Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18121

Maguire maybe a bit fortunate there ................... I think.
Absolutely, again I wonder what the hell VAR does.... 1mm offside.... Yep all good we'll get involved, yet an incident like that- nothing.

D

Deleted member 15344

Taylor is awful - how that wasn’t a red card for Maguire I don’t know , and then that’s never a dive from Willian -he was caught

Chelsea playing the better football but lacking any clinical edge - UTD look very disjointed but the one moment of quality gives them the lead

After seeing Spurs , Arsenal , UTD and Chelsea over the past couple of days you would prob look at Spurs being the team that could go on and grab 4th - Arsenal maybe too far behind and Chelsea and Utd just look short on real quality to give them that a step ahead of the others

Wolves could be the outsider along with Sheff Utd

D

Deleted member 16999

Taylor is awful - how that wasn’t a red card for Maguire I don’t know , and then that’s never a dive from Willian -he was caught

Chelsea playing the better football but lacking any clinical edge - UTD look very disjointed but the one moment of quality gives them the lead

After seeing Spurs , Arsenal , UTD and Chelsea over the past couple of days you would prob look at Spurs being the team that could go on and grab 4th - Arsenal maybe too far behind and Chelsea and Utd just look short on real quality to give them that a step ahead of the others

Wolves could be the outsider along with Sheff Utd
No chance for Everton then Phil? 2nd only to yous in points won since Ancelotti has took over.:unsure:

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My understanding was that it was initally for this reason. As you say though, it has not worked and it largely protects the existing top team cartels. Only the ones that are seriously mismanaged on the pitch, AC Milan and potentially Utd, leave this group. Otherwise FFP prevents others from entering. The only ones who seem to really demand it, clubs and fans, are those in the cartel. The rest of us don't care and quite enjoy it when a new boy comes along and upsets the apple cart, whoever they may be.

Yep, but as said again, if you supported a team (lets say Arsenal) who were denied many more league championships due to sugar daddy clubs, would you be as accepting about it. I very much doubt it.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Yep, but as said again, if you supported a team (lets say Arsenal) who were denied many more league championships due to sugar daddy clubs, would you be as accepting about it. I very much doubt it.
Tbf Pete, until fergie left Utd.
There was only one season that a money club actually finished 1st above anyone but Utd.
Imagine they hadn’t come along.
utd would likely be closer to 30 league titles.

Your point is valid, depending on how your team is affected will determine your thoughts on sugar daddies. Top 4 traditionals tend to not like em and most, not all try and take moral high ground on it not being the right way.....

The rest of us actually appreciate a more even competitive league.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I can totally see where you're coming from here Phil, but let's face it football has always been about who has the biggest purse. I cannot remember the last time a team was consistently winning league titles and domestic cups with a majority of players who had come through the youth system ore reserves. City and Chelsea have taken it to the extreme, but in actual fact are they any different to the great Liverpool teams of the late 70s to mid 80s; or the great Man Utd teams under Ferguson purchasing great British or Foreign players? Yes the sums of money spent on these players are vastly different, but the principle is exactly the same - buy the best you believe will strengthen your team.

When Liverpool and United were dominating English football everyone wanted to play for them when the managers/Chairmen came calling. All the top players want to play for the clubs that are successful. Some signings worked out; some didn't. What happened to those that didn't? They were sold on; and replacements brought in that - again - were paid for.

I was a ball-boy at Stamford Bridge the day Liverpool clinched the title in the 85/86 season and the Liverpool team that day I believe did not contain one player that came through the youth team. So all were purchased. Therefore we could argue that Liverpool side was in fact worse than the Chelsea side of 04/05 under Mourinho as we had JT in the side who had come through the youth ranks!! ;):D

But I agree with you in that there should be a balance between the two. And there won't ever be a salary cap in English football as the clubs and owners are now too powerful. If the PL went to all the clubs and said "salary cap" then the owners will just turn round and say "No thanks. European Super League. See you later". Jimmy Hill's lasting legacy to the game!!

I've replied to this type of post before, and sorry but there is a big difference to what City and Chelsea did, slightly compared to United and more so Liverpool in the 70's and 80's.

United had a great youth set up for a decade of it, so was why they could buy top class players like Van nistelrooy. If they have 6 academy players in the tam, they can pay mega bucks for the other 5, extend that to the squad, as well.

Liverpool did the same, although not as much through the academy, but more buying lower league players from Scunthorpe (Keegan, Clemence, Neal), Motherwell, Ayr United (Nicol), Partick Thistle (Hansen), and many many more. Yes we also bought a Dalglish and Souness (from the Keegan money), a Barnes, Beardsley, Aldridge (from the Rush money) and also many other mid-ranking signings.

Liverpool and United did make many big signings, I dont doubt it, but they had lots of mid-ranking and very cheap signings (or academy graduates as well). The examples between City/Chelsea and Liverpool/United arent even close. Nowadays United are spending stupid money on crap, but in their heyday, not on the same level.

Just look at City's spending on centre halves and full backs in the last 5 years, Mangala, Savic, Stones, Otamendi, Laporte, Walker, Mendy and probably another 4-5 who have all cost 30-50 million.

BTW I would have been standing behind you in the away end in 1986, didnt know the ballboys were 20 years old?:p

We didnt have many English, but we had many British - hansen, Lawrenson, Whelan, Rush, Dalglish, Souness, Nicol, Beglin, Lee, Neal, Kennedy,........

D

Deleted member 15344

Well what to make of that - Fred pushes Azpeculetia who then in turn pushes the Utd player do they disallow the goal- so why punish one push but not the other ?

And then Zouma is booked for making a clean tackle ?!?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Anyone know what Greenwood has done to Ole’s daughter/wife/sister?

heralded as a superstar and looks decent when on, yet doesn’t get a look in behind James, who’s been on dead legs for 3 months.