Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Swango1980

Visit site
I'm pretty certain all pros right now want to play football.

I'm certain the FA/PL/UEFA will pass a legislation to stop players doing what you're suggesting and either making the players stay at their contracted club or withhold the registration to their new clubs.

If football is cancelled til 1st june , would those players refuse their salaries because they're not actually earning the wage right now?
I don't think the football authorities would do that at all. Otherwise, risk getting sued for infringing on players rights.

Definition of Contract: A contract of employment is a legal agreement between the employer and the employee. Its terms cannot lawfully be changed by the employer without agreement from the employee (either individually or through a recognised trade union).

So, given that players contracts are between the player and their club, tell me how the FA / Premier League have the authority to change those contracts. And, if they threatened players by witholding registration for other clubs, expect huge lawsuits to come their way.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I doubt we'll see any football for a number of months. UEFA are said to be meeting tomorrow so we'll know more about the plans for the Euros. If they call that off now then that eases some of the issues but can't see the Premier League and EFL being in a position to make any decision about restarting this season for months so they may consider that is too long to wait and call it over now. How they'll decide upon results - if any - is open to all sorts of conjecture.

D

Deleted member 1740

I don't think that is how contracts work though.

Some players will be running their contracts down. Are they going to stay at that club for another few months (especially if they can get a better contract elsewhere)?

For many players, the clubs will have allowed their contracts to run down, as they have no intention of keeping them. Are players going to have the loyalty to stick with that club for another few months? Or, will clubs want to keep them on their wage bill for another couple of months, if they've already decided they want to get rid of them due to high wages?

I don't think you can simply just say "all players and clubs must extend their contract for another couple of months". And, if we get to June / July, still no football? Are you saying players should just indefinitely extend these contracts for goodness knows how long?

Of course it isnt, this is an extraordinary case.

There's always a solution to a contract.

Like I've said earlier, I'm sure the PL/UEFA/PFA could agree a solution to very few contract issues.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's a good idea about Premiership clubs playing against lower league clubs, try and support them as much as possible.

However, I think continuing season in late September would have many problems. As mentioned, player contracts and transfers will be one issue. Booked stadiums another. Also, will be very interesting what other European Leagues decide to do. There will be the issue of what happens with European Qualification next year, whether it goes ahead, what format and how qualification works. If it does go ahead, could be problematic if leagues are still trying to finish their games in August / September?

There are going to be problems with all scenarios, come what may.

There arent that many stadiums that hold other events in the summer. I'm sure Liverpool would rather host games than "Pink", who can always come next year, or Football Aid, the same.

Competitions that arent started yet, are easier to change/postpone/amend than ones that are 80-90% done.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
if the worst case happens of a complete finish of season now with it voided like ive said before all prize money should be put into a pot

20% taken off the pot for lower league clubs who could fold

the rest divided evenly amongst the league

do that for every league

fair and consistent

D

Deleted member 1740

I don't think the football authorities would do that at all. Otherwise, risk getting sued for infringing on players rights.

Definition of Contract: A contract of employment is a legal agreement between the employer and the employee. Its terms cannot lawfully be changed by the employer without agreement from the employee (either individually or through a recognised trade union).

So, given that players contracts are between the player and their club, tell me how the FA / Premier League have the authority to change those contracts. And, if they threatened players by witholding registration for other clubs, expect huge lawsuits to come their way.

I'm sure there would be a solution agreed by all parties. Or should we cancel football just because of a few players contracts?

FIFA are reviewing impact of postponed games on player contracts and registrations....

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 1418

Any scenariothat stop Liverpool winning the league; imposes a European and transfer ban on Man City for at least 2 seasons; has Spurs, Arsenal and Man Utd missing out on European football next season; and stops dirty Leeds being promoted would be perfect ????

4LEX

Visit site
The problem is in the face of a global crisis I don't think anyone bar the fans of Liverpool or Leeds really cares about football or has the appetite to finish the season. I was really looking forward to the Champions League latter stages and the Euros but couldn't care less about those things. It just doesn't matter.

I couldn't think of anything worse than restarting the Premier League season in August, deciding it all, then having a break and starting another new season.

I think Liverpool are a special case as they're so far ahead they could be a vote and then awarded the title and everything else voided. Leeds are in a good position but with their history of letting leads slip, it's not nailed on,they can be voided with little fuss.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Let me chuck in Grenade.

Was it fair that all teams in the old Div 1 were banned from european football because of a club. ?
Me point is that when it comes to footballing decisions, the FA and Prem league bosses dont do fair.
For the record, give the title to Liverpool. But for all the complications of this season, giving the title to Liverpool is the easiest to solve of many.
And whatever is decided someone is going to be upset and say it's not fair.
Heres a thought, no relegation. 3 championship teams come up. Ban the league cup next year for the prem teams 6 go down next season.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Let me chuck in Grenade.

Was it fair that all teams in the old Div 1 were banned from european football because of a club. ?
Me point is that when it comes to footballing decisions, the FA and Prem league bosses dont do fair.
For the record, give the title to Liverpool. But for all the complications of this season, giving the title to Liverpool is the easiest to solve of many.
Heres a thought, no relegation. 3 championship teams come up. Ban the league cup next year for the prem teams 6 go down next season.

I know you like to add a little needle now and again, and Liverpool are the fake rivalry because they're competition. BUT that's shocking.

English fans were to blame for the european ban. Supporters of all clubs were up to no good

4LEX

Visit site
No it wasn't fair.

However English fans in general were causing trouble across Europe in the 70's and 80's, it wasn't just Liverpool. If it had been Chelsea, Man Utd or Arsenal in that final the outcome would've been the same, potentially worse.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I know you like to add a little needle now and again, and Liverpool are the fake rivalry because they're competition. BUT that's shocking.

English fans were to blame for the european ban. Supporters of all clubs were up to no good
As I mentioned I would give the title to Liverpool, but some fans would argue that was not the case esp Everton fans if memory serves me right and it come from a time when City were not affected as theres not much chance of going to europe when your in div 2.
Again my point is about "fair". I dont think there is any scenario where everyone will think the outcome will be fair. But again and once more using an example because its says Liverpool on the tin dont mean am havng a dig at Liverpool.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
As I mentioned I would give the title to Liverpool, but some fans would argue that was not the case esp Everton fans if memory serves me right and it come from a time when City were not affected as theres not much chance of going to europe when your in div 2.
Again my point is about "fair". I dont think there is any scenario where everyone will think the outcome will be fair. But again and once more using an example because its says Liverpool on the tin dont mean am havng a dig at Liverpool.

You referenced Heysel in a point scoring exercise. The only team that can have been aimed at was Liverpool. So no need to play the "i didn't say it guv" card.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There’s no fair way for everyone except , carry the season on when time is right.!
There’s nothing else that dosnt impact on someone unfairly.
Problems yes but nothing that can’t be overcome.

D

Deleted member 1740

Let me chuck in Grenade.

Well done Scabbyboy using a tragedy to back up a point ?

For the record, Thatcher banned ALL English clubs, NOT the fa or Uefa.

D

Deleted member 1740

I genuinely don't think he referenced the Heysel tragedy as a points scoring excercise ................. I just don't think Tashy's like that.

That's like saying "xxxxxx player isnt like that" after a snide leg breaker. Pre meditated.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I genuinely don't think he referenced the Heysel tragedy as a points scoring excercise ................. I just don't think Tashy's like that.
Let me just chuck in a grenade....

Imo he knew what he was saying. I'm not saying he was accusing the Liverpool fans for causing the tragedy. But he was clearly laying the blame for the ban at their feet.