Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ah I'm glad you could really bring something to the thread .

Enjoy the break in sport .. maybe read up on some interesting topics to save yourself wasting time wading into debates without a clue ?

I'd carry on arguing with you, bot it would bore everyone else then, so I'll leave it there. Point made by me, have a look at how many points youve made in the last 24 hours saying the same stuff.

Right, off to carry on with a good book - "First to fight" by Roger Moorhouse, about the Polish theatre of WWII, very interesting.

Ni-night, petal.(y)

D

Deleted member 16999

The PL can do whatever they want, they hold the aces.

I'm pretty certain UEFA do not want to cancel their flagship event. I'd say the CL is bigger than the UEFA Euro's.
You’d hope the PL could, but I don’t think they actually do, don’t UEFA/FIFA dictate when games can and can’t be played during the season and by who?

It’s not just the CL though, you’ve also got internationals and Stadia booked for other events, ie US Baseball at Spurs place in June, other grounds for Concerts etc. Could get very messy.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I don't think anyone would be saying "just make Liverpool champions" if they weren't 20 odd points ahead or whatever it is. If there was 1 point in it it's whole different story. For Villa say to go down by a point and having a game in hand would be unbelievable harsh, when compared to saying City don't win the league this year when they could have mathematically made up a 20 points deficit.
Hard to disagree with that,& Liverpool definitely deserve it one way or the other.
But if the season doesn’t finish & no one is relegated then obviously Leeds don’t go up & get the biggest payday in football

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hard to disagree with that,& Liverpool definitely deserve it one way or the other.
But if the season doesn’t finish & no one is relegated then obviously Leeds don’t go up & get the biggest payday in football
Yeah, I still think they'll find a way to finish this season, even if it's much later in the year and delays the start of the following season. There are just too many stumbling blocks and pitfalls to ending it without finishing.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Could go in a couple of threads, but fair play to Brighton.
They’re gonna pay all casual staff projected wages irrespective of games going ahead or not.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I think those that are talking about reconvening at the end of April are kidding themselves, this disease for us here is in its infancy and will only spread more in the coming weeks creating more and longer periods from attending sporting events and those actual events across the board being temporary suspended or even cancelled!

As a country we are possibly the least effected currently in Europe, but that was the same situation for those that are in complete lock down now some weeks ago, so, making assumptions of ‘end of April’ to reconvene is suggesting we’ll be in a better position by then, but personally I think we’ll be worse, and as the weather warms up I believe this disease has the ability to spread even more easily!

So, until numbers stabilize or start reducing there can be no target to reconvene as the numbers are currently growing, but end of April is very ambitious imo.

Personally I think the end of this season is finished, it won’t reconvene, even behind closed doors, I think it will be completed when the new season would normally start, late August or even September with that forthcoming 20/21 season being radically adjusted to get back on track for 21/22.

Will it be ideal, no, will it suit everyone, no, is it the fairest way to play it out, yes.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Players who are self isolating wont be fit for the start of April even if by some miracle the disease disappeared.

Long way off as the cases continue to rise.

D

Deleted member 23270

Compensation? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Premier leagues gets about £3billion a season from TV here and overseas, if the league doesn't finish I don't think the TV boys will be paying up.
Could be some serious financial issues ahead, particularly for the small clubs further down the money tree.
Could be a load of flash cars getting sold off cheaply ?

D

Deleted member 1740

Bearing in mind European football is being interrupted to allow for Qatar 2022, wouldnt this be the perfect time to adjust the next 2 seasons to run Jan to October?

That would give the FA/UEFA enough time to finish all league and cup games.

This isnt just about the PL, theres bigger concerns in the lower leagues.

D

Deleted member 16999

Bearing in mind European football is being interrupted to allow for Qatar 2022, wouldnt this be the perfect time to adjust the next 2 seasons to run Jan to October?

That would give the FA/UEFA enough time to finish all league and cup games.

