Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16999

I care much more about us winning the league than anything, but when people talk shoit on here, my wick gets tickled.

I've explained it a few times, some know what I'm on about, some just dont get it. Overall the "challengers" in 2nd and 3rd place are on a similar points tally to normal 2nd and 3rd place challengers after 25 games. Its just that the number 1 has been unbelievable by getting 73 points which is unprecedented. I cant phrase it any simpler than that.
That’s 1 criteria Pete, surely you don’t think that’s how we should only judge the season?

I’ll propose another angle as to why I believe it is poorer (excluding LPool) than previous years.

Everton(let’s be honest) currently and for the past 5 years a mid table team, I would worry about playing the big 6 home and away and hoping to get the odd win or point here and there, this season, genuinely, apart from yourselves I believe we can get a result against any of the other 5 regardless of home or away, that’s not because we’ve improved it’s because they’ve dropped a peg or 2 and are inconsistent.

Look at the teams the others in the top 6 have dropped points against, it’s hit and miss.

Now I accept you may say that them dropping points against lesser teams is a sign the lesser teams are closing the gap, but I don’t believe it is.

I can only say we may not be able to judge the other 19 teams in the PL until next season and if we see if the other big 5 up their game and the sad “status quo” is returned

None of what I’ve put is intended to detract from what yous have and are achieving.

D

Deleted member 1740

Brilliant performance from the young lads up against a well experienced, strong unit.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That’s 1 criteria Pete, surely you don’t think that’s how we should only judge the season?

I’ll propose another angle as to why I believe it is poorer (excluding LPool) than previous years.

Everton(let’s be honest) currently and for the past 5 years a mid table team, I would worry about playing the big 6 home and away and hoping to get the odd win or point here and there, this season, genuinely, apart from yourselves I believe we can get a result against any of the other 5 regardless of home or away, that’s not because we’ve improved it’s because they’ve dropped a peg or 2 and are inconsistent.

Look at the teams the others in the top 6 have dropped points against, it’s hit and miss.

Now I accept you may say that them dropping points against lesser teams is a sign the lesser teams are closing the gap, but I don’t believe it is.

I can only say we may not be able to judge the other 19 teams in the PL until next season and if we see if the other big 5 up their game and the sad “status quo” is returned

None of what I’ve put is intended to detract from what yous have and are achieving.

There are loads of different criteria that people could bring to the table, your right. At least you brought (a) criteria to the table.

Some dont even know what the table is, how many legs it's got......or how weak/strong it is.:cool:

D

Deleted member 1740

There are loads of different criteria that people could bring to the table, your right. At least you brought (a) criteria to the table.

Some dont even know what the table is, how many legs it's got......or how weak/strong it is.:cool:

The only table that matters is the league table, the league doesn’t lie according to a forum stalwart?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Brilliant performance from the young lads up against a well experienced, strong unit.

Hats off to the young lads ..must be a good bunch to beat Shrewsbury's first 11 when so young

Our young lad Holland scored in 90th min to take Oxford to extra time

VAR tho has got my goat more in the FA cup than anything

Scrap it.. if it can't be at every game then it's not a level playing field. Remove it entirely from the cup

And the game in general (but that's another rant)

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Read a few comments re VAR again. The Shrewsbury goal disallowed last night. If it was at Shrewsbury there’s no VAR, goal stands, Same at forest V Chelsea earlier this season. And before anyone kicks off coz Ave mentioned a team west of Manchester. Same at Swansea last season when City went through. It’s either used at every stadium in the cup or none.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Read a few comments re VAR again. The Shrewsbury goal disallowed last night. If it was at Shrewsbury there’s no VAR, goal stands, Same at forest V Chelsea earlier this season. And before anyone kicks off coz Ave mentioned a team west of Manchester. Same at Swansea last season when City went through. It’s either used at every stadium in the cup or none.
So every match should be refereed by the same referee then? Otherwise the games aren’t being run to the same officiating standard.

Or does that not suit the narrative?

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I care much more about us winning the league than anything, but when people talk shoit on here, my wick gets tickled.

I've explained it a few times, some know what I'm on about, some just dont get it. Overall the "challengers" in 2nd and 3rd place are on a similar points tally to normal 2nd and 3rd place challengers after 25 games. Its just that the number 1 has been unbelievable by getting 73 points which is unprecedented. I cant phrase it any simpler than that.
Would you not say then based on the above that City are not weaker but much weaker than last year.
The league is weaker Pete I don’t need stats to see that.
Liverpool are stronger though :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Scrap it.. if it can't be at every game then it's not a level playing field. Remove it entirely from the cup

Totally agree. Seems to just make it even harder for a small club to go to a PL side and cause any form of upset anymore. I can imagine even as far back as Dickie Guy saving Lorimer's penalty at Elland Road when non-league Wimbledon got a massive 0-0 draw. Bet VAR would have had that retaken now. It simply isn't fair to have it in some games and not others. All or nothing

D

Deleted member 1740

Hats off to the young lads ..must be a good bunch to beat Shrewsbury's first 11 when so young

Our young lad Holland scored in 90th min to take Oxford to extra time

I wholeheartedly agree. It makes a mockery of the competition.

