Premium vs Mid-Range balls

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Played in today's monthly Stableford at my gaff. Shot 35 points in really tricky conditions. Fairways were very fast and the greens were bone hard making scoring a little tricky.

Anywho.

I played my usual ball, a Titleist Pro V1, for the first 12 holes before I lost it. I'd forgot to put a sleeve in the bag this morning, so that was my last one. Reached into my bag to try and find a half decent ball to play with, but the only one I could find was a Titleist NXT Tour.

Played out the 12th. Walked off with bogey. The ball felt good so decided to keep it in play. Finished my round:

Bogey
Par
Par
Bogey
Par
Par

Playing the NXT I dropped 2 shots in the final 6 holes.

This got me thinking about a few things:

Firstly. I played 6 holes with the NXT and 12 holes with the Titleist. The NXT was consistently longer off the tee than the Pro V1 and had a much more stable flight with much, much less shape than I've had of late. Our 13th hole plays 343 yards from the whites and after my tee shot I was left hitting my 58° wedge, where I'm normally hitting a GW/PW or short iron. Even going down the 18th, which is a par 5, I was well past where I usually am (Played Thursday) leaving a shorter club to the green.

Secondly, I had no issue holding greens. Our 14th is a 108 yard par 3. Hit GW to about 25 ft. One bounce at the front of the green and finished, as I say, 25 or so feet from the pin (which was half way on). I also hit a 9 iron into the 17th green (par 4) which stopped quickly enough at the front edge of the green.

Felt good off the putter. Chipped it well and one a bone hard course I thought it really excelled.

Coincidently, I'm down to my last 2 sleeves of ProV1's, but I'm wondering if my game, and swing are more suited to the NXT or a mid range ball as opposed to a premium ball?

I don't have a fast swing speed, so I'm not sure I get the best out of the Pro V1 compression wise and, based on today, I'm sure the V1 curves more through the air than the NXT.

I've been looking around at various ball deals and get get Nike 20XI and Bridgestone for B330RXS for a shade over £20/dozen, but I'm just wondering if it's worth giving a mid range ball a run for a time?

What are your views when it comes to premium vs mid range balls?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Use the ball that works best for you. Personally prefer to use a premium ball but one of the lower spin versions ie (srixon XV, pro v1X, TM TP X etc), thats what Im used to and seems to work best for me. sounds like the NXT does the job better for you so if I was you I would stick to it!

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
I did a comparison when playing a practice round between a premium, a mid, and a budget ball, and found nothing (apart from green side control, and the sound) that could make them different. The distances were very similar (and even Titleist say that all there balls go the same distance within a few yards).

Deano23

Club Champion
Visit site
You really need to be hitting a ProV1 very hard to get the best out of it. With an average swing speed they don't even really wake up.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I don't really think it makes a huge difference which ball you play with. The important thing is to use the same ball all the time and you can adjust how you play your shots accordingly. Handicap golfers aren't consistent enough anyway to claim ball x is longer than ball y. We all know that we can hit one drive 250 yards then on the next hole only 230 because we don't have consistent swings.

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't really think it makes a huge difference which ball you play with. The important thing is to use the same ball all the time and you can adjust how you play your shots accordingly. Handicap golfers aren't consistent enough anyway to claim ball x is longer than ball y. We all know that we can hit one drive 250 yards then on the next hole only 230 because we don't have consistent swings.

This. Pick a ball, play with it. Is the NXT classed as mid range? For me, that's a premium ball.

G

guest100718

You really need to be hitting a ProV1 very hard to get the best out of it. With an average swing speed they don't even really wake up.

thats just totally untrue. Most shots are hit at fairly low swing speed. Chips, pitches, short irons etc.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's in the head. Many people want to play pro v because the pros do but you'll do just as well with most other balls at half the price. Personally I like the srixons, soft feel or ad333

Deano23

Club Champion
Visit site
thats just totally untrue. Most shots are hit at fairly low swing speed. Chips, pitches, short irons etc.

It is not untrue at all. ProV1's are designed to be hit hard and true. They are a high compression high spinning ball for skilled players. We're not talking about short game here and even if we were skilled players still hit those shots hard most of the time.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It is not untrue at all. ProV1's are designed to be hit hard and true. They are a high compression high spinning ball for skilled players. We're not talking about short game here and even if we were skilled players still hit those shots hard most of the time.

It's actually very untrue. Do you think the pros hit every shot with the same swing speed? Getting the best out of a ball is more to do with quality of strike than speed of swing.

sandmagnet

Head Pro
Visit site
I have been searching for a ball to use this year myself Gareth, tried 5 piece,3 piece and 2 piece in all driffrent makes,I would put myself anywhere from 14/20 handicap bracket and found that for the way I hit the ball the best ball I liked was the sirixon z star . But I can't afford them all the time, so found that the nearest balls I liked playing was the ad333 or the dt solo which don't grip as much but feel just as good off the putter and shot my best score of the year of 85 with the dt solo. I think which may be being silly that their ain't much difference for my standard between a top end ball and a cheap ball.

G

guest100718

So even though on titleist.com it says that this is a myth its still true?

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Surely the swing speed from driver and high spin stats from wedges are comparing apples and oranges. The driver strike and wedge/iron strike are very different beasts and there is no reason why a ball can't be optimised to perform well for both. The core(s) working for the lower spin/higher swing speed driver strike, and the various covers working best for the high spinning, high launching (but slower swing speed) wedge shot.

G

guest100718

That just depends if you decide to obey the gospel of Titleist rather some of the other ball manufacturers.

Or the bandwagon of bridgestone

I have carried out my own test out on the course and I have seen nothing to suggest they are not correct.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Surely it has more to do with the quality of play. If you're swinging well and striking nicely and the short game is on, then a premium or mid range will probably play equally as well for the majority of handicap golfers. I prefer a premium ball solely for the feel and control of the putter and chipping. I wonder if I could do with a mid range ball in terms of getting a few more yards off the tee so there may have to be a trade off at some point