Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Fish

Banned
Visit site
People seem to be writing or making observations that are clearly not factual!

Sarri wasn't or hasn't been sacked, he hasn't been hounded out either, yes some fans didn't like the football and changes he was attempting to adopt and stick with, even though it clearly at times wasn't working and was soon getting found out by the opposition, but if he felt unwanted and felt the need to leave on those grounds, then he's weak and I wouldn't want him based on that either!

However, he left because he missed being in Italy, couple that with his elderly parents who need more constant care, he wanted to be closer to home, and with sending out those signals, Juve came knocking and have given him the opportunity to leave, so everyone is happy.

It makes a refreshing change that we are getting money for a manager departing early, but then our turnover of managers works for us..

IMG_0334.JPG

It's looking far more likely as time goes on that Lampard could be coming, I actually said when he was first mentioned it was too early for him, another year (or 2) would be better, but I've changed that view slightly, mainly because he's served under an array of managers and has seen success under most if not all of them, so his portfolio as far as gleaming all that experience must stand for something, then with a personal touch of his own knowing the club and expectations as much as he does, I think he could be very successful, and his talks with Roman to have an agreement and assurance in regards to being given time (2yrs) to be judged more evenly due to the transfer situations, and with Jody by his side and using the youth and loan players that have been shortlisted to return, I think he will/could hit the ground running!

It's very easy to find fault in any team or club, it's very easy to write doom & gloom opinions based on current situations, which I personally don't think are as bad as some people would hope or like them to be, and I think as soon as those results don't happen in the negative manner they so desire, they'll spin another yarn or drag something else up to appease there obsessions with Chelsea and how we go about our business, which again isn't that bad as the photo above of trophies & titles clearly proves.

We (Sarri) was lucky, finishing where we did was solely down to those around us choking, it wasn't by us playing any better than we had prior, we had 6th (5th at best) written all over us, but thankfully both our neighbors and Utd stuck to their usual trait of imploding, as for the Europa win, yes it's great to win and also qualify for the CL had we finished outside the top 4, but we all know cup runs and wins can be lucky also, it's all on the day, and we had ours, as we will in the future with whoever comes to lead us...

Write us off at your peril :sneaky:

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would agree on the view that Lampard would be a natural fit with the transfer ban pending. However, I think Sarri was mortally wounded by Kepa refusing to do as told and leave the pitch. I also think Sarri knew what would be coming at some time soonish anyway, so I don't blame him for returning to Italy, yes the reasons given are valid but I do think a little helpful for all concerned.:)

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Yea, it’s clearly been well managed in an attempt to hide the unhappiness at Stamford Bridge but Sarri was a dead man walking and it’s just convenient that this option allows everyone to save a little bit of face.

D

Deleted member 15344

People seem to be writing or making observations that are clearly not factual!

Sarri wasn't or hasn't been sacked, he hasn't been hounded out either, yes some fans didn't like the football and changes he was attempting to adopt and stick with, even though it clearly at times wasn't working and was soon getting found out by the opposition, but if he felt unwanted and felt the need to leave on those grounds, then he's weak and I wouldn't want him based on that either!

You only need to read social media to see the reactions towards him through the year - at the start he was doing well ( fans laud him etc ) , then struggled mid season - fans want him gone , he dwasnt even halfway through his first season and there are calls for him to go ? Then he finishes well - wins a trophy and gets the club into CL when it looked way off at one stage. Even then any credit he is getting is tainted with "others fell over etc etc" -- even saw media posts mocking him because of the delight he showed in winning his first medal in sport.

Maybe its because the way the club have been since Roman arrived - 13 managers is it ? that allows the attitude of calls for the manager to go within months of him starting out - Scolari , Villas Boas - neither lasted a season.

However, he left because he missed being in Italy, couple that with his elderly parents who need more constant care, he wanted to be closer to home, and with sending out those signals, Juve came knocking and have given him the opportunity to leave, so everyone is happy.

It makes a refreshing change that we are getting money for a manager departing early, but then our turnover of managers works for us..

View attachment 27581

Yep Chelsea have won a good number of trophies especially since Roman arrived - is that success because of the revolving door of managers or because of the unlimited funds of the owner being supplied to bring in the players ? The club being ok just to buy when needed and if the player didnt work out just buy again ? Its a working method that not many clubs can follow - only City really

It's looking far more likely as time goes on that Lampard could be coming, I actually said when he was first mentioned it was too early for him, another year (or 2) would be better, but I've changed that view slightly, mainly because he's served under an array of managers and has seen success under most if not all of them, so his portfolio as far as gleaming all that experience must stand for something, then with a personal touch of his own knowing the club and expectations as much as he does, I think he could be very successful, and his talks with Roman to have an agreement and assurance in regards to being given time (2yrs) to be judged more evenly due to the transfer situations, and with Jody by his side and using the youth and loan players that have been shortlisted to return, I think he will/could hit the ground running!

Lampard took a Derby team who finished 6th the season before to 6th again , was able to bring in lots of loan players but utlimately fell short - its a massive risk to take with a manager who has had one season. There have been many players who have worked under some of the best managers around and they have failed - there are prob more ex star players who have failed than who have succeeded - the last really truley successful one was Kenny in the 80's but then he had people like Bob Paisley still helping etc.

