Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16999

As a football fan I agree what you are trying to encourage, but overall big conversations have to be had with regards to competitions/fixtures/replays with the football league, FA, premier league, UEFA and FIFA.

However, with the amount of self-interest and stupidity amongst all of them "organisations", I dont expect anything soon, or workable.

I would love to get the FA cup back to what it was in the 70's and 80's, doubt we will, but lots of things can be done to get it at least partially there.
This all day long, add in the Winners only getting a EL place and the Runners-up nothing if Winners already qualified for Europe.
The FA Cup place last season went to 7th in the PL.

One easy way to raise the FA Cup profile again, Winners/Runners-up get 4th CL slot, that wouldn’t be popular with some, but would certainly give the FA Cup a bit more of a priority.

As for who teams put out, manager’s decision, pure and simple.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well the logic is you can't set out to deliberately lose a game as that would be absurd. Also what would that do to the confidence of the back-up players? "I am playing you because I want us to lose this one." "Cheers gaffer."
I am just thinking that we are not going to win the cup.
So the longer we are in it the more games we have .
Be it a replay or the next round it’s still another game.
Nobody goes out to lose your correct.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This all day long, add in the Winners only getting a EL place and the Runners-up nothing if Winners already qualified for Europe.
The FA Cup place last season went to 7th in the PL.

One easy way to raise the FA Cup profile again, Winners/Runners-up get 4th CL slot, that wouldn’t be popular with some, but would certainly give the FA Cup a bit more of a priority.

As for who teams put out, manager’s decision, pure and simple.
That’s a good idea. As the FA cup winners are a cup winning side .
Coming fourth in the league means nothing except more money.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am just thinking that we are not going to win the cup.
So the longer we are in it the more games we have .
Be it a replay or the next round it’s still another game.
Nobody goes out to lose your correct.
I agree when it's third priority at best - we're in the same boat as we have our replay shooting down our winter break as well now. Just saying the managers' hands are tied a bit, isn't much they can do about it.

D

Deleted member 15344

As harsh as it is - domestic cups have moved on , other countries are actually stopping playing them where as we have two - the amount of games the player in the UK at a top club could play is

38 Prem Games , 7 FA Cups , 9 Lge Cup , 8-14 CL games - then add in the international games another 10 games
That’s a potential of 70 games in the season plus any tournaments in the summer

Something has to give - players and teams can’t continue to have the heavy load

And because teams want their players fresher for either challenging for the League or CL , or avoiding relegation then the league and CL are always going to be the priority- that’s were the money is that allows the teams to build and be successful

Players don’t go to clubs to play in a domestic cup , owners don’t spend money for a FA Cup etc

The CL isn’t going to get smaller , Internationals aren’t going to change , the Prem isn’t going to change - that leaves the domestic cups - and the first step could be removing the Prem Teams from the League Cup -

D

Deleted member 16999

As harsh as it is - domestic cups have moved on , other countries are actually stopping playing them where as we have two - the amount of games the player in the UK at a top club could play is

38 Prem Games , 7 FA Cups , 9 Lge Cup , 8-14 CL games - then add in the international games another 10 games

And because teams want their players fresher for either challenging for the League or CL , or avoiding relegation then the league and CL are always going to be the priority- that’s were the money is that allows the teams to build and be successful

Players don’t go to clubs to play in a domestic cup , owners don’t spend money for a FA Cup etc

The CL isn’t going to get smaller , Internationals aren’t going to change , the Prem isn’t going to change - that leaves the domestic cups - and the first step could be removing the Prem Teams from the League Cup -
Or just 40 games if you’re Everton.;)

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Asked to play in the World Club Championships - could have done a Klopp and entered reserves in FA Cup initial rounds.
We did as we were asked. Football was a different beast even twenty years ago. Squad depth wasn’t anywhere near currently expected levels at the top teams.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Not sure how many of the big European nations have stopped playing cup competitions. Coppa Del Rey, Coppa Italia, DFB cup etc. All being played and competed by the top sides
Many countries have dropped their league cup. This is the last year of it in France, too.

The FA Cup is historically held in much higher esteem than other countries’ versions. England is just coming in line with the rest.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Off the top of my head.

League cup

1. Make it England and Scottish teams, Welsh are already included.
2. 1 x semi final (neutral venue), by god not Wembley again.
3. Teams playing in Europe get a bye for 1st round (as now), another round, if workable, or CL teams only do and EL dont (again if the numbers stack up).
4. Final in early April, when its a bit warmer.
5. Pick who you want but the players have to play in at least 2 rounds, if they want to play in the final, unless injury was an obvious factor. Rashford's will have to go to the high court. ;)
6. No replays.
7. The big boys not to get their own way dictating to the rest.
8. The final of a Saturday at 5.00, all other league games to kick off before 2.00 pm or on the Friday/Sunday/Monday.

