Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Be absolutely honest.

If you were given the hypothetical option of winning 3 leagues over say 10 years by a Sheik coming in and throwing 1.5 bill at you, building a stadium and the rest.

Or

Doing it the way Arsenal and Wenger did it.

For me and I think most "fair-minded" supporters it would be the latter.
Easy to be fair minded when you have a CL trophy in the cabinet and a PL one about to join it. Also easy when your squad is loaded with top players and your income revenues are coming in nicely.

Most fans couldn't care less and would happily choose option 1. I suspect only fans of Liverpool, Arsenal and possibly Man Utd would talk about option 2 and use the phrase fair minded as it is really about keeping the status quo.

D

Deleted member 1740

Right or wrong or City way?

£1bn in 30 years is still unfair for those that couldn’t spend that much.;)

Unfair? They've spent what the club has made.

David Moores "loaned" us the dosh to buy Stan Collymore, H&G loaded the club with debt and FSG after their initial purchase of £230m iirc they invested £100m of their own dosh. So in real terms in 30yrs we've had £100m of real investment from owners.

The rest has come from being very prudent commercially, something I would never of said in the 2000's

D

Deleted member 1740

Easy to be fair minded when you have a CL trophy in the cabinet and a PL one about to join it. Also easy when your squad is loaded with top players and your income revenues are coming in nicely.

Most fans couldn't care less and would happily choose option 1. I suspect only fans of Liverpool, Arsenal and possibly Man Utd would talk about option 2 and use the phrase fair minded as it is really about keeping the status quo.

To be fair to LB he's always said he'd prefer the latter option.

My general opinion is I wouldnt be against a rich sheikh or oligarch on the basis to own a successful club you've got to be a billionaire. Millionaires are no good at PL level. I wouldnt forget how we got there.

I've been critical of our owners on this forum over the last 10yrs with their lack of investment in the squad whilst our rivals were paying £50m for CB's LB's and we were making free signings, keeping Lovren, £4m on karius etc.

It looks like I was wrong.

D

Deleted member 1740

I’ll disagree, were in the history books does it mention who was in charge when trophies are won.

Sheik every day of the week for me.

I’ll give you a hyperthetical:
If you won the Euromillions tomorrow would you buy a new car or buy second hand for 3 years so in the 4th year a new car would feel better?

I'd buy an old Sierra and employ a chauffeur ?

D

Deleted member 15344

To be fair to LB he's always said he'd prefer the latter option.

My general opinion is I wouldnt be against a rich sheikh or oligarch on the basis to own a successful club you've got to be a billionaire. Millionaires are no good at PL level. I wouldnt forget how we got there.

I've been critical of our owners on this forum over the last 10yrs with their lack of investment in the squad whilst our rivals were paying £50m for CB's LB's and we were making free signings, keeping Lovren, £4m on karius etc.

Owners made mistakes in the way they did the transfers - ie they didn’t have someone within the football triangle of their committee who could scout a player well - so you weren’t wrong with some of the early stuff - far from it , it was poor at times

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

Were you though? How? That investment has bought you VVD, Allison, Firminho, Salah, Mane. You surely wouldn't be where you are now with lovren, Karius, Sturridge etc. You haven't bought bargain basement, you have spent big.

No complaints from me, you have bought very ,very well, which as many clubs know all too well is both important and difficult

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Were you though? How? That investment has bought you VVD, Allison, Firminho, Salah, Mane. You surely wouldn't be where you are now with lovren, Karius, Sturridge etc. You haven't bought bargain basement, you have spent big.

No complaints from me, you have bought very ,very well, which as many clubs know all too well is both important and difficult

Sturridge was good business imo. Without his injuries he would be pushing Kane all way for best English striker .. he had everything

D

Deleted member 1740

Only the last few seasons we've spent big.

We were buying bargain basement players- Matip, ings, Solanke,Robbo, Shaqiri- while city were buying £50m+ CB’s CM’s & LB’s.

Matip and Robbo have both massively improved more than most would‘ve thought at the time.

D

Deleted member 16999

Unfair? They've spent what the club has made.

David Moores "loaned" us the dosh to buy Stan Collymore, H&G loaded the club with debt and FSG after their initial purchase of £230m iirc they invested £100m of their own dosh. So in real terms in 30yrs we've had £100m of real investment from owners.

