Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
For me it’s a judgment of the teams overall and the 1999 teams walks all over this Liverpool team at this stage. TAA is a fantastic player and is incredibly dynamic but ahead of the best RB in the Premier League era? Behave. Allison ahead of one of the best goalkeepers of all time? Behave. Not including Giggs? Behave!

That team would absolutely be dominated by Man Utd players and for damn good reason. Don’t be so short term and don’t judge them because they might look more stylish. Judge players against their era and with this Liverpool team still very much in its infancy (albeit with absolutely amazing potential) they would have much fewer players in a combined XI.

D

Deleted member 16999

For me it’s a judgment of the teams overall and the 1999 teams walks all over this Liverpool team at this stage. TAA is a fantastic player and is incredibly dynamic but ahead of the best RB in the Premier League era? Behave. Allison ahead of one of the best goalkeepers of all time? Behave. Not including Giggs? Behave!

That team would absolutely be dominated by Man Utd players and for damn good reason. Don’t be so short term and don’t judge them because they might look more stylish. Judge players against their era and with this Liverpool team still very much in its infancy (albeit with absolutely amazing potential) they would have much fewer players in a combined XI.
You’re falling in to the same trap though, Schmeichel (without doubt one of the best ever) was playing his last season at Utd in 99 and it could be argued he was on his way down from his peak.
The reason 99% of us would have a combined team dominated by Man Utd players is that we are blinded by their record and careers.

D

Deleted member 15344

Let’s be honest it’s always going to be a bit biased

Also the way the teams played in 99 will not doubt be different to the teams playjng now - the game has moved on

It’s like the Liverpool team of 87-88 was the best league team I have ever seen , better than UTD 99 and Arsenal 04 - but then I think the current Liverpool side is close to that 88 side - I can’t see a weakness

With my bias view

The team I would go for would be

Alisson

Neville
Stam
VVD
Robbo

Keane
Fabinho
Scholes

Mane
Firmino
Salah

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
You’re falling in to the same trap though, Schmeichel (without doubt one of the best ever) was playing his last season at Utd in 99 and it could be argued he was on his way down from his peak.
The reason 99% of us would have a combined team dominated by Man Utd players is that we are blinded by their record and careers.
That’s not blinded - that’s being informed.

TAA being attacking and good on the ball doesn’t make him better - it’s what the game demands now.

Allison being flashy and good on the ground doesn’t make him better - it’s what the game demands now.

The attacking flare of the front three isn’t better than our old fashioned wingers and two strikers approach - it’s what the game demands now.

The spine of that Man Utd team had been consistent for many years and continued to be whereas Liverpool are at the start of what could be a stellar success. For me, to even suggest we should compare these teams as being on the same level is laughable.

At the same time I can’t emphasis enough just how hard it is to compare the teams even if they were on a same level of success over a period of time; the more modern team would nearly always win because of the increased technicality and fitness.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
It’s a pointless debate comparing the current Liverpool team who have basically been great for 2 years with a team that was great over many years.
Comparing Giggs to Mane is ridiculous for the same reason.
One thing I would say that if some of the Liverpool players are still producing over 10 years at this level it would seriously reduce the number of Utd players in my all time team.
I suppose Sky do these debates to get the public talking and to keep the interest high in football.

I'll pick two teams,
Schmeichel
Neville Stam VVD Robertson
Beckham Keane Scholes Giiggs
Yorke Salah

Allison
Taa Stam VVD Robertson
Keane Henderson Scholes
Mane York Salah

I also think that just because they had years of (domestic dominance), it doesn't make them a better team. More legendary yes, but not better.
I'd take Liverpool to win 6/4 if they played 10 times.

D

Deleted member 16999

TAA being attacking and good on the ball doesn’t make him better - it’s what the game demands now.

Allison being flashy and good on the ground doesn’t make him better - it’s what the game demands now.

The attacking flare of the front three isn’t better than our old fashioned wingers and two strikers approach - it’s what the game demands now.

The spine of that Man Utd team had been consistent for many years and continued to be whereas Liverpool are at the start of what could be a stellar success. For me, to even suggest we should compare these teams as being on the same level is laughable.

At the same time I can’t emphasis enough just how hard it is to compare the teams even if they were on a same level of success over a period of time; the more modern team would nearly always win because of the increased technicality and fitness.
Which is why it’s not only laughable but pointless, you’re pov is based on years of evidence v 1 year.
There’ll never be a correct answer.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'll pick two teams,
Schmeichel
Neville Stam VVD Robertson
Beckham Keane Scholes Giiggs
Yorke Salah

Allison
Taa Stam VVD Robertson
Keane Henderson Scholes
Mane York Salah

I also think that just because they had years of (domestic dominance), it doesn't make them a better team. More legendary yes, but not better.
I'd take Liverpool to win 6/4 if they played 10 times.
You had my interest until you put in Henderson he is without doubt my worst Liverpool player ever.

D

Deleted member 16999

The outfield players to me is a good (pointless;) but fun) debate.

The one I have the biggest issue with is the Keepers, I know Pete and Stu have stated how good Becker is, but I just haven’t seen it (from my armchair) yet.

I do believe this could be because of how outstanding the LPool defence has been, I can recall mentally plenty of Schmeichel saves, game changers etc, I genuinely can’t think of one Becker save or a game were he’s made the difference.

I’m not saying he isn’t one of the best or won’t end up being one of the greatest ever, but currently I’d still have him behind DDG and Neuer in Europe.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
The outfield players to me is a good (pointless;) but fun) debate.

The one I have the biggest issue with is the Keepers, I know Pete and Stu have stated how good Becker is, but I just haven’t seen it (from my armchair) yet.

I do believe this could be because of how outstanding the LPool defence has been, I can recall mentally plenty of Schmeichel saves, game changers etc, I genuinely can’t think of one Becker save or a game were he’s made the difference.

I’m not saying he isn’t one of the best or won’t end up being one of the greatest ever, but currently I’d still have him behind DDG and Neuer in Europe.
Neuer is done. He makes a lot of mistakes now. Bayern have already moved to get his replacement.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Great comments. Neville playing nowadays would be deemed quite poor going forwards. Trent playing in 1999 wouldn't get a near a back four with his defending, he'd probably be deemed a right midfield player. The game is different and you do have to take that into account when comparing players of different eras. Allison is a top drawer keeper, but Schmeichel was the best in the world in his day - even though he didn't play many one-twos with his centre backs.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Keane admitted he was biased/loyal to his ex-players but thought he went too far.

The thing is, a lot of them were or became legends of the game, and you can look back and assess them over their whole career, whilst the likes of some of ours are still young or in the middle of their careers.

If you took it on our guys over the last 12 months and the United team over their 12 months, the likes of Alison, Gomez and Trent may/would probably get in for me. Gomez and clean sheet stats are amazing.

Carragher made a good point over Giggs - only 4 goals, 2 assists that season and Keane had him in over Mane!!!!!:eek:

I think Keane, Scholes, Beckham (as a 3) and either or Yorke/cole as the CF are deffoes.

Stam/Gomez - you would side with stam over the career he had, same with Schmeichel/Alison, Robertson/Irwin the same - but in 10 years time you may say the others - who knows.

Mane, Salah, VVD and Trent would be deffoes for me on our side.
VVD has made all Liverpool’s defenders stats look better.
Even comparing Stam/Gomez is delusional they are not on the same planet regarding performances or careers

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Great comments. Neville playing nowadays would be deemed quite poor going forwards. Trent playing in 1999 wouldn't get a near a back four with his defending, he'd probably be deemed a right midfield player. The game is different and you do have to take that into account when comparing players of different eras. Allison is a top drawer keeper, but Schmeichel was the best in the world in his day - even though he didn't play many one-twos with his centre backs.

If it wasn't for the fact its Beckham at right midfield, i'd have him in there in the combined team tbf

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Spot on

D

Deleted member 15344

Allison is the best GK in the world right now - just ahead of Oblak , he isn’t just great with his distribution , he is everything you want from a GK - makes key saves at the right time , sweeps well , strong hands - no one in the current game better imo
The game has changed though and it’s hard to look past bias

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I see Son is out for the season, looks like Kane is, so why can spurs not look for an emergency striker like Barca are.