Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think there’s a confusion between competition and ability.
imo the league isn’t s competitive at the top due to the top 2-6 being equally worse. That doesn’t detract from how good Liverpool are.

@Liverbirdie you asked how the teams compare to previous seasons re the also rans. Since Leicester won the league, the 3 remaining teams that finished in the top 4 have averaged approx 80 points, approx 85% of the league winners tally.
This season, if form continues, and it could be argued that city and Leicester are gonna gave worse finishes than the start of the season. The top 3 are on course to average 70 points at less than 70% of Liverpool’s title.

Of course stats can be used to show anything, but I don’t think anyone can really say City are playing as well as previous seasons. Utd and Arsenal just look awful. the quality of the football has imo dropped massivEly. Now none of this makes Liverpool’s football or title win any worse, they’d still have beaten those teams if the were 15% better, but the league whilst more competitive in the fact that points are so close. Isn’t made up of 19 other really good teams.

Yes, but thats if you compare points compared to the probable champions. As I've said, our run has been unbelievable, compared to normal.

I'm talking a normal points total for 2nd and 3rd place for this time of year as a comparison, not comparing it as a percentage compared to current 1st place.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can almost sense the hope ?. Affinity to a club can grow when a player goes to the club - would you say Tim Cahill has an affinity to Everton ? I would say so and no doubt many others have the same - I have no doubt that VVD is growing an affinity to the club and it helps when the club is doing well - 5 years ago I would say that regardless of any affinity players would go but now - where is the next step up for a player ? For the first time in a long time currently I can’t see our best players leaving and in fact can so others wanting to come
Whether he stays or not genuinely does not stress me. I can't affect your club, your players, so whether he or others stay or go is simply a talking point. It is a general comment rather than targeted. VVD in recent years has been to Celtic, Southampton and now Liverpool. Each one a step up the ladder. He may decide to stop at Liverpool for the next 10 years or after another two he may fancy a nice life in Italy or Spain. Is winning a league and challenging for the CL each year in Italy or Spain any different? Pick the right team, he can right now, and this is virtually guaranteed.

Certain players do come over and develop a bond with a club. If you take our two teams then Molby is a good example for you, Cahill for us. They are rare examples though and in this modern era those players are even rarer, Kompany is a good example most recently. Players growing up in a country may grow up loving a particular club but as a player growing up in The Netherlands VVD has no bond to Liverpool. He will stay for as long as it suits him and then he will go, simple as that. Best not to get too attached to players now, it is a different era.

The good news for you is that he would certainly not jump ship to another English team, that could have happened previously. Yourselves and City are the two clear top dogs right now and there is no way either team would sanction the sale of a top player to either team. A move to another team would be a step down and why would he do that? If he, Mane, Salah etc do decide to leave it will be abroad, not to a domestic rival.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Tbf Pete.

Players have left everyone for Madrid, no matter how big their current club. Maybe the success in Europe will help keep him, but having seen his ambition (lack of loyalty) first hand. I’d not be surprised if he hoped to ply his trade in Spain at some point.

I wish everyone would stop me getting mixed up with the hockey jockey. :mad::)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My lad was saying something along the lines of “ the way things are going, City will be doing a guard of Honour to Liverpool as Prem league champs when they play at City”.
I really don't get the guard of honour thing. You get the trophy at the end of the year, that is enough. I would be disgusted if Everton did that for Liverpool, there is no need for it.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Yes, but thats if you compare points compared to the probable champions. As I've said, our run has been unbelievable, compared to normal.

I'm talking a normal points total for 2nd and 3rd place for this time of year as a comparison, not comparing it as a percentage compared to current 1st place.

I thought that was in there too fella. Average of the challengers (2-4) usually approx 80 at end of season. This year I'll be surprised if its 70.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I thought that was in there too fella. Average of the challengers (2-4) usually approx 80 at end of season. This year I'll be surprised if its 70.

Your not getting me.

What I'm saying is, is it normal for 2nd and 3rd place in the league to be in or around what City and Leicester are currently on around now. ie 51 and 49 points respectively after 25 games, or is that low in comparison to normal?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Your not getting me.