The rest has come from being very prudent commercially, something I would never of said in the 2000's
The emoji was meant to show I was joking with the “unfair” comment, but as you’ve answered it.:p

Many LPool fans think it’s wrong for billionaires to come to the PL and spend their money how they like, I also can see and accept in part it smells a bit, so looking at LPool and the history and standing of the Club world wide, it’s unfair to expect a Club the size of Burnley or Soton to be told if you do get a sugar daddy you should plan to get success in 25-30 yrs because you’re not top 6.

The PL isn’t a level playing field to begin with and whether a Club does it the City way or the LPool way should be down to the owners.

Why shouldn’t fans outside the established Clubs dream big?

D

Deleted member 1740

The emoji was meant to show I was joking with the “unfair” comment, but as you’ve answered it.:p

Many LPool fans think it’s wrong for billionaires to come to the PL and spend their money how they like, I also can see and accept in part it smells a bit, so looking at LPool and the history and standing of the Club world wide, it’s unfair to expect a Club the size of Burnley or Soton to be told if you do get a sugar daddy you should plan to get success in 25-30 yrs because you’re not top 6.

The PL isn’t a level playing field to begin with and whether a Club does it the City way or the LPool way should be down to the owners.

Why shouldn’t fans outside the established Clubs dream big?

I dont think it’s just Liverpool fans at all. We got promised the dollars and “snoggy doggy” by H&G when In reality we got Kyriagos and a load of debt placed on us.

Didn’t Villa get a rich Yank too, look where they ended up.

The PL will never be a level playing field.

FFP has put a stop to that.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sturridge was good business imo. Without his injuries he would be pushing Kane all way for best English striker .. he had everything
The problem is you can't mention Sturridge without mentioning his injuries, he is made of glass and has been for a while. He is definitely a 'what could of been' player.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

We were buying bargain basement players- Matip, ings, Solanke,Robbo, Shaqiri- while city were buying £50m+ CB’s CM’s & LB’s.

Matip and Robbo have both massively improved more than most would‘ve thought at the time.
I get your point but you haven't challenged until you did go big. You wouldn't be winning titles with Solanke up front, Shaqiri starting every game, Karius with the gloves. It's the big dogs that have elevated you. That doesn't mean your whole team is expensive, it isn't, and your point, I think, is that those frugal years brought you in some players who have been allowed to come through in a way that would not have happened at a city or Chelsea. That is fair, no question.

D

Deleted member 15344

I get your point but you haven't challenged until you did go big. You wouldn't be winning titles with Solanke up front, Shaqiri starting every game, Karius with the gloves. It's the big dogs that have elevated you. That doesn't mean your whole team is expensive, it isn't, and your point, I think, is that those frugal years brought you in some players who have been allowed to come through in a way that would not have happened at a city or Chelsea. That is fair, no question.

Only really gone “big” on two players - VVD and Alisson , sorry Keita , the others in modern terms werent “big” and even then others thought we were spending too much on them

D

Deleted member 1147

You did well offloading an overvalued asset, and having the funds to then buy well.
Burnley did similarly, but at a lower £.
Your Coutinio to our Keane.

D

Deleted member 1740

You did well offloading an overvalued asset, and having the funds to then buy well.
Burnley did similarly, but at a lower £.
Your Coutinio to our Keane.

Yeah we done well to be fair. All of that money recouped enabled us to reinvest and buy VVD, Allison,Kieta.

D

Deleted member 16999

I dont think it’s just Liverpool fans at all. We got promised the dollars and “snoggy doggy” by H&G when In reality we got Kyriagos and a load of debt placed on us.

Didn’t Villa get a rich Yank too, look where they ended up.

The PL will never be a level playing field.

FFP has put a stop to that.
What’s the excuse for the other 20yrs?:p

D

Deleted member 1740

Spot on, thats the point I was making a few posts back.

D

Deleted member 16999

we just weren’t good enough mentally in the 90’s.
The 90’s only account for 10 of the 30yrs, what about the other 10?;)

In 2013/14 you were top with a few games to go, that wasn’t down to City spending? Mansoor had been the owner for 5yrs then.:unsure: