Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well VAR was supposed to stop the issues and ensure that the talk isn’t about poor refs but it will be after that

Maguire should have been sent off - that would have changed the game massively and he then went on and scored

The first disallowed goal - If it’s against you then you are going to applaud the decision but if you get the goal chalked off then you will feel hard done by when you see that Fred clearly pushes the player first regards of how many hands he had up - in open play that’s a foul , so it should have been a penalty imo

Second one - it’s going to be disallowed with the way they do offsides this season

UTD certainly played a lot better second half

all bunched up now - the team that goes on a little run will grab the spot but none of them have managed that this season so far
Second one, the way they do offsides this season? As in he was offside so they called offside ?‍♂️ ?

D

Deleted member 15344

It was only Bruno's second game for us, give him a chance. ;)

? Did he play ? Saw a free kick and then when he threw himself to the floor claiming he was hit in the face - great work for the £50-60mil paid ?

D

Deleted member 16999

Brilliant from Maguire, “I thought he was going to fall on me so I straightened my leg, I had no intent to hurt him”

Batshusyi was stood up.
VAR must be able to decide intent now then. :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 15344

You should have watched all of the game, maybe you'd then understand.
I did - you paid a lot of money for someone who isn’t standing out as yet and I don’t really expect him too - i guess we will see over the next couple of months.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Very good insight from a United fan.

What City did didn't just effect what they did, it also affects the rivals, as per:-

When the Abu Dhabi money first came in…
Since Friday’s announcement, I have heard numerous City fans complaining about the very principle of FFP, and how it exists solely to preserve a cabal of elite clubs at the top. Whilst FFP may be flawed, there is something that needs to be pointed out to City fans and the wider club, something that has been lost in the annals of time.

When the Abu Dhabi money first came in, one of the first things City did was to make moves for the star players of their rivals, namely John Terry at Chelsea and Wayne Rooney at Manchester United, tapping up their respective agents and writing an awful lot of zeros on a napkin (or however these things actually work). This left Chelsea and United in a predicament; either sell your prized asset to this newly minted rival or renew a contract you otherwise wouldn’t at a massively inflated figure (both chose option 2, giving out the highest contract ever awarded by the club at that time). From City’s point of view, it was win-win. You either get a great player, improving your team and weakening a rival, or you negatively impact their finances, and skew their wage budgets massively upwards with all the subsequent knock-on consequences that brings. They did the same to Arsenal, though in that case the club were more willing sellers owing to their stadium debt and were happy to take the fees offered for the likes of Toure and Adebayor.

The point is, right from the get-go, City were happy to weaponise their money; to use it as a stick to beat their rivals with rather than merely one to enhance themselves (which to an extent is where they differed from Abramovich’s approach). Football is a business, and not a particularly fair one, but is also still a sport, and in a sport you need competition. The way City wanted to use their money before FFP would have meant, even more so than it already does, whomever has the deepest pockets wins. FFP may be flawed, but it’s better than the alternative path that City clearly demonstrated they were going to gladly walk down.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16999

Really enjoyed watching the MNF last 15 minutes with Keane & Carragher, good fun.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
They did.

"The explanation from Stockley Park is that, in VAR Chris Kavanagh's view, the contact between Fred and Azpilicueta was normal, but Azpilicueta’s push on Williams was different as he put two hands on Williams' back and pushed him, which affected the defender's ability to clear the ball".

Case closed. (y)
That was the way I saw it at the time to be honest. Contact on Azpilicueta was minimal, but then he went for the full two-handed shove on the other chap who would have been heading it clear otherwise. I thought that was the correct decision.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
The one thing I really dont get is the overwhelming 'neutral' commentary on this game has been from Liverpool fans??

Neither of these clubs are anywhere near you, and you actively dislike both of them! Why the effing jeffing would you care?

D

Deleted member 1740

The one thing I really dont get is the overwhelming 'neutral' commentary on this game has been from Liverpool fans??

Neither of these clubs are anywhere near you, and you actively dislike both of them! Why the effing jeffing would you care?

It's a general football thread, are you suggesting because we're not playing, we're not allowed to discuss the game of the day?