Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Swango1980

Visit site
So, I really don't see this season starting again, certainly in 3 weeks.

I dont see is being feasible finishing it in summer now. As others have said, stadiums will be booked for other events most likely. And, importantly, many player contracts run out by June. I can't see how clubs can make them sign an extension for a few months just to finish season out, if they dont want to.

I don't like idea of finishing this season at start of next season. In all honesty, once this all subsides, I think most of us will just want a fresh start and try and get back to some sort of normality?

I jokingly said to just cancel the season. But, perhaps they should just leave the table as it stands. Liverpool champions. Nobody could argue with that really. To avoid the pit falls of promotion relegation, how about next season, for one season only, we have Premier League A and Premier League B. The top 14 teams in current league would be in PL A. The bottom 6, and top 8 of Championship would be in PL B. Then, top 6 of PL B would be in the back to normal PL for the next season?

Still difficulty with European positions. But, if UEFA could discuss this with all leagues, maybe they can open up more spots for Europe next season. Maybe top 5 or 6 for english teams into Champuins League. The format could be adjusted, maybe groups of 3 instead of 4, top 1 to get through, so that the number of fixtures does not go through the roof. That way, clubs currently fighting for european positions would get in for that.

I guess there are tons of things that could be done. But, if they don't start playing football again in 3 weeks, I honestly think this season is already over.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Players contracts running out in June is really not an issue at PL levels. Div 1 and 2, yes absolutely but not PL. Think about how many players in a teams squad are allowed to get to that stage, very few, and then think of the number of games they are playing for that team. For every Aaron Ramsey there are 10-20 others who the clubs can't move on due to high wages and they are stuck with, sitting on the bench or up in the stands. We have 5 or 6 at Everton who will never play in the first team again, we can't sell and their contracts will just run down. None of those players are relevant to the 1st team playing squad.

At the lower levels, as these are extraordinary times then I see no reason why the EFL do not bring in special dispensation regarding temporary contracts for the short term to retain players. If not you are effectively allowing an additional transfer window in the season albeit for players only out of contract.

The euros can be delayed a year, league seasons extended into that period if required. If we do not restart football again in time to fit in that gap then it gets more complicated. One step at a time though, no need for dramatic decisions at this stage.

I think the issue of players contracts running out is the least difficult of the conundrum to resolve.

D

Deleted member 1740

So, I really don't see this season starting again, certainly in 3 weeks.

I dont see is being feasible finishing it in summer now. As others have said, stadiums will be booked for other events most likely. And, importantly, many player contracts run out by June. I can't see how clubs can make them sign an extension for a few months just to finish season out, if they dont want to.

I don't like idea of finishing this season at start of next season. In all honesty, once this all subsides, I think most of us will just want a fresh start and try and get back to some sort of normality?

I jokingly said to just cancel the season. But, perhaps they should just leave the table as it stands. Liverpool champions. Nobody could argue with that really. To avoid the pit falls of promotion relegation, how about next season, for one season only, we have Premier League A and Premier League B. The top 14 teams in current league would be in PL A. The bottom 6, and top 8 of Championship would be in PL B. Then, top 6 of PL B would be in the back to normal PL for the next season?

Still difficulty with European positions. But, if UEFA could discuss this with all leagues, maybe they can open up more spots for Europe next season. Maybe top 5 or 6 for english teams into Champuins League. The format could be adjusted, maybe groups of 3 instead of 4, top 1 to get through, so that the number of fixtures does not go through the roof. That way, clubs currently fighting for european positions would get in for that.

I guess there are tons of things that could be done. But, if they don't start playing football again in 3 weeks, I honestly think this season is already over.

As it stands we've got 5 months until the proposed start to next season. Theres potentially 4 weeks worth of games to be played, playing sat/sun/tues/weds/sat/sun. There should be no rush to make the right decision. Even if we get to June, it's got to be finished.

It's unfair on too many clubs to not finish the season across all leagues inc scotland and europe.

