Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not many can just be thrown straight in after breaking a leg.

Look at the games he has played in the last 18 months and the percentage of clean sheets. I said it at the beginning of last season that he was nearly the equal of VVD on the form he showed then, the last 11 games has seen 10 clean sheets, I think.
VVD is the main reason for Liverpool’s turnaround in defensive performances he’s made the biggest difference in defence as I’ve ever seen by one person.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What has Gomez done in his career or this season or any other season to warrant such recognition.
Has he even scored a goal yet.
How many games has he played in the last 5 seasons.

He is only 22 or 23, and had 2-3 bad injuries.

The criteria was based on the one season of play, not their whole career.

D

Deleted member 15344

Not many can just be thrown straight in after breaking a leg.

Look at the games he has played in the last 18 months and the percentage of clean sheets. I said it at the beginning of last season that he was nearly the equal of VVD on the form he showed then, the last 11 games has seen 10 clean sheets, I think.
Gomez is for me the best English CB - pace , strong in the tackle , good in the air but his reading of the game is second to none - he just needs to get past the injuries which have arrived at unfortunate times - he is learning from VVD as well and has the potential to be better than VVD - as a pair the best in Europe and I think it’s only one goal conceded this season when they pair up

The strength of the two CB’s and GK allow TAA to be able to roam forward. Add in either Fabinho or Henderson sitting in front and it’s no surprise to see them as the best defence in the league - when we add De Bruyne and either Sancho or Werner in the summer it’s going to get even stronger going forward ??

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I'll hold my hands up, early doors @Liverpoolphil made a lot of noise about Gomez, and whilst i accepted he had talent i felt his opinion was massively OTT.

This season, without Gomez Liverpoool kept 2 clean sheets in 15. Since his return they've kept 10/11. For me, that's a pretty clear improvement.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
And typically he's just responded before me!

D

Deleted member 15344

I'll hold my hands up, early doors @Liverpoolphil made a lot of noise about Gomez, and whilst i accepted he had talent i felt his opinion was massively OTT.

This season, without Gomez Liverpoool kept 2 clean sheets in 15. Since his return they've kept 10/11. For me, that's a pretty clear improvement.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
And typically he's just responded before me!

At the time of the discussion your point was valid ( still is ) that he has had a few injuries and when he returned he was still behind both Lovren and Matip so it would have been hard to see how good he is when he wasn’t getting into the team - a couple of those early games also had Adrian in goal who is excellent as a number two but as soon as Alisson was back in along with Gomez then the backline is far superior

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
How can you measure goalkeeping stats? If 10 shots are straight at a keeper he saves them. Does that make him the best in the league? No, they are saves he should make. Surely those sorts of stats have to be taken with a huge amount of caution, they must be the least reliable out there.

No question that allison is the best keeper in the league right now, no dispute there.

to endorse that statement. Two words. Claudio Bravo. ?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Gomez is for me the best English CB - pace , strong in the tackle , good in the air but his reading of the game is second to none - he just needs to get past the injuries which have arrived at unfortunate times - he is learning from VVD as well and has the potential to be better than VVD - as a pair the best in Europe and I think it’s only one goal conceded this season when they pair up

The strength of the two CB’s and GK allow TAA to be able to roam forward. Add in either Fabinho or Henderson sitting in front and it’s no surprise to see them as the best defence in the league - when we add De Bruyne and either Sancho or Werner in the summer it’s going to get even stronger going forward ??
Do you think Pep will sell us KDB
I hope so what a player.

D

Deleted member 16999

Potentially you maybe correct, I don’t believe him returning to your side is the reason solely for the clean sheets.
I don’t think you’d of had any less points had Lovren or Matip been in his place.

You could say he’s been lucky to get his place back due to others getting injured.

From an England point of view I hope you’re correct and he stays injury free.

PS. You can’t give credit to both Becker and Gomez for the clean sheets.;)

D

Deleted member 1740

I don’t need stats to influence my judgement of how good a footballer is, but Joe Gomez is superb and deserves all the plaudits he gets.

You might not see it from the comfort of your armchair wearing Anti LiVARpool goggles, though that must be the reason you lot need stats to judge him ?

D

Deleted member 16999

A lot of what you say is correct, but its like the Des walker analogy I've mentioned in the past (a bit like Wan Bissaka now). If a defender is doing last ditch sliding tackles 3-4 times a game, as well as game after game is it because he is out of position too much?

It's a bit like Alison, he hardly seems to make unbelievable saves, but is it because he does the basics right? He hardly ever has to throw himself into the top corner. His decision making on when to come out of his box, come for crosses etc is also the best Ive seen.

I think some people are missing the point, as well - its not to say who was the best player out of the two teams in their eras, but based on what they did in 1999 (only) and this 12 months for us, who would you pick.

So picking Giggs is, well sad really. 4 goals and 2 assists, i think Carragher quoted for that season. Mane already has about 20 goals, never mind the assists. Now before anyone says it, yes, Mane is a wide forward, whereas Giggs was a winger, but in a midfield that had Scholes, Beckham and Keane, he was given for licence to go forward.
Bit of fun Pete, don’t disagree with any of the above and we know the danger of stats.
You can’t look at any player historically and cut out 90-99% of your knowledge on them, just impossible.

D

Deleted member 1740

Potentially you maybe correct, I don’t believe him returning to your side is the reason solely for the clean sheets.
I don’t think you’d of had any less points had Lovren or Matip been in his place.

You could say he’s been lucky to get his place back due to others getting injured.

From an England point of view I hope you’re correct and he stays injury free.

PS. You can’t give credit to both Becker and Gomez for the clean sheets.;)

He’s a massive part though. Keeping clean sheets is a team thing, not even VVD is the sole reason.

I do. ?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Do you think Pep will sell us KDB
I hope so what a player.

was listening to a piece the other day about which players could be player of the season. Mane, Henderson and VVD were mentioned.KDB has been outstanding for City. Wonder how it will pan out end of the season ?

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don’t need stats to influence my judgement of how good a footballer is, but Joe Gomez is superb and deserves all the plaudits he gets.

You might not see it from the comfort of your armchair wearing Anti LiVARpool goggles, though that must be the reason you lot need stats to judge him ?
Pete came up with the stats:)

D

Deleted member 15344

Peter Crouch is really good as a pundit

Interesting to see that when picking Liverpool’s most important player Ferdinand picks Henderson ( couldn’t pick VVD ) - it’s great to see him getting the recognition he deserves. This is a going to be a tough game tonight Atletico are no mugs and a lot of quality in the team - with no La Liga on Sky it will be interesting to see how much Saul Niguez has developed and how Lemar is

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
was listening to a piece the other day about which players could be player of the season. Mane, Henderson and VVD were mentioned.KDB has been outstanding for City. Wonder how it will pan out end of the season ?
I love watching him he makes it look so easy.
Imagine him in Liverpool’s midfield. The balls he plays are on another level .
Plus we need someone for cynical fouling.:eek:
But what’s he worth.?