And then when Lampard does get the job - how are the fans going to react if it doesnt go well early doors ? They reacted when established managers struggled early doors - will Lampard get the same treatment or given some leeway ? Football is fickle and over the last 15 years Chelsea have gained a lot of new fans - a couple of months struggling and it wont take much before the fans turn on Lampard.

It's very easy to find fault in any team or club, it's very easy to write doom & gloom opinions based on current situations, which I personally don't think are as bad as some people would hope or like them to be, and I think as soon as those results don't happen in the negative manner they so desire, they'll spin another yarn or drag something else up to appease there obsessions with Chelsea and how we go about our business, which again isn't that bad as the photo above of trophies & titles clearly proves.

We (Sarri) was lucky, finishing where we did was solely down to those around us choking, it wasn't by us playing any better than we had prior, we had 6th (5th at best) written all over us, but thankfully both our neighbors and Utd stuck to their usual trait of imploding, as for the Europa win, yes it's great to win and also qualify for the CL had we finished outside the top 4, but we all know cup runs and wins can be lucky also, it's all on the day, and we had ours, as we will in the future with whoever comes to lead us...

Write us off at your peril :sneaky:

People are just judging based on the situation they see in the club

Best player has left
Squad struggles last year
Owner seems to have detached himself
Transfer ban
Best two young players with serious long term injuries
No manager
Weak squad

If you had a rival in the same position would you not think - "they are going to struggle"

That photo you showed of the trophies won was done when Chelsea had some of the best players in the world and that helped them win those trophies - its hard to see those level of players at Chelsea now that Hazard has left

Is Lampard going to go down the youth road and use players returning from loans - did those players star in the highest league ?

If Lampard is successful at Chelsea ( wins titles etc ) its prob going to be his most outstanding achievement and one worthy of the highest praise

Its no about obsessions etc its just about debating the league and the teams , with currently the situation at Chelsea being hot topic

D

Deleted member 1418

Weak squad

You made a number of good and valid points in your post Phil, but I'd disagree with Chelsea having a 'weak' squad - everyone of our match day squad is/was an international player. The Chelsea squad last year was still better than 17 other Premier league sides - it just wasn't as good as both City and Liverpool.

Losing Hazard is absolutely massive for us, but I remember reading a fair few posts on here last season criticising Hazard's inconsistency and how he didn't show up in a number of games!

So whilst losing an 'individual' of that quality and ability is going to hurt massively, from a 'team' perspective we could be better off as we now don't have the 'give the ball to Eden and hope he comes up with a bit of magic' option, which was happening when things were getting desperate - that's easy to defend against.

But if the transfer ban remains and the new man has to go down the 'youth' route, it actually makes Chelsea a bit of an unknown quantity for next season. I seem to remember a team from Salford doing that about 20 years ago and not doing too badly with kids.........!!! ;):ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 15344

You made a number of good and valid points in your post Phil, but I'd disagree with Chelsea having a 'weak' squad - everyone of our match day squad is/was an international player. The Chelsea squad last year was still better than 17 other Premier league sides - it just wasn't as good as both City and Liverpool.

Losing Hazard is absolutely massive for us, but I remember reading a fair few posts on here last season criticising Hazard's inconsistency and how he didn't show up in a number of games!

So whilst losing an 'individual' of that quality and ability is going to hurt massively, from a 'team' perspective we could be better off as we now don't have the 'give the ball to Eden and hope he comes up with a bit of magic' option, which was happening when things were getting desperate - that's easy to defend against.

But if the transfer ban remains and the new man has to go down the 'youth' route, it actually makes Chelsea a bit of an unknown quantity for next season. I seem to remember a team from Salford doing that about 20 years ago and not doing too badly with kids.........!!! ;):ROFLMAO:

The weak squad is more about looking at the squad now after Hazard has left and yeah relative to your rivals.

And Yep Hazard didnt show up in a number of games - especially at times in the big games in the league but he still produced many moments of magic that won you games , suspect Hazard won you more games than any other player did for other teams.

As for the team mentality when Hazard goes you can not rely on one player - i guess we thought the same when Suarez left , and we still had a lot of quality in the team, but Suarez left it was clear the replacements werent good enough and that we ( indeed all teams ) need that special player to produce that magic - we have it now , City do , even Arsenal with their strikers - now Hazard has gone its really hard to see where the magic comes from to break the deadlock

And if the team goes down the route of youth whilst you are spot in regards what Man Utd did with Butt , Scholes , Neville and Beckham but they were more a one off and a special bunch of players also mainly unknown , Chelseas youth team are scattered all over Europe , and people have seen plenty of them before to see if they are actually good enough - and whilst Hudson Odoi is clearly talented , players like Abraham ?! i dont see him being good enough.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
And if the team goes down the route of youth whilst you are spot in regards what Man Utd did with Butt , Scholes , Neville and Beckham but they were more a one off and a special bunch of players also mainly unknown , Chelseas youth team are scattered all over Europe , and people have seen plenty of them before to see if they are actually good enough - and whilst Hudson Odoi is clearly talented , players like Abraham ?! i dont see him being good enough.

