Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16999

Too young to have experienced the situation but from everything i've seen. It could be argued that worse could have happened as they tragedy was a catalyst for tougher sanction.s
Worse did happen, regardless of bans!

Like a lot of things in life the rich and powerful protect themselves, with hindsight should of Heysel hosted an event of that magnitude? Absolutely not. Did the Authorities take any responsibility? Yes and No, 3 Belgians, (head of their FA and 2 Policeman) were done for their role in what happened and (I think) between 10-15 Lpool fans were charged with manslaughter.

No action or responsibility was ever laid at UEFA’s door.

Did the ban serve it’s purpose? No, hooliganism continued and returned to Europe.

And back to my original comment “worse did happen” the FA chose Hillsborough as a venue for the semi-final 4 years later and as we now know, the police had learnt nothing.

It’s easy to blame Lpool fans for the Euro ban and yes I believe they should shoulder some of the blame for what happened in the Heysel stadium, but all the blame or responsibility? No, definitely not. That has to be shared and accepted by all those that played a role in the events leading to, on and after the event.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

Like a lot of things in life the rich and powerful protect themselves, with hindsight should of Heysel hosted an event of that magnitude? Absolutely not. Did the Authorities take any responsibility? Yes and No, 3 Belgians, (head of their FA and 2 Policeman) were done for their role in what happened and (I think) between 10-15 Lpool fans were charged with manslaughter.

Did the ban serve it’s purpose? No, hooliganism continued and returned to Europe.

And back to my original comment “worse did happen” the FA chose Hillsborough as a venue for the semi-final 4 years later and as we now know, the police had learnt nothing.

It’s easy to blame Lpool fans for the Euro ban and yes I believe they should shoulder some of the blame for what happened in the Heysel stadium, but all the blame or responsibility? No, definitely not. That has to be shared and accepted by all those that played a role in the events leading to, on and after the event.

I simply meant worse in europe.

Re Hillsborough. Without going into it too much as its not something that i can recall either. From what i've seen it didn't strike me as it being as related hooliganism as other events.

D

Deleted member 16999

I simply meant worse in europe.

Re Hillsborough. Without going into it too much as its not something that i can recall either. From what i've seen it didn't strike me as it being as related hooliganism as other events.
Hillsborough wasn’t related to hooliganism, it’s the fact that within 4 years football authorities did not learn about picking inadequate stadia and the police learnt nothing about crowd control.

And finally, how many years did it take to prove the fans innocence?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Hillsborough wasn’t related to hooliganism, it’s the fact that within 4 years football authorities did not learn about picking inadequate stadia and the police learnt nothing about crowd control.

I fully agree the organisations are more than culpable.

My original objection to Tashy's post is that it was imo certainly laced with a dig.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

It was deemed adequate for the many years before the tragedy however.
You're telling me Hillsborough was worse than any other of the top grounds back in the day? They were all dumps, anyway I don't want to go into this again, it still rankles many a Wednesdayite.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I just love how every team is putting their own interests ahead of anything else. Liverpool want the season to end as it is now, Man City want it annulled, teams in the bottom three want no relegation, teams in the top two in the Championship want auto promotion, teams in 3rd-6th want the playoffs to continue. And some are already threatening legal action if they don't get their own way.

The world is going to hell in a handcart and all these sports owners/officials can think about are their own selfish interests. Screw the lot of them!
I think for those reasons you have to finish the season whenever it is eventually possible. There is no satisfactory answer otherwise. As you say, if you put it to the vote each club just votes in their own interests. Liverpool, Leicester, teams outside the relegation will say let the current league table stand. Spurs, Arsenal, teams in the bottom three will say wipe the season and restart it. At least if you finish it everyone is on the same page.

Playing Saturdays and Wednesdays in the summer it would only take 5 weeks to complete the games. Can be done in June or July, whenever it is deemed safe to resume normality. Start the new season at the end of August instead of the beginning.

D

Deleted member 16999

It was deemed adequate for the many years before the tragedy however.
You're telling me Hillsborough was worse than any other of the top grounds back in the day? They were all dumps, anyway I don't want to go into this again, it still rankles many a Wednesdayite.
Who deemed it adequate? Spurs fans had suffered crush injuries years before in a Cup tie and there had been other issues.
I blame the FA for not carrying out due diligence and the police for their part on the day.

The safety certificate for the ground had been issued in 1979 and never updated, even though changes were made between then and 89.

D

Deleted member 1740

Nice to see UEFA using a bit of common sense rescheduling the Euro's, paves the way for domestic european football to be completed.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

And this is the kind of well educated response I expected. So first and foremost thankyou Paul.

Once more, what ever the outcome, will it be fair. and no one has really answered it coz for me the answer is no. Read through Pauls response and ask what happened post the european ban was it fair. No. There was a hell of a lot that happened once the ban was in place and how much of it was Fair. Not a great deal. But that was not the point for some was it, all of a sudden we start talking about one team again and not all of English football. Because that one team.is mentioned the topic degenerates Into name calling and someones bragging. Really.
Whether some folk like it or not. Football and its clubs and there history is not just measured about trophies. It is also about the tragedies and dark side of the game, part of the game we would sooner forget but shouldn't. Why coz we dont wanna go back there.
Stay safe everyone.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
And this is the kind of well educated response I expected. So first and foremost thankyou Paul.

Once more, what ever the outcome, will it be fair. and no one has really answered it coz for me the answer is no. Read through Pauls response and ask what happened post the european ban was it fair. No. There was a hell of a lot that happened once the ban was in place and how much of it was Fair. Not a great deal. But that was not the point for some was it, all of a sudden we start talking about one team again and not all of English football. Because that one team.is mentioned the topic degenerates Into name calling and someones bragging. Really.
Whether some folk like it or not. Football and its clubs and there history is not just measured about trophies. It is also about the tragedies and dark side of the game, part of the game we would sooner forget but shouldn't. Why coz we dont wanna go back there.
Stay safe everyone.

I dont know if your trying to play some clever game here, but lets face it you've never shown much intelligence.

Again, another keyboard warrior slinging mud around to either make one football club look better, or another one look worse.

You pick at the scabs of history, if you want. How apt.

Wolf

Visit site
Just seen Peter Whittingham, formerly of Villa and Cardiffs PL team has died age 35 of head injuries caused by a fall in a pub. That's no age at all

Fish

Banned
Visit site
No english football til 30th April.

Hopefully 6 weeks will be enough for football to resume.

No chance, virus numbers will be at a peak about then, then we’ll need 6wks or more to see stability and cases reducing.

Lockdowns, rioting & looting to come yet!

Pretty sure I heard on the radio at the same time this was released, that, the current season will be finished to completion, whenever that starts and however long it takes.