Preparing for new course

Fabia999

Visit site
Hi All,

I am playing a course I've never played before. Not in my area so I couldn't even guess at what it like.

How do you prepare for playing a new course? Do you look up the hole layout or do you just go on the day and get the feel for it while you're playing?

Thanks

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I prefer new courses. As I’m not a member anywhere I can do it when the opportunity arises.

I used to get excited and look at some of the hole layouts before hand to get a feel for it. But then I’d play crap and get disappointed.

Now I might have a quick look but generally just wait until I go. Find I play better that way!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I tend to look at the website especially if it gives hole by hole guides and try and get a plan in my head. On the day I'll by a course planner if they sell them. I tend to play ok away from my own club as sometimes not knowing too much about where danger is can be a liberating thing

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi All,

I am playing a course I've never played before. Not in my area so I couldn't even guess at what it like.

How do you prepare for playing a new course? Do you look up the hole layout or do you just go on the day and get the feel for it while you're playing?

Thanks
I turn up and walk to the first tee. I think you need to chill out mate.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Is this for a competition or social golf? If it's for a social game just turn up and enjoy it.

D

Deleted member 25172

I look it up as best as I can, but having said that - that's only out of curiosity cause it's so much fun playing new courses, not to start some sort of master plan on how to play it the best way possible.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I usually load it up on one of my GPS apps so I can look at an overview of each hole, how long they are, what kind of hazards are around, and maybe think about what club I'll be taking on some of them. I would look at the scorecard too. There's not really much else you can do though. And even that is only a brief look to get an idea of what type of course it is, i.e. long, or short and tight etc. As Lilyhawk says it's certainly not to plan my round in minute detail, holes always look different when you're standing there on the tee anyway.

Generally I enjoy playing on courses I don't know, because I think more about how to play each hole when I get there, and less about my own golf game. (y)

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If its social turn up and enjoy it. I do scout about the website if it's a comp/club match I'm playing but it's very hard to get a sense of a place until you play it. Some websites have a hole-by-hole gallery with tips from the pro, I find that useful, if the pro says "don't go right" I'll make a note of it and by the time I get to that hole blast a beautiful high slice into the cabbage. I should have mentioned that I'm an idiot. If the club has a Strokesaver that's about the best option (not all do though). Alternatively you could ask here - surely someone has played it and can give you advice on what to look out for.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I usually look it up beforehand on their website. Most courses do have some kind of birdie book, course planner or fly-overs on their website nowadays. Then I make a strategic plan how to play every single hole and take notes about it. Then I forget said notes at home and smash driver into the water hazard off the first tee ...:rolleyes:

D

Deleted Member 1156

I send my Caddy, Strategist and Mind Coach to spend the week before to do an analysis of all of it. I ensure the locker room humidity is between 73 and 70%.....

...mind you, if it is for a Competition I take it more seriously!
Don't you work on the specific shape of shot required for the majority of tee shots????? :eek:

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I send my Caddy, Strategist and Mind Coach to spend the week before to do an analysis of all of it. I ensure the locker room humidity is between 73 and 70%.....

...mind you, if it is for a Competition I take it more seriously!

Do you work out where to stand on each tee whilst your playing partner plays? ;-)

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I have a chap who does all that for me!

Actually, it's always good for a snoop at the website out of curiosity... but it is of limited value...

Eg Playing Perrenporth in their Pairs Open in August, my playing partner hasn't been before, looked at the card, saw lots of short part 4s and says "looks easy!"

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I do look at fly overs on some club websites but it does detract from the sense of adventure of visiting a new course. I try not to watch them all and save some surprises.

User20204

Visit site
Oh my this is my bag, I scan Google earth, watch every hole flyover on yt, check out every picture I can find, then I get to the course and realise it is totally different to what I thought.

I don't do any of the above any more, total waste of time.

AntShadow

Visit site
I always take a look at the website and see if they have a course planner or a flyover with descriptions of the holes, yardages and scorecard just to get a flavour of the type of course it is. Google Maps view can give a bit of an insight too.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I just use my GPS unit, hope that I am playing with a member and ask them questions.

I tried looking on Google earth once but my memory is not that good.