Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just another thought. Will most clubs be happy to have their players start playing again without any warm up games? Even on the 2 week winter break, that was being blamed for some players getting injured on return.

If they start playing 3rd April, maybe that will be just about ok? But, anything longer, I cant see most clubs being happy at all. Players wont be match fit. And then what? Ask them to play 2-3 games a week to try and catch up some ground?

After my initial ideas last week, and what has moved on since:-

Personally, I think that we may be best having the pre-season break now, for at least 2 months (in football).

Sack next years nations league.

Delay Euros for 1 year.

No foreign pre-season games - go to your local FL and non-league teams - God knows, they will need that money. If Tranmere, Chester, Wrexham, Southport and Marine played Liverpool, Everton it will be money-spinners, hard cheese on the premier teams not having lucrative Asian and US tours for one season - muck in, help the lower league teams, we're all in this together.

Finish this season in May/June or July/August. If the first 2 months, still give the players a few weeks off. If the latter cancel next years league cup and FA cup for one season, compensate leagues 1 and 2, and the top divisions of the non-league from Premiership TV deals, and the clubs also. 2-3 week transfer window to happen before the next season starts.

As June-June may be a whole 12 months of playing, give the players a 2-4 week winter break in late Jan/early Feb.

Giving up is the easy and most unfair option - if we did that after Dunkirk, I'd now be supporting Bayern Liverpool.(y)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Personally, I think that we may be best having the pre-season break now, for at least 2 months (in football).

Delay Euros for 1 year.

No foreign pre-season games - go to your local FL and non-league teams - God knows, they will need that money. If Tranmere, Chester, Wrexham, Southport and Marine played Liverpool, Everton it will be money-spinners, hard cheese on the premier teams not having lucrative Asian and US tours for one season - muck in, help the lower league teams, we're all in this together.

Finish this season in May/June or July/August. If the first 2 months, still give the players a few weeks off. If the latter cancel next years league cup and FA cup for one season, compensate leagues 1 and 2, and the top divisions of the non-league from Premiership TV deals, and the clubs also. 2-3 week transfer window to happen before the next season starts.

As June-June may be a whole 12 months of playing, give the players a 2-4 week winter break in late Jan/early Feb.

Giving up is the easy and most unfair option - if we did that after Dunkirk, I'd now be supporting Bayern Liverpool.(y)

Ok so what happens to players contracts that expire June 30th? Loan players come back to their clubs?

What about Chelsea who have a signing who signs July 1st? So he can then play for them can he in this season?

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ok so what happens to players contracts that expire June 30th? Loan players come back to their clubs?

What about Chelsea who have a signing who signs July 1st? So he can then play for them can he in this season?

Is it really worth me arguing with you, go on, is it?

There are big hurdles and there are little hurdles, and Lord Tyrion answers it very well.(y)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is it really worth me arguing with you, go on, is it?

There are big hurdles and there are little hurdles, and Lord Tyrion answers it very well.(y)

Not really no as I'm following logic

The season is much easily voided

And I bet if it was citeh out in front like this nobody would even care

D

Deleted member 16999

Delay Euros for 1 year.

Good one on the pre-season fixtures.

Not sure the FA would be willing to drop their Cup Comps.

I can see all the Euro Club and National Comps at bigger risk as Countries recover at different rates and whether any Leagues are finished or binned.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Or if West Ham weren’t near the bottom 3:unsure:

Couldn't care less tbh... If we go down or not is not a concern to us

We will still exist

We may come back we may not

But for Liverpool it's huge the first title in decades

If it was city nobody would care it would be just another title

4LEX

Visit site
Gotta love Sky and the Sunday Supplement especially. Yesterday was a classic in the arrogance of these football journos. Martin Samual says with a straightface at the end "theres no appetite for the season to be voided".......and 2 minutes later on the same channel, a poll with over 220,000 votes indicated the majority wanted it voided :ROFLMAO:

Swango1980

Visit site

Delay Euros for 1 year.

It's a good idea about Premiership clubs playing against lower league clubs, try and support them as much as possible.

