Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
VAR needs to be given a fair go by fans, media and officials alike but MUST NOT be used as a get out clause by the referee and used too much early on. It will find a balance. As for handball, if this silhouette rule is coming in then defenders will no longer lunge to block in case their arms move out in the process. I can see a lot of penalties being awarded early on, but again I think players will adapt and officials will apply some modicum of common sense

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Couple of big things for next season

VAR - is it going to ruin the sport

And the new handball rules - are we going to see more and more penalties next season and is it a good rule change
No, as long as the officials don't take an age looking from 15 different angles. If it is not obvious then let it ride. Keep it snappy and it will improve the game. In addition, there was a game at the end of the season in England, can't remember what it is was, where the ref handled it brilliantly. He spoke to the players, joked with them, told them to stop shouting at him over decisions and let the VAR people do their job. By the end the players were calmer, decisions were made correctly, the game moved on. The announcing of VAR decisions on screens at the game will also help. They need to keep fans informed and the previous quiet was a problem.

Handball, I think it is an improvement over the current ruling. I don't envisage more penalties, just more clarity about the decisions.

D

Deleted member 1740

Yeah, I find it ironic that all the talk of unnatural positions will lead to defenders pinning their arms behind their back - as unnatural as it gets.

Even more ironic that these players “who have played the game” are being lauded by some of the media to be fast tracked into refereeing.

D

Deleted member 1740

VAR needs to be given a fair go by fans, media and officials alike but MUST NOT be used as a get out clause by the referee and used too much early on. It will find a balance. As for handball, if this silhouette rule is coming in then defenders will no longer lunge to block in case their arms move out in the process. I can see a lot of penalties being awarded early on, but again I think players will adapt and officials will apply some modicum of common sense

VAR in theory,clear and obvious decisions, should work but it’s too complicated from the outset. Take Lingards goal the other night, he’s offside by a couple of mm’s and look how long it took. Is this really what VAR should be used for? Is that really enough to gain an advantage?

D

Deleted member 1740

No, as long as the officials don't take an age looking from 15 different angles. If it is not obvious then let it ride. Keep it snappy and it will improve the game. In addition, there was a game at the end of the season in England, can't remember what it is was, where the ref handled it brilliantly. He spoke to the players, joked with them, told them to stop shouting at him over decisions and let the VAR people do their job. By the end the players were calmer, decisions were made correctly, the game moved on. The announcing of VAR decisions on screens at the game will also help. They need to keep fans informed and the previous quiet was a problem.

Handball, I think it is an improvement over the current ruling. I don't envisage more penalties, just more clarity about the decisions.

Some instances are so tight you can’t make the correct decision in 10 seconds. I’m certain there’ll be a lot more pens given this season.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
One thing VAR needs to do is make it obvious to the viewer what's going on. It's one thing they do great in Cricket. You hear the 3rd Umpire talking over the footage, you see what they're looking at and so even though the game itself has stopped it doesn't feel like it because you're involved in the process. So far from what I've seen from VAR we either don't have a clue what's going on, or we see 1 rubbish replay, or we watch a referee stood in front of a screen, it's awful. Needs to be presented better to those in the stadium and on TV.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
VAR in theory,clear and obvious decisions, should work but it’s too complicated from the outset. Take Lingards goal the other night, he’s offside by a couple of mm’s and look how long it took. Is this really what VAR should be used for? Is that really enough to gain an advantage?
This is exactly what I mean about it being over-used. They have so far forgotten the 'clear and obvious error' part of their own definition on when it's used. If someone's a clear foot offside and it's been missed, then it should be overruled, if there's a centremetre in it then that's level in my book. If the naked eye would call it level then it should be left alone.

In conjunction with the ridiculous handball laws though it will be painful. The problem is handballs always look far worse in slow motion because it makes it look like they had to time to get out of the way when they didn't in real time.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Some instances are so tight you can’t make the correct decision in 10 seconds. I’m certain there’ll be a lot more pens given this season.
10 secs is too short a time but I would say that if you can't figure it out after 45 secs max, that figure could be shortened further, then the original decision stands.

D

Deleted member 15344

The times I have seen VAR used in the UK it’s been horrific , takes far too long and it’s just hasn’t worked

Seen it used outside the UK and most times it’s done quickly - the CL final for the penalty seem to do finished in well under a minute

It for me only should be used for goals scored , penalty shouts and red cards and needs to be clear and obvious

If they are taking 4 mins and need to zoom in 400% then thats not clear and obvious

But i can see it being a nightmare for fans especially in the ground

D

Deleted member 1740

10 secs is too short a time but I would say that if you can't figure it out after 45 secs max, that figure could be shortened further, then the original decision stands.

45secs is way too long, that'll kill the fluidity of football.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
But with the niggly fouls and the time taken for free kicks corners and throw ins these days is there really a flow to the game anyway.

I do like the idea of the referee/4th official being able to give the crowd and TV audience some idea of what is going on but can't see it ever happening. It happens in rugby union as well but I think football seems overly precious about their officials ever talking about or showing how they came to a decision

D

Deleted member 1740

But with the niggly fouls and the time taken for free kicks corners and throw ins these days is there really a flow to the game anyway.

I do like the idea of the referee/4th official being able to give the crowd and TV audience some idea of what is going on but can't see it ever happening. It happens in rugby union as well but I think football seems overly precious about their officials ever talking about or showing how they came to a decision

Disagree Homer. Even with the stoppages, there’s still end to end football.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
That is why I said it could be shortened further. Don't forget the start of the process is happening in a building miles from the ground. Whilst the players are surrounding the ref, player getting treatment etc the VAR people are already looking at the incident. Equally, the incident may be being looked at whilst the game is going on. It is a work in progress but it can get better.

I heard a bloke from RL talking and he said the key was to give tight terms of reference for what could go to VAR and then how they operated. Keep it narrow and it will be slicker.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
City at home first game of the season! Best time to play them, they might not be on top form but if they are then its not to damaging to get pumped on the opening day. ;)

Re VAR, i've always said it will suck the joy out of watching it live and i stick by that, but what they should do is only watch replays in real time, whenever anything is slowed down it always looks much worse than it really was. Handball and fouls always look worse in slow-mo.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Cant wait for the absolute fume when Unbearables FC top the PL and have an extra 2 days rest before the Super Cup with Chelsea 😁

Already I'm seeing posts elsewhere about Liverpool playing Friday and Chelsea Sunday, prior to the Super Cup.
For crying out loud. Who cares?

Its a glorified friendly.
If we weren't in it, Chelsea would probably line up another friendly to make some £££.

And at the end of the day, one game will have been played, it’s not as if they've played 20 games before it.

They're athletes, prime physical condition springs to mind and on over £100k a week, ffs 😡

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Already I'm seeing posts elsewhere about Liverpool playing Friday and Chelsea Sunday, prior to the Super Cup.

If we weren't in it, Chelsea would probably line up another friendly to make some £££.

And at the end of the day, one game will have been played, it’s not as if they've played 20 games before it.

They're athletes, prime physical condition springs to mind and on over £100k a week, ffs 😡

No doubt they already have a date for the parade. Hopefully the bus will be taxed this time 😁

D

Deleted member 1740

Put yer rod away, no Chelsea v Liverpool game is a friendly.

I doubt they would have friendlies after the season had started.