Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18121

I've never quite understood the fuss around the fixture order.... You play everyone twice, home and away. It never changes.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've never quite understood the fuss around the fixture order.... You play everyone twice, home and away. It never changes.
It can have a massive impact if a team is front loaded with tough matches. Let's say Brighton play City, Liverpool Chelsea, Spurs, Utd first 5 games. They lose all 5, get thumped in a couple. They then play Villa, Norwich, Southampton next but confidence is so shot that they don't get points there either. The manager gets the sack, season is written off after only a quarter of the games.

Equally if a team has a soft start, the strikers score goals, defenders get comfortable, then by the time they face the big boys they are full of confidence and more likely to take points off them.

I suppose I am saying it matters more for teams in the area of 7th and below.

I know I've painted an extreme scenario but it happened negatively for Koeman at Everton and also West Ham a season or two ago.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I had a quick look at City's fixtures when they first came out. I think over Nov and Dec, in five games, four are against Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal. It is what it is. I was reading something on Manchester evening news re the fixtures and Champs league games and how Liverpool have an advantage over City. In a sense that they have more home fixtures after or before the group games. It's all hypothetical. Liverpool could be at home on Saturday but be at Ukraine four days earlier. Trouble is its a quiet part of the season and people are looking for non stories.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I had a quick look at City's fixtures when they first came out. I think over Nov and Dec, in five games, four are against Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal. It is what it is. I was reading something on Manchester evening news re the fixtures and Champs league games and how Liverpool have an advantage over City. In a sense that they have more home fixtures after or before the group games. It's all hypothetical. Liverpool could be at home on Saturday but be at Ukraine four days earlier. Trouble is its a quiet part of the season and people are looking for non stories.
Seemed like City we’re playing games after liverpool had played at the end of last season
Which put more pressure on City imo.

D

Deleted member 1740

Boooooooooo......You've obviously not gone through each game and awarded points for WLD have yer😉

I've got The European Cup winning Unbearables FC winning the league, going unbeaten with 108pts GD +79 by 14 pts 😁😁

Tashyboy

Visit site
Boooooooooo......You've obviously not gone through each game and awarded points for WLD have yer😉

I've got The European Cup winning Unbearables FC winning the league, going unbeaten with 108pts GD +79 by 14 pts in front of Utd 😁😁
Sorted Stu 😁👍

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
am i the only person who hasnt bothered looking at the fixtures? dont get the point lol, we play everyone twice at some point (obviously different if youre planning away days :) )

D

Deleted member 1740

City have a massive advantage over the rest of the league by ignoring FFP.

Playing at home after CL games is a bonus, but its down to luck of the draw. I know Jose was moaning last season about the same thing. We've been on the opposite end of that under Rafa when we played away in moscow iirc on the wednesday, not returned back til 6 am thursday morning then played Portsmouth away saturday 12 oclock kick off.

We were told to shut up and stop whinging

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 1740

am i the only person who hasnt bothered looking at the fixtures? dont get the point lol, we play everyone twice at some point (obviously different if youre planning away days :) )

This is what happens when your club goes through that barren spell and become also rans 🤣🤣

As European Champions its different, we're lining up a trip to Istanbul for yhe super cup and possible winter trip to Qatar with my lad and mates 😉

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This is what happens when your club goes through that barren spell and become also rans 🤣🤣

As European Champions its different, we're lining up a trip to Istanbul for yhe super cup and possible winter trip to Qatar with my lad and mates 😉

just reverting to the mean haha, im just glad I was about for the spell where we massively overperformed :)

enjoy your trips, dont miss the home games at all but do miss the odd away trip or two

Tashyboy

Visit site
City have a massive advantage over the rest of the league by ignoring FFP.

Playing at home after CL games is a bonus, but its down to luck of the draw. I know Jose was moaning last season about the same thing. We've been on the opposite end of that under Rafa when we played away in moscow iirc on the wednesday, not returned back til 6 am thursday morning then played Portsmouth away saturday 12 oclock kick off.

We were told to shut up and stop whinging

allegadly 😁. Read a lovely piece on the BBC site where Real are spending a few euros buying the next galacticos, however the president of the Spanish FA has gone quiet having spent the last few months slagging off the prem league and PSG for spending vast amounts of brass.

D

Deleted member 1740

just reverting to the mean haha, im just glad I was about for the spell where we massively overperformed :)

enjoy your trips, dont miss the home games at all but do miss the odd away trip or two

Haha, those 6 months of hell under Hodgson has made me a stronger person and apppreciate the great times we've had.

It makes it even better having my lad with me, he loves it.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Haha, those 6 months of hell under Hodgson has made me a stronger person and apppreciate the great times we've had.

It makes it even better having my lad with me, he loves it.

Wish the Graham era had only been 6 mths haha. Did make me appreciate how fortunate we were with Wengers early years though! Not sure the future bodes too well though, owners wallet firmly shut and the games moved past where you can be fully self sufficient and compete at the top table, especially when most of your asset value got destroyed a couple of years ago

Enjoy, expect going with the lad makes it all the better

D

Deleted member 1740

allegadly 😁. Read a lovely piece on the BBC site where Real are spending a few euros buying the next galacticos, however the president of the Spanish FA has gone quiet having spent the last few months slagging off the prem league and PSG for spending vast amounts of brass.

He's probably got that "if you cant beat them, join them mentality" 😂

Fish

Banned
Visit site

I look purely because my birthday falls in the opening week and with it being a special one this year, I needed to know when we were at home or away for the first weekend.

So I’m now having my birthday bash at Chelsea at home to Leicester, which is the same day Rick passed, then a local bash here in Cov the weekend after.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I look purely because my birthday falls in the opening week and with it being a special one this year, I needed to know when we were at home or away for the first weekend.

So I’m now having my birthday bash at Chelsea at home to Leicester, which is the same day Rick passed, then a local bash here in Cov the weekend after.

In case I miss it at the time, happy 70th mate ;)

D

Deleted member 1740

Wish the Graham era had only been 6 mths haha. Did make me appreciate how fortunate we were with Wengers early years though! Not sure the future bodes too well though, owners wallet firmly shut and the games moved past where you can be fully self sufficient and compete at the top table, especially when most of your asset value got destroyed a couple of years ago

Enjoy, expect going with the lad makes it all the better

Been there, seen it, done it. Loads of infighting, arguing, demonstrations against hicks and gillette, being told to shut up and support the team, we cant do nothing, they wont listen you/us etc etc. Those were dark days fearing we'd lose OUR club to a pair of greedy, lying charlatans.

I didnt realise or understand when my auld fella used to say he enjoyed going the game more with me and my brother, these last 4yrs with my lad have been brilliant, even losing finals, it hurts and hurts bad but when you win it blows all that hurt away and brings so much joy.