However, I think continuing season in late September would have many problems. As mentioned, player contracts and transfers will be one issue. Booked stadiums another. Also, will be very interesting what other European Leagues decide to do. There will be the issue of what happens with European Qualification next year, whether it goes ahead, what format and how qualification works. If it does go ahead, could be problematic if leagues are still trying to finish their games in August / September?

D

Deleted member 1740

Sorry but the integrity of football for one sailed a long time ago

But as klopp himself said

There are bigger and more important things than football right now.

Apologies I meant for the "Integrity of the competition".

Klopp is correct and I'm of the same opinion.

Once this virus is under control and the experts say it's safe to get back to normality then all pro football should be reconvened and the competitions should be completed from where it left off.

Next season can wait, Its really that simple.

D

Deleted member 1740

Couldn't care less tbh... If we go down or not is not a concern to us

We will still exist

We may come back we may not

But for Liverpool it's huge the first title in decades

If it was city nobody would care it would be just another title

This isnt just about Liverpool, It's about the rest of football.

Look at the lower leagues, Fleetwood are in a position to get promoted ahead of bigger teams.

Brentford are a few games and a bit a luck away from the promised land,Bristol city Cardiff Milwall all 5/6 points behind the play offs.

Celtic are going to equal 9 in a row....

Many many more smaller clubs in great positions etc

Do you really think it's acceptable to dent these and many other teams the chance to create their own history for the sake of being flexible?

What's the rush in starting next season?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Apologies I meant for the "Integrity of the competition".

Klopp is correct and I'm of the same opinion.

Once this virus is under control and the experts say it's safe to get back to normality then all pro football should be reconvened and the competitions should be completed from where it left off.

Next season can wait, Its really that simple.

Well no it's not simple because of contracts and other bits as I keep mentioning

However your right next season could wait

If they say are ready to start in July
Give everyone a one month transfer window to sort out their teams and continue from there

Then it's fair

For example 1st July west brom lose one their best players to us because he is just on loan

So they are weakened and we are strengthened mid season without some sort of adjustment

D

Deleted member 1740

Well no it's not simple because of contracts and other bits as I keep mentioning

However your right next season could wait

If they say are ready to start in July
Give everyone a one month transfer window to sort out their teams and continue from there

Then it's fair

For example 1st July west brom lose one their best players to us because he is just on loan

So they are weakened and we are strengthened mid season without some sort of adjustment

The simple solution will be all players are contracted to the club until completed end of the football season. I'm pretty certain all players,clubs and agents would accept this. They're still being paid right now whilst they're off.

Lower league Clubs have budgeted for the season with ST sales and gate receipts. Cancel the season and clubs will be faced with a massive bill to refund ST's etc.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The simple solution will be all players are contracted to the club until completed end of the football season. I'm pretty certain all players,clubs and agents would accept this. They're still being paid right now whilst they're off.

Lower league Clubs have budgeted for the season with ST sales and gate receipts. Cancel the season and clubs will be faced with a massive bill to refund ST's etc.

Slight example where it might not work

Say your contract is due to expire

Would you wanna stay? Would you say to club oh I'll stay but will cost you another year or 30th June I'm off?

Swango1980

Visit site

I don't think that is how contracts work though.

Some players will be running their contracts down. Are they going to stay at that club for another few months (especially if they can get a better contract elsewhere)?

For many players, the clubs will have allowed their contracts to run down, as they have no intention of keeping them. Are players going to have the loyalty to stick with that club for another few months? Or, will clubs want to keep them on their wage bill for another couple of months, if they've already decided they want to get rid of them due to high wages?

I don't think you can simply just say "all players and clubs must extend their contract for another couple of months". And, if we get to June / July, still no football? Are you saying players should just indefinitely extend these contracts for goodness knows how long?

D

Deleted member 1740

Slight example where it might not work

Say your contract is due to expire

Would you wanna stay? Would you say to club oh I'll stay but will cost you another year or 30th June I'm off?

I'm pretty certain all pros right now want to play football.

I'm certain the FA/PL/UEFA will pass a legislation to stop players doing what you're suggesting and either making the players stay at their contracted club or withhold the registration to their new clubs.

If football is cancelled til 1st june , would those players refuse their salaries because they're not actually earning the wage right now?