Swango1980

Visit site
Players contracts running out in June is really not an issue at PL levels. Div 1 and 2, yes absolutely but not PL. Think about how many players in a teams squad are allowed to get to that stage, very few, and then think of the number of games they are playing for that team. For every Aaron Ramsey there are 10-20 others who the clubs can't move on due to high wages and they are stuck with, sitting on the bench or up in the stands. We have 5 or 6 at Everton who will never play in the first team again, we can't sell and their contracts will just run down. None of those players are relevant to the 1st team playing squad.

At the lower levels, as these are extraordinary times then I see no reason why the EFL do not bring in special dispensation regarding temporary contracts for the short term to retain players. If not you are effectively allowing an additional transfer window in the season albeit for players only out of contract.

The euros can be delayed a year, league seasons extended into that period if required. If we do not restart football again in time to fit in that gap then it gets more complicated. One step at a time though, no need for dramatic decisions at this stage.

I think the issue of players contracts running out is the least difficult of the conundrum to resolve.
Apparently Sheff Wednesday have 8-10 players running out of contract in June (source was a fan today, so I'm guessing that is right). So, even if not an issue in Premiership, I reckon clubs even in Championship will suffer. All very well saying contracts can be extended by 2 months. But, in reality, if a player had his contract running out, why would they sign a 2 month extension? Either they were waiting it out anyway, or they know the club wont keep them after 2 months.

I initially felt playing in summer would be the way forward. Maybe it is. But, as others have said, might not be easy if stadiums are booked up?

Also, I honestly cant see this being over by summer. Hope it is. But having talked to a GP and nurse in N Ireland (family and friends), this is a pretty bad situation. Pretty being an understatement. So, all I hope for now is that we can start getting back to normality by end of summer, although it would be lovely to think everything will be good by April. Fingers crossed.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Can't see any way around it not being cancelled and can't see UEFA wanting to start their comps next year based on this years competitors and with so much money involved teams will argue they could have qualified and so losing massive money.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Apparently Sheff Wednesday have 8-10 players running out of contract in June (source was a fan today, so I'm guessing that is right). So, even if not an issue in Premiership, I reckon clubs even in Championship will suffer. All very well saying contracts can be extended by 2 months. But, in reality, if a player had his contract running out, why would they sign a 2 month extension? Either they were waiting it out anyway, or they know the club wont keep them after 2 months.

I initially felt playing in summer would be the way forward. Maybe it is. But, as others have said, might not be easy if stadiums are booked up?

Also, I honestly cant see this being over by summer. Hope it is. But having talked to a GP and nurse in N Ireland (family and friends), this is a pretty bad situation. Pretty being an understatement. So, all I hope for now is that we can start getting back to normality by end of summer, although it would be lovely to think everything will be good by April. Fingers crossed.
The EFL could prevent players from moving clubs and playing for a new team during the remainder of the season? It's not a perfect answer and I accept there are contractual and legal complications but these are strange times and surely the leagues and clubs can come to a mutually agreeable solution.

In terms of grounds again there are ways around this. For every ground with concerts on there are plenty that will lie empty. Clubs need to work together and if that means using another clubs ground for a home game then so be it. Can you see a chairman saying no to such a request at the moment?

As has been said, extraordinary times, extraordinary measures.

Can't disagree with your last comments ?

D

Deleted member 1740

Can't see any way around it not being cancelled and can't see UEFA wanting to start their comps next year based on this years competitors and with so much money involved teams will argue they could have qualified and so losing massive money.

So are Liverpool still the defending European Champions?

Swango1980

Visit site
Just another thought. Will most clubs be happy to have their players start playing again without any warm up games? Even on the 2 week winter break, that was being blamed for some players getting injured on return.

If they start playing 3rd April, maybe that will be just about ok? But, anything longer, I cant see most clubs being happy at all. Players wont be match fit. And then what? Ask them to play 2-3 games a week to try and catch up some ground?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Just another thought. Will most clubs be happy to have their players start playing again without any warm up games? Even on the 2 week winter break, that was being blamed for some players getting injured on return.

