Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1740

But the point is it doesn't show that at all. It's a mathematical principle that the distribution of points will remain close to average year on year regardless of the relative 'strength' of the league. So it neither proves or disproves your point, it isn't something that should be used as a 'factual' thing.

That others are in the top 6 only strengthens the argument imo. Leicester have had a good season but have been mid table for a couple of years and capitalised well on the failings of others.

For Wolves, read Everton, Villa, Bolton, Leeds teams of the past (and many more). There's always a couple of decent mid table sides that have good years and push into the top 5/6, their season isn't anything new.

I still don't really understand why you care what others think/say about your success, but it's fine that you do ??

I might be wrong but I dont think LB is, he's responding to Pokerjokes "nobody has proved me wrong" after hes claimed this season is the worst in his memory.

For me, I'm really not bothered what others think. We've been the best side in the league this season to date and that's good enough for me.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
So it’s agreed then, poor season, best forgotten. ;)
Fully agreed! It's been the worst season I can remember watching. And not just for the poor quality of the challengers and zero title race, but there's the absolute catastrophe of VAR to chuck in as well. Just dire.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Apparently some Liverpool fans started a petition to sign Stevie G so that he could lift the Prem trophy ?

It’s like they actually want to be mocked ???

The gift ???

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It wasn't that long ago everyone was saying how the PL was the strongest in Europe. I assume now then that after taking all 4 finals places in Europe last season, and World Club champ in the PL it's not now?
So is the PL now like the Bundesliga was....one team in complete control?

Pin-seeker

Visit site
It wasn't that long ago everyone was saying how the PL was the strongest in Europe. I assume now then that after taking all 4 finals places in Europe last season, and World Club champ in the PL it's not now?
It’s weird,it’s like most of the big Clubs in Europe aren’t quite what they were a few years ago.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s weird,it’s like most of the big Clubs in Europe aren’t quite what they were a few years ago.
So is that because they have dropped the ball or has everyone else got stronger with more even money splits?
Perhaps we preferred it with the same 2 or 3 clubs running each league?

D

Deleted member 16999

It still is the strongest in Europe imo, I have to be careful being a blue, but, some of us saying the PL has been poor this season are judging it against previous PL season’s.

It is in no way meant as a slight against LPool, they, imo, are the only team who have greatly improved and that improvement is to a completely another level.

A substandard PL season is still stronger than any other league in Europe.

Last season City were lauded as the greatest PL team we’ve witnessed, LPool (gulp) have gone beyond them this season, even if it was the greatest PL season I firmly believe we’d still see LPool being streets ahead.

I need to go drink bleach to wash my mouth out.;)

Pin-seeker

Visit site
So is that because they have dropped the ball or has everyone else got stronger with more even money splits?
Perhaps we preferred it with the same 2 or 3 clubs running each league?
Could be down to a few of the big key players knocking on a bit.
Barca & Real aren’t overly impressive at the moment imo.

Wolf

Visit site
Could be down to a few of the big key players knocking on a bit.
Barca & Real aren’t overly impressive at the moment imo.
I think that's a really good point.. We seem to be hitting a lull in the number of those true standout world class performers.. Messi in his 30s, REAL haven't really had any since Ronaldo went. Italian league hasn't for some time thrown up a Baggio/Totti type

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think that's a really good point.. We seem to be hitting a lull in the number of those true standout world class performers.. Messi in his 30s, REAL haven't really had any since Ronaldo went. Italian league hasn't for some time thrown up a Baggio/Totti type
Or is that certain Spanish or Italian clubs are no longer hoovering up the talent like they used to and the younger talent is spread about more?

Wolf

Visit site
Or is that certain Spanish or Italian clubs are no longer hoovering up the talent like they used to and the younger talent is spread about more?
Probably a very good point BM, but also I think the modern transfer values and wages have somewhat masked a lot of true talent. Look at PSG they've arguably 2 of the greatest talents in current qorld football playing upfront for them in arguably one of the weakest top divisions yet not many clubs can afford to pry them away.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Probably a very good point BM, but also I think the modern transfer values and wages have somewhat masked a lot of true talent. Look at PSG they've arguably 2 of the greatest talents in current qorld football playing upfront for them in arguably one of the weakest top divisions yet not many clubs can afford to pry them away.
But are they not there simply because the clubs owners have the funds to keep them and the dodgy way Barca and Real funded and operated is now under much greater control?

Wolf

Visit site
But are they not there simply because the clubs owners have the funds to keep them and the dodgy way Barca and Real funded and operated is now under much greater control?
Again possibly you're right with that but that in itself I think proves the misconceptions of the greatest leagues in the world theory. Because the greatest players don't necessarily play in it, want to play in it or simply can't play in it because of the financial offerings elsewhere. The amount of wealth in the game now is so vast that there will never be a greatest league because nobody chooses to play for teams like they used to based on history, or because who the team are. It literally now is who pays the most regardless of what you can win. I think a better term than greatest league should be most competitive league, but this season doesn't equate to that due to how uncompetitive the PL has been.. Liverpool have been excellent theres no doubt abiut that but the rest has been a little wanting

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Liverpool would win the league this year, whatever. They are by far the best team, playing the best footy, managed by the best manager. It could be closer, others could be playing better, but Liverpool would still win it. The best team does. It's how it goes.
I don't have to like it, but it is what it is.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
But the point is it doesn't show that at all. It's a mathematical principle that the distribution of points will remain close to average year on year regardless of the relative 'strength' of the league. So it neither proves or disproves your point, it isn't something that should be used as a 'factual' thing.

That others are in the top 6 only strengthens the argument imo. Leicester have had a good season but have been mid table for a couple of years and capitalised well on the failings of others.

For Wolves, read Everton, Villa, Bolton, Leeds teams of the past (and many more). There's always a couple of decent mid table sides that have good years and push into the top 5/6, their season isn't anything new.

I still don't really understand why you care what others think/say about your success, but it's fine that you do ??

I care much more about us winning the league than anything, but when people talk shoit on here, my wick gets tickled.

I've explained it a few times, some know what I'm on about, some just dont get it. Overall the "challengers" in 2nd and 3rd place are on a similar points tally to normal 2nd and 3rd place challengers after 25 games. Its just that the number 1 has been unbelievable by getting 73 points which is unprecedented. I cant phrase it any simpler than that.