Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

But nobody claimed Peter or Big Nev were the world’s best after just 3/4’s of one season either! :p:p

Can a player not improve over a period ? The Roma game was about 23 months ago now - Alisson has been in the Prem for coming up to two season - believe he is breaking clean sheet records as he goes along - I believe in the league it’s 1 goal let in over the last 13 games maybe ?

6 goals all season in 18 games - 10 clean sheets , overall 31 in 56 games

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can a player not improve over a period ? The Roma game was about 23 months ago now - Alisson has been in the Prem for coming up to two season - believe he is breaking clean sheet records as he goes along - I believe in the league it’s 1 goal let in over the last 13 games maybe ?

It’s hard to fathom how Alison is so good when you also claim to have the best defence also.
Surely with the best defence the keepers got less to do.

D

Deleted member 16999

Banter Phil, chill out, not sure how many times we can give credit to him or to LPool or use emoji’s for fun. :)

Last season he made a couple of clangers and got stick off Lpool fans.

Stats are useless, did you know Pickford was second to him in clean sheets during 2019, and we are acutely aware of what you think of Pickford, despite Pickford being 2 years younger, does he have no chance of improving over a period.(y)

D

Deleted member 15344

Banter Phil, chill out, not sure how many times we can give credit to him or to LPool or use emoji’s for fun. :)

Last season he made a couple of clangers and got stick off Lpool fans.

Stats are useless, did you know Pickford was second to him in clean sheets during 2019, and we are acutely aware of what you think of Pickford, despite Pickford being 2 years younger, does he have no chance of improving over a period.(y)
Thought banter had to be funny ??

Of course if Pickford does improve and the mistakes reduce to the point it’s not costing the team points then he will be given the credit - right now he just like the other keeper Sunderland sold

Was he really second ? Ahead of Ederson ? Or are just going by calender year ?

6 in 26 this season and behind a few others last season

D

Deleted member 16999

Thought banter had to be funny ??

Of course if Pickford does improve and the mistakes reduce to the point it’s not costing the team points then he will be given the credit - right now he just like the other keeper Sunderland sold

Was he really second ? Ahead of Ederson ? Or are just going by calender year ?

6 in 26 this season and behind a few others last season
Calendar year, came out when they gave all them other meaningless calendar stats about yous.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It’s hard to fathom how Alison is so good when you also claim to have the best defence also.
Surely with the best defence the keepers got less to do.
This is a month old now but it does show at the time he had the best save percentage:

As a sidenote it's also a very strong indication that Dean Henderson should be England's number 1. :LOL:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Its just an opinion but no we wouldn’t - we wouldn’t have won the CL last year that’s for sure , with Alisson’s performance against Napoli
This is spot on .
The test of a good keeper is if he has nothing to do all game then one vital save wins you the game.
Alisson has done this many times this season and is partly why we are where we are.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is a month old now but it does show at the time he had the best save percentage:

As a sidenote it's also a very strong indication that Dean Henderson should be England's number 1. :LOL:
Oh, I found where they got this from and produced an updated version.

GK Save Percentage.PNG

That's pretty ridiculous.

P.S. it excludes anyone who's played less than half of their teams minutes I think. If I untick the button to do that Lloris appears at 3rd in the list, which is higher than I expected.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Probably said this already but that's an utter farce that Barca were granted an emergency signing. Oh the hardship of having to cope with only Messi and Griezmann up front. :rolleyes: Really?

As for us, we're royally f****d. Mourinho keeps saying Troy Parrott isn't ready for the first team but I don't see that he has any choice here. At the very least for the bench.
My thoughts exactly, but for me what is wrong is this. Barca can play said loanee against Getafe instead of Messi saving messi for a champs league game. Hows that right. ?

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site

View attachment 29219

P.S. it excludes anyone who's played less than half of their teams minutes I think. If I untick the button to do that Lloris appears at 3rd in the list, which is higher than I expected.
Perhaps there defence is not as good as it seems

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Perhaps there defence is not as good as it seems
I think the defence probably influences the quality of the chances the keeper faces though. Hard to quantify, but with Van Dijk blocking your path you're maybe shooting from further out.

Quite funny that Leno has faced the second most shots after Dubravka. That says it all about where Arsenal are at the minute.

D

Deleted member 16999

View attachment 29219

Unfortunately International Managers tend to go with favourites or established players rather than those on form.
Dean Henderson certainly deserves a chance.

D

Deleted member 15344

View attachment 29219

Looking at most stats Alisson comes out on top when compared to any keeper in the league and I really don’t see any other keeper in Europe/World better than him right now - certainly no one else would swap him for

And Henderson has been talked by a lot of people and stats wise again he is outperforming DDG and it’s prob time in summer for him to be club and country number 1 or at least given a chance.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The outfield players to me is a good (pointless;) but fun) debate.

The one I have the biggest issue with is the Keepers, I know Pete and Stu have stated how good Becker is, but I just haven’t seen it (from my armchair) yet.

I do believe this could be because of how outstanding the LPool defence has been, I can recall mentally plenty of Schmeichel saves, game changers etc, I genuinely can’t think of one Becker save or a game were he’s made the difference.

I’m not saying he isn’t one of the best or won’t end up being one of the greatest ever, but currently I’d still have him behind DDG and Neuer in Europe.

A lot of what you say is correct, but its like the Des walker analogy I've mentioned in the past (a bit like Wan Bissaka now). If a defender is doing last ditch sliding tackles 3-4 times a game, as well as game after game is it because he is out of position too much?

It's a bit like Alison, he hardly seems to make unbelievable saves, but is it because he does the basics right? He hardly ever has to throw himself into the top corner. His decision making on when to come out of his box, come for crosses etc is also the best Ive seen.

I think some people are missing the point, as well - its not to say who was the best player out of the two teams in their eras, but based on what they did in 1999 (only) and this 12 months for us, who would you pick.

So picking Giggs is, well sad really. 4 goals and 2 assists, i think Carragher quoted for that season. Mane already has about 20 goals, never mind the assists. Now before anyone says it, yes, Mane is a wide forward, whereas Giggs was a winger, but in a midfield that had Scholes, Beckham and Keane, he was given for licence to go forward.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
How can you measure goalkeeping stats? If 10 shots are straight at a keeper he saves them. Does that make him the best in the league? No, they are saves he should make. Surely those sorts of stats have to be taken with a huge amount of caution, they must be the least reliable out there.

No question that allison is the best keeper in the league right now, no dispute there.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I did
It wasn’t long ago Gomez was out injured.
Then he had to wait for his place and has only just started playing regular.
So quite hard to judge over 12 months

Not many can just be thrown straight in after breaking a leg.

Look at the games he has played in the last 18 months and the percentage of clean sheets. I said it at the beginning of last season that he was nearly the equal of VVD on the form he showed then, the last 11 games has seen 10 clean sheets, I think.