Fans and media complaining about how Klopp has disrespected the competition, poor Shrewsbury missing out on £500k etc but its barely been mentioned that the cup this season isn’t a level playing field.

Whoever wins it should have an * against their name, unless of course it’s us for the double/treble then it’ll be the greatest win ever??

D

Deleted member 1740

Totally agree. Seems to just make it even harder for a small club to go to a PL side and cause any form of upset anymore. I can imagine even as far back as Dickie Guy saving Lorimer's penalty at Elland Road when non-league Wimbledon got a massive 0-0 draw. Bet VAR would have had that retaken now. It simply isn't fair to have it in some games and not others. All or nothing

As opposed to the small club getting a pen which earns them a replay when it should’ve been a free kick just outside the box? ?

But yes I get your point.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site

Likewise, I've tried to explain what is a fairly simple mathematical principle and cant explain it in any more layman's terms, I've been guilty of overestimating the mathematical agility of the average man on the street before and seems I am guilty of that again here. Must always remember to test it out on the Mrs first.

If youve genuinely convinced yourself that title opposition is no weaker than previous years then good for you.

If others genuinely think Liverpool are winning the league for any other reason than sheer quality and their relentless performances then they are deluded and not really worth debating with.

Wolf

Visit site
Likewise, I've tried to explain what is a fairly simple mathematical principle and cant explain it in any more layman's terms, I've been guilty of overestimating the mathematical agility of the average man on the street before and seems I am guilty of that again here. Must always remember to test it out on the Mrs first.

If youve genuinely convinced yourself that title opposition is no weaker than previous years then good for you.

If others genuinely think Liverpool are winning the league for any other reason than sheer quality and their relentless performances then they are deluded and not really worth debating with.
Nailed it.... ?

The other thing is why does it matter so much to some fans (insert any team fans) that their team gets praised by other teams fans for winning or being better.. Liverpool are gonna win the leg well done, but frankly I don't care or feel I should laud them im more concerned how crap Arsenal season has been because that's who I support.

D

Deleted member 16999

Nailed it.... ?

The other thing is why does it matter so much to some fans (insert any team fans) that their team gets praised by other teams fans for winning or being better.. Liverpool are gonna win the leg well done, but frankly I don't care or feel I should laud them im more concerned how crap Arsenal season has been because that's who I support.
Possibly because it’s 2 different things:

1. You support a Club.
2. You follow Football.

2 to me means appreciating quality and good football, regardless of the team, League, etc without bias.

You get supporters of all Clubs who cannot or will not give credit to any opposition, that’s not a true supporter to me, that’s someone who belongs to a cult.;)

Wolf

Visit site
Possibly because it’s 2 different things:

1. You support a Club.
2. You follow Football.

2 to me means appreciating quality and good football, regardless of the team, League, etc without bias.

You get supporters of all Clubs who cannot or will not give credit to any opposition, that’s not a true supporter to me, that’s someone who belongs to a cult.;)
I've said before well done Liverpool deserved winner's this year and no issue congratulating them.. But it's the faux outrage many are showing across social media platforms and whining people aren't giving them more credit than that makes me laugh.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've said before well done Liverpool deserved winner's this year and no issue congratulating them.. But it's the faux outrage many are showing across social media platforms and whining people aren't giving them more credit than that makes me laugh.
I have my bucket of rose pettles ready to throw in front of every Liverpool fan I meet post league win. Will that be enough to satisfy do you think?

Wolf

Visit site
I have my bucket of rose pettles ready to throw in front of every Liverpool fan I meet post league win. Will that be enough to satisfy do you think?
Will you be on your knees lauding them, singing you'll never walk alone, whilst clad in a 70s sheepskin jacket, with a curly wig whilst scattering said customised liver bird petals.. If not then you're not making enough effort ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Will you be on your knees lauding them, singing you'll never walk alone, whilst clad in a 70s sheepskin jacket, with a curly wig whilst scattering said customised liver bird petals.. If not then you're not making enough effort ?
As a blue I am not worthy of singing that song, nor wearing said clothing. I will be keeping my head down, not making eye contact, distributing petals for them to walk on. I know my place.

D

Deleted member 15344

?

I think at the end of the day what other fans think doesnt really matter but people love the extremes

On here for example it’s pretty down the middle - credit given with the odd “weakest league in living memory “ and only winning because of VAR but on the whole people are generally “best team winning etc”

But other social media outlets are hilarious in people’s desire to find an excuse or reason for Liverpool winning the league beyond them just being better than others - statman Gaz is just a drop in the ocean of the scrambling around to find reasons but again extremes even though it’s amazing the self belief people like him have. Most of the level headed fans don’t have those extremes and reading stuff that people like Diablo have posted shows that level headed reasoning is alive and well.

It is amusing to see that one season it’s City the greatest team seen in Prem history and then the next season it’s the weakest league in living memory ? head scratching but oh well going to be see great celebrations coming - who knows - unbeaten season maybe , treble ? Double ? CL ? could be the most successful season in history ?

But let’s hope it’s the start of more great things ?