What I'm saying is, is it normal for 2nd and 3rd place in the league to be in or around what City and Leicester are currently on around now. ie 51 and 49 points respectively after 25 games, or is that low in comparison to normal?
Gotcha,

2nd/3rd/7th

51/49/35 this year
62/57/38
53/50/35
52/50/41
48/48/37

To me it shows that realistically last season was the different year in regards to gap between top couple and then the also rans (below Europa). That being said, without paying attention to the leaders points it really doesn’t show anything. I can’t recall the challengers playing such poor footy in a while. Surely, the closer the spread the more equal the comp.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Gotcha,

2nd/3rd/7th

51/49/35 this year
62/57/38
53/50/35
52/50/41
48/48/37

To me it shows that realistically last season was the different year in regards to gap between top couple and then the also rans (below Europa). That being said, without paying attention to the leaders points it really doesn’t show anything. I can’t recall the challengers playing such poor footy in a while. Surely, the closer the spread the more equal the comp.

Yep, so city and and Leicester (or 2nd and 3rd place) have a normal points total for 25 games. Its just that ours is a massive anomaly.

Nice one.(y)

D

Deleted member 1740

I really don't get the guard of honour thing. You get the trophy at the end of the year, that is enough. I would be disgusted if Everton did that for Liverpool, there is no need for it.

It's a tradition and shows respect.

And I will do a petition to get one every week until end of season should we win it in march ?? #unbearable

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 15344

When did it begin? It's a pretty recent gimmick isn't it? Claiming it as a tradition is stretching it.

#notonmywatch ?

Believe Teams have been doing it randomly since the 70’s but became more regular over the past 20 years to now it happens each year

Imagine being “disgusted” because of players showing a little respect and praise towards each other

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Believe Teams have been doing it randomly since the 70’s but became more regular over the past 20 years to now it happens each year

Imagine being “disgusted” because of players showing a little respect and praise towards each other
You are assuming that players have respect whilst they are stood in line ?. Big assumption. I'm fairly sure most fans feel the same.

Always funny when a follower of a team wants to take a moral high ground. Not sure that's a wise road to go down.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
It's a tradition and shows respect.

And I will do a petition to get one every week until end of season should we win it in march ?? #unbearable

Don’t forget where you where you heard it first. Me I am all for it.

However if that’s is the occasion at City I know where there’s three tickets for sale #morethanunbearable. ???

Wolf

Visit site
You are assuming that players have respect whilst they are stood in line ?. Big assumption. I'm fairly sure most fans feel the same.

Always funny when a follower of a team wants to take a moral high ground. Not sure that's a wise road to go down.
I think the guard of honour thing is ridiculous, don't see it as a sign of respect nor needed at all.

D

Deleted member 15344

Not sure where the moral high ground is ?

Whether I agree with it or not I certainly wouldn’t be “ disgusted” with it - it’s something that happens in many other sports , with rugby after every game, is football that far gone or is the hatred that bad players can’t just give a bit or respect to the best team in the league that year regardless of who it is ?

Are footballers that bad now they don’t have any respect for their fellow players and unable to praise each other.

D

Deleted member 16999

Whether I agree with it or not I certainly wouldn’t be “ disgusted” with it - it’s something that happens in many other sports , with rugby after every game, is football that far gone or is the hatred that bad players can’t just give a bit or respect to the best team in the league that year regardless of who it is ?

Are footballers that bad now they don’t have any respect for their fellow players and unable to praise each other.
Then have a guard of honour next season once this season has finished.
The only guard of honour I can recall is by the players of the home club when the trophy is being presented at an away ground.

ie. Utd at Goodison in 2003, City at Bournemouth last season.
Whoever you play at home when you get the trophy may give you a guard of honour, but that’s it!

D

Deleted member 16999

Yep, so city and and Leicester (or 2nd and 3rd place) have a normal points total for 25 games. Its just that ours is a massive anomaly.

Nice one.(y)
As you say, your season is a “massive anomaly” everyone else is below standard.;)

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site

Give it a rest Phil once again your going way over the top.
Football has changed nobody shook hands before a game before but now they are made to wether they want to or not.
Do you think Evra wanted to shake Suarez hand.
Looks like you’ve never played rugby either.