This isnt just about the PL, theres bigger concerns in the lower leagues.
I know Pete said some of the “ideas/proposals” I listed were farcical, :geek:

But like you say this isn’t just about the PL and any knock on effects could interfere with World Football, one simple one is the Womens Euro’s are meant to be held in 2021 in England so that could cause problems for grounds etc, but maybe this does give us the chance to be a bit radical and think outside the box reference scheduling/seasons/comps etc.

Like you say a 2-3 year period of adjustment.(y)

4LEX

Visit site
As a country we are possibly the least effected currently in Europe, but that was the same situation for those that are in complete lock down now some weeks ago, so, making assumptions of ‘end of April’ to reconvene is suggesting we’ll be in a better position by then, but personally I think we’ll be worse, and as the weather warms up I believe this disease has the ability to spread even more easily!

That's not quite true. Heat over 25 degrees will help kill it quicker from surfaces and less people with seasonal colds will also reduce the threat of passing it on.

However I agree theres no way any football will be played in April. This will peak in April/May so theres no chance of the season being played out unless over the summer. Theres only two realistic options;

Euro 2020 is postponed and each domestic league plus European comps are played over the summer with empty stadiums. That would be utterly pointless and cause chaos for next season.

Or the by far the most sensible is you simply null and void the season and all cups. It would benefit some teams who struggling and punish those at the top but this is a once in a lifetime crisis. Football is small fry in comparison. You could possibly work out some sort of handicap for the start of next season to make it fairer.

I feel sorry for Liverpool in all of this. They've gone from being on the cusp of the greatest season in history, to losing the Invincible chance, getting knocked out of both cups and the joy from a well deserved title taken away. Whatever happens no one will remember this season for anything other than the Cornavirus situation.

4LEX

Visit site
But like you say this isn’t just about the PL and any knock on effects could interfere with World Football, one simple one is the Womens Euro’s are meant to be held in 2021 in England so that could cause problems for grounds etc, but maybe this does give us the chance to be a bit radical and think outside the box reference scheduling/seasons/comps etc.

I think most non league grounds could cope with the Womens Euro's to be fair.

D

Deleted member 16999

I think most non league grounds could cope with the Womens Euro's to be fair.
Except Old Trafford already chosen for opener and Wembley sold out 90,000 for England match v Germany in November.

I agree some matches could be played at some smaller grounds, but preparations are already in place including dates, Hotels and training facilities booked for the Teams to use.

4LEX

Visit site
Except Old Trafford already chosen for opener and Wembley sold out 90,000 for England match v Germany in November.

I agree some matches could be played at some smaller grounds, but preparations are already in place including dates, Hotels and training facilities booked for the Teams to use.

To be fair that was only because most of those tickets were freebies as a PR stunt. The average in the WPL is 3,500.

Euro 2020 is only using Wembley 5 times in the whole tournament and London has a fair few hotels I believe! Theres more than enough world class training facilities and stadiums to play the Women's tournament no problem (y)

D

Deleted member 16999

To be fair that was only because most of those tickets were freebies as a PR stunt. The average in the WPL is 3,500.

Euro 2020 is only using Wembley 5 times in the whole tournament and London has a fair few hotels I believe! Theres more than enough world class training facilities and stadiums to play the Women's tournament no problem (y)
Here’s the list of venues and as you can see it’s not simply a case of playing them anywhere as the ground has to meet UEFA requirements:
Add in spectators, TV/Media, Emergency services, it’s not that straightforward.

The following stadiums will host matches in the tournament:
Meadow Lane in Nottingham and London Road in Peterborough were initially included on the list of stadiums when the Football Association submitted the bid to host the tournament. These were changed with the City Ground in Nottingham and St Mary's in Southampton due to UEFA requirements.

D

Deleted member 1740

I know Pete said some of the “ideas/proposals” I listed were farcical, :geek:

Like you say a 2-3 year period of adjustment.(y)

To be fair they were ? ??

One of the other issues thats not been mentioned is how much money will be lost (mainly by us punters) in the gambling industry. I'd guess there be upwards of £200m lost if all pro football is cancelled null and void.

I didnt realise West Ham arent allowed to play football at their rented home after a certain date in may due to other commitments theyve got concerts etc.