If they start playing 3rd April, maybe that will be just about ok? But, anything longer, I cant see most clubs being happy at all. Players wont be match fit. And then what? Ask them to play 2-3 games a week to try and catch up some ground?

At a push I'd imagine clubs would simply have to try and rotate their squads and perhaps the PL will allow extra registrations so U23 teams could be allowed to play as well as squads already declared. After that managers would have to decide how they use their players. I do agree though that there likelihood off players getting muscle injuries etc is far greater (wonder if some will get a "strain" and not be seen until next season anyway)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

It's a moot point

The season won't be restarting anytime soon if at all

By then the over 70s could be in lock down

Does that mean palace manager can't come to work?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
At a push I'd imagine clubs would simply have to try and rotate their squads and perhaps the PL will allow extra registrations so U23 teams could be allowed to play as well as squads already declared. After that managers would have to decide how they use their players. I do agree though that there likelihood off players getting muscle injuries etc is far greater (wonder if some will get a "strain" and not be seen until next season anyway)
Most players keep themselves fit . But match fitness is important.
The only ones who need to be on form are the ones with something to play for ,mainly top and bottom teams .
If Liverpool get the points they need quickly they can more or less let the first team go on holiday.
Using the squad to play remaining games gives the players a long rest.
Some teams at the bottom or fighting for CL places won’t have that luxury.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Most players keep themselves fit . But match fitness is important.
The only ones who need to be on form are the ones with something to play for ,mainly top and bottom teams .
If Liverpool get the points they need quickly they can more or less let the first team go on holiday.
Using the squad to play remaining games gives the players a long rest.
Some teams at the bottom or fighting for CL places won’t have that luxury.

Well mason mount thought it was okay to meet up with Declan rice for a kick about

Chelsea are self isolating

Ffs

D

Deleted member 1740

It's a moot point

The season won't be restarting anytime soon if at all

By then the over 70s could be in lock down

Does that mean palace manager can't come to work?

That might improve them ??

For the integrity of the worldwide game the season needs to be finished in every pro league .

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

For the integrity of the worldwide game the season needs to be finished in every pro league .

Sorry but the integrity of football for one sailed a long time ago

But as klopp himself said

There are bigger and more important things than football right now.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry but the integrity of football for one sailed a long time ago

But as klopp himself said

There are bigger and more important things than football right now.
I think it shows the class of the man that he is the only one in footy saying that, instead of the “poor me/us” pronouncements of Rooney.

Swango1980

Visit site

Given the scale of this crisis, I don't think the "integrity" of the game of football will be ruined regardless of many different scenarios they decide to go with in starting it up again. I think most people will end up simply being happy that we can, at some point, get back to watching football again, even if the last year is completely cancelled. I don't think it will necessarily come to that, and appreciate it would be a bit of a kick in the nuts to some teams, and obviously Liverpool, if that did happen. So, they need to look at all solutions to stop that happening.

But, this is completely unprecedented. I doubt there is anything in the small print in the rules to say what would happen in this situation (otherwise I'm sure we'd have all heard about it by now). So, anything can happen. This time last week at work, everyone was still pretty much unconcerned about everything. This morning, there is pretty much a high expectation that, at some point, working from home will become compulsory. It is when, not if. So, if things are about to potentially get very bad here in the UK, in terms of disruption to our everyday lives, it is difficult to see football clubs agreeing to let their players play football any time soon. And, if they can resume the season in September instead, I can see that introducing all sorts of other problems, rather than just wiping the slate clean and starting up normally.

Tried to see what happened during the outbreak of WW2. All competitions were abandoned. However, this was in September, so to be fair the season probably only just got started. On a smaller scale, though, I guess the Players Championship was just cancelled. OK, they were only 1 round in, but I bet Matsuyama was quite downbeat about it, after shooting a course record :(