They also had the benefit of playing together since they were very young and that has to make a huge difference.
I should imagine that a lot of the Chelsea youngsters have barely met one another.

D

Deleted member 1418

I should imagine that a lot of the Chelsea youngsters have barely met one another.

So all those who turn up to play week in and week out in the Academy Youth Leagues and the U23 League have barely met one another? Blimey we must be putting out a different team each week then!!! ;):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
So all those who turn up to play week in and week out in the Academy Youth Leagues and the U23 League have barely met one another? Blimey we must be putting out a different team each week then!!! ;):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

It’s amazing isn’t it, makes you wonder how we have won those leagues and FA Cups with so many strangers clocking in & out!

D

Deleted member 15344

It’s amazing isn’t it, makes you wonder how we have won those leagues and FA Cups with so many strangers clocking in & out!
The Youth FA Cup is for U18’s - how many of them are ready to go into the first team ?

And the U23 only been around for 3 season - been won Everton twice and Arsenal once

Before that it was the U21 league from 2012 - Chelsea won it once

You have been successful in the FA Youth Cup and those teams will be players that can’t go on loan being under 18 - the Under 23s at the club may well be spread all over Europe hence Slimes point. Your Under 23 which is the step below the first team haven’t been that successful prob because the better players are out on loan

D

Deleted member 1418

The Youth FA Cup is for U18’s - how many of them are ready to go into the first team ?

And the U23 only been around for 3 season - been won Everton twice and Arsenal once

Before that it was the U21 league from 2012 - Chelsea won it once

You have been successful in the FA Youth Cup and those teams will be players that can’t go on loan being under 18 - the Under 23s at the club may well be spread all over Europe hence Slimes point. Your Under 23 which is the step below the first team haven’t been that successful prob because the better players are out on loan

They'll all still know each other though Phil that's the point as they would've played in the same teams coming up through the ranks. Doesn't matter if a load of those are out on loan.

And at Chelsea - probably the same as other clubs - there are staff monitoring the players out on loan, and acting as the liaison between Chelsea and the clubs that have them with regard to their game time, development etc.

A significant number of youth players from the top clubs will go out in loan for first team experience.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Chelsea fans, who do you think will be your starting striker next season? I suppose logic suggests Giroud, but if Lamps is the new manager would he give Abraham or Batshuayi the chance, do you think? I have to say none of those three would fill me with confidence of a good goal return. With all the talk of who replaces Hazard's creativity, I think the fact you also don't have a decent goalscoring striker is being slightly overlooked.

D

Deleted member 15344

They'll all still know each other though Phil that's the point as they would've played in the same teams coming up through the ranks. Doesn't matter if a load of those are out on loan.

I think the point Slime was making is the players that Utd brought in did develop throughout as a team and then first team - there wasn’t player going on loan apart from Beckham who had 5 games - all the others - Giggs , Neville’s etc went through every level together.

Look at Abraham for example - spent about 4 years on loan now ? And there is prob a lot of players in the same situation - we have it with a couple of ours as well. But It’s going to hard for Chelsea to integrate these players into the team - if they are actually good enough though

And at Chelsea - probably the same as other clubs - there are staff monitoring the players out on loan, and acting as the liaison between Chelsea and the clubs that have them with regard to their game time, development etc.

A significant number of youth players from the top clubs will go out in loan for first team experience.

All clubs do it - Chelsea prob a lot more than others expect maybe Arsenal but not many of those going out on loan seem to break through - we don’t have anyone really , Loftus Cheek at Chelsea was very much bit part.

It’s going to be very hard for Chelsea next season with the squad they have , injuries , transfer ban and the returning youngsters maybe not being at the required level. As you said it could be a great time for a change of direction for the club - less mass spending and more developing or getting the mix between the two , but to do that would mean patience from owner and fans , and the removal of the instant success attitude that seems to happen.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think the point Slime was making is the players that Utd brought in did develop throughout as a team and then first team - there wasn’t player going on loan apart from Beckham who had 5 games - all the others - Giggs , Neville’s etc went through every level together.

Look at Abraham for example - spent about 4 years on loan now ? And there is prob a lot of players in the same situation - we have it with a couple of ours as well. But It’s going to hard for Chelsea to integrate these players into the team - if they are actually good enough though

All clubs do it - Chelsea prob a lot more than others expect maybe Arsenal but not many of those going out on loan seem to break through - we don’t have anyone really , Loftus Cheek at Chelsea was very much bit part.

It’s going to be very hard for Chelsea next season with the squad they have , injuries , transfer ban and the returning youngsters maybe not being at the required level. As you said it could be a great time for a change of direction for the club - less mass spending and more developing or getting the mix between the two , but to do that would mean patience from owner and fans , and the removal of the instant success attitude that seems to happen.
I think this guy is the worst example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomáš_Kalas
I know he's getting paid handsomely but still, why on earth did he sign another contract in 2017? He's 26 years old, been there since 2010 and played 4 times for them. Eight seasons out on loan, never settling into a club really. I don't know why players would want a career like that.