.

I've already had one lesson, but plan to have a few more - just want some time in between to practice what I've learnt. Besides, there isn't too much "broken" with my game, it's mostly just consistency and confidence that comes with playing more!
Great to see such an improvement already! Hope it continues.
Seems to me that your approach above is a pretty good one, though lack of continued improvement is rarely down to 'the clubs'.
Two comments I would make though:
1. While you've probably made significant improvement wrt duffs, foolish thoughts, compounding mistakes and the like, the main way you will improve in the future will be by improving your short game. This will not only give you more opportunity to 'gain' strokes, but will also allow you to save your score on the occasions where an errant stroke has put you into trouble. The phrase 'Short Game; short game; short game' is very important!
2. I'd disagree with your idea that the Putter (non) selection is unimportant. While it's quite possible that the putter you've bveen using IS the right one for you (having 'got used to it' after using it for so long), it's important to actually find the right style for you and your technique. I used to take every opportunity to try out different styles wherever I could and eventually found 'my' style. There are also 'fitting' services that can be purchased that do that job. As the Putter is the club you will use most in any round, it's very important to get one that works for you. It's arguably THE most important club in your bag!

Last edited:

BobbyP

Visit site
Great to see such an improvement already! Hope it continues.
Seems to me that your approach above is a pretty good one, though lack of continued improvement is rarely down to 'the clubs'.
Two comments I would make though:
1. While you've probably made significant improvement wrt duffs, foolish thoughts, compounding mistakes and the like, the main way you will improve in the future will be by improving your short game. This will not only give you more opportunity to 'gain' strokes, but will also allow you to save your score on the occasions where an errant stroke has put you into trouble. The phrase 'Short Game; short game; short game' is very important!
2. I'd disagree with your idea that the Putter (non) selection is unimportant. While it's quite possible that the putter you've bveen using IS the right one for you (having 'got used to it' after using it for so long), it's important to actually find the right style for you and your technique. I used to take every opportunity to try out different styles wherever I could and eventually found 'my' style. There are also 'fitting' services that can be purchased that do that job. As the Putter is the club you will use most in any round, it's very important to get one that works for you. It's arguably THE most important club in your bag!

I think it was someone else that suggested the putter was perhaps not that important. Tbh, it's probably the first club I will upgrade. That being said, my putting relative to my level is probably the strongest aspect of my game. Possibly years as a kid playing on putting courses on holiday has helped!

My 2 biggest issues are hitting long and straight from the tee and getting on the green from 50-150 yards.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think it was someone else that suggested the putter was perhaps not that important. Tbh, it's probably the first club I will upgrade. That being said, my putting relative to my level is probably the strongest aspect of my game. Possibly years as a kid playing on putting courses on holiday has helped!

My 2 biggest issues are hitting long and straight from the tee and getting on the green from 50-150 yards.

Probably the same as 90% of this forum!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site

If you can do those two things you will be a low single figure, so don't beat yourself up

I think it was Arnold Palmer who said if he were to do it again he would practice driving and everything within100 yards

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just to offer an alternative view. I suggest you go to a PXG demo day and tell the pro to fit you into the real high end stuff, not the new cheaper rubbish, and don't spare the custom upgrades. OK, just kidding. Good advice above. Work on your game and when it settles into something semi-consistent, consider an upgrade then.