Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I've watched it again and it was directly from the corner.

If I've got it right (and bearing in mind the sources of the information are Robbie savage & Peter Walton, so it's a stretch :LOL:) the corner taker was in an offside position when he took it, relative to the other players on the pitch (I know, it doesn't matter at this point, stay with me ;)). He takes the corner short and moves away from the goal line down the wing channel, back towards an onside position. The player he played the corner to (who can't be offside direct from the corner (y)) plays a return pass to the corner taker who is returning to an onside position. However, at the point the ball was played, one of the boots of the corner taker (yes, really :rolleyes:) was still offside, as proved by the VAR slide rule, hence at the point that ball was played the corner taker, not the corner receiver, was offside. (n) It had absolutely no influence on the goal whatsoever. :mad:

For the avoidance of doubt, this is not a defence of the crock of :poop: that VAR has proved to be, merely an explanation of the offence as I understand it. I was in favour of it as I hoped that it would be a step towards driving the diving cheats out of the game. Instead, Deulofeu, Son & others continue to ply their odious trade whilst VAR mercilessly hunts down stray toenails that are millimetres offside, ruining the enjoyment of fans everywhere. It is nothing less than an absolute farce and it needs sorting.

In defence of Robbie Savage (yes, you did read that correctly :ROFLMAO:), he was slating VAR as far as the neutrality of his position as a pundit allows.

In defence of Peter Walton... nah, there is no defence for that muppet. :mad::mad:

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
If I've got it right (and bearing in mind the sources of the information are Robbie savage & Peter Walton, so it's a stretch :LOL:) the corner taker was in an offside position when he took it, relative to the other players on the pitch (I know, it doesn't matter at this point, stay with me ;)). He takes the corner short and moves away from the goal line down the wing channel, back towards an onside position. The player he played the corner to (who can't be offside direct from the corner (y)) plays a return pass to the corner taker who is returning to an onside position. However, at the point the ball was played, one of the boots of the corner taker (yes, really :rolleyes:) was still offside, as proved by the VAR slide rule, hence at the point that ball was played the corner taker, not the corner receiver, was offside. (n) It had absolutely no influence on the goal whatsoever. :mad:

For the avoidance of doubt, this is not a defence of the crock of :poop: that VAR has proved to be, merely an explanation of the offence as I understand it. I was in favour of it as I hoped that it would be a step towards driving the diving cheats out of the game. Instead, Deulofeu, Son & others continue to ply their odious trade whilst VAR mercilessly hunts down stray toenails that are millimetres offside, ruining the enjoyment of fans everywhere. It is nothing less than an absolute farce and it needs sorting.

In defence of Robbie Savage (yes, you did read that correctly :ROFLMAO:), he was slating VAR as far as the neutrality of his position as a pundit allows.

In defence of Peter Walton... nah, there is no defence for that muppet. :mad::mad:

Clear and obvious then ?

D

Deleted member 1740

If i’ve got it right, the corner wasn’t offside. It was when the ball was played back to the player who took the corner he was judged to be in an offside position.

It was a farcical decision regardless.

Apologies BIM I’ve only just read your post. Spot on again

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just seen it on the news and Var was correct.
Short corner and taker was offside when ball was played back to him.
Big toe maybe , really poor but the way Var has been used this year it wasn’t as close as others I have seen.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don’t see how anyone can argue this one. His foot is offside so it’s offside!
And I agree. VAR is only implementing a black and white law not deciding on a human interpretation. Offside is offside. Having a daylight rule or 10cm will be even worse. Yesterday was a poor decision if you are Wolves, but the correct decision if you are Leicester. I’ve said before and will say it again, part of VAR‘s issues is to do with some fans not understanding football.

Last edited:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Tweet from Forest ;)

Nottingham Forest FC
@NFFC
74' WBA 2-1 #NFFC: Keith Stroud is furious as he's forced to give a yellow card to Matt Phillips for a late challenge on Yuri Ribeiro

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
David is a Forest fan - not happy! Shocking decisions all seeming to go against Forest. WBA should have been down to 10 in the 1st half...

He's happier!!

D

Deleted member 15344

perfectly good goal
Which match is this ? The Forest one ? Did the ball even cross the line ( ref didn’t seem to go to his wrist ) ? And the player looked offside ?

Edit - seen the replay - very tough decision to make but I think it was just about right to disallow the goal