FA Cup.

1. The 20 Lowest placed teams have an option to be placed in a separate, but still random, draw along with the premiership clubs. Lower placed team have the option whether to play it at home (default position) or away at the big boys. So this would mainly be for the lower placed non-league teams, div 2 , maybe the odd div 1.
2. No replays.
3. Semis back to neutral venues, and also see of the millenium is available.
4. No league games on Finals day, just day before or afterwards.
5. 3rd round weekend to be at least 4-5 days after the Xmas/new year period games, if not 8-9 days after.
6. Snooker "personalities" to be brought in to "jazz up" the 12.30 slot on cup final day. :unsure:
7. £25 adult/£10 kids prices for tickets across all games up to semis.
8. Realistic pricing for semi and final tickets (maybe similar prices to what the finalists charge their own fans for normal league games and greater share to participating clubs.
9. 25% away ticket allocations, as per yesteryear - some great days out then.

Internationals

Played in 2-3 "blocks" in a year instead of 5-6 of them, less friendlies.

African cup to go to once every two years.

Players to have at least 4 weeks rest after their team exits the summer tournaments before they can even start training again.

Prem

Keep xmas schedule as is, but full rest week in mid-late January (when everyone is skint), no friendlies allowed.
No-one to play within, say 65 hours of a previous game, and definitely not 48/55 hours later.

There's that to be getting on with.

I dont care what France does, Sir Humphrey would be turning in his grave. ;)

BTW not "comfortable" with Jurgen not managing the team. I understand that everyone needs a rest, but still doesnt "sit" right.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Many countries have dropped their league cup. This is the last year of it in France, too.

The FA Cup is historically held in much higher esteem than other countries’ versions. England is just coming in line with the rest.

I can understand the theory behind that and to be honest is there really that much of a future for the league cup in England? you'd hope (although I doubt it) that if we only had the FA cup as our one domestic cup in line with a lot of Europe that the bigger sides may start to view it in a slightly higher esteem again. That or do what they in the league cup and get a result on the day either via extra time or penalties and take out replays

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would say just make the League Cup optional to Premier League teams. Let the big clubs opt out and let the teams who would actually value winning it compete. It's a bit of a joke at the minute when Man City's reserves and kids can get them to the semis while none of their fans gives a flying one about it.

Although, they may opt to stay in it anyway as it gives more senior game opportunities for their young players.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

That’s a perfect summary and is why I questioned Klopp putting three top players out last night.
Win or draw last night we still have another game.
But the cup is of no interest to Klopp apart from giving other lads a game.
We won’t win it with the side last night.
One cup will have to go soon.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Off the top of my head.

League cup

3. Teams playing in Europe get a bye for 1st round (as now), another round, if workable, or CL teams only do and EL dont (again if the numbers stack up).
5. Pick who you want but the players have to play in at least 2 rounds, if they want to play in the final, unless injury was an obvious factor. Rashford's will have to go to the high court. ;)
6. No replays.
8. The final of a Saturday at 5.00, all other league games to kick off before 2.00 pm or on the Friday/Sunday/Monday.

FA Cup.

1. The 20 Lowest placed teams have an option to be placed in a separate, but still random, draw along with the premiership clubs. Lower placed team have the option whether to play it at home (default position) or away at the big boys. So this would mainly be for the lower placed non-league teams, div 2 , maybe the odd div 1.
2. No replays.
5. 3rd round weekend to be at least 4-5 days after the Xmas/new year period games, if not 8-9 days after.
6. Snooker "personalities" to be brought in to "jazz up" the 12.30 slot on cup final day. :unsure:
8. Realistic pricing for semi and final tickets (maybe similar prices to what the finalists charge their own fans for normal league games and greater share to participating clubs.

Internationals

Players to have at least 4 weeks rest after their team exits the summer tournaments before they can even start training again.

Prem

Keep xmas schedule as is, but full rest week in mid-late January (when everyone is skint), no friendlies allowed.
No-one to play within, say 65 hours of a previous game, and definitely not 48/55 hours later.

BTW not "comfortable" with Jurgen not managing the team. I understand that everyone needs a rest, but still doesnt "sit" right.
Look like you should be at FA headquarters. You avaliable.?

D

Deleted member 15344

Off the top of my head.

League cup

6. No replays.

FA Cup.

2. No replays.

Internationals

Prem

Pete

some good stuff but I feel a lot is coming from a fans focus ( nothing wrong with that ) but a lot of issues are with the level of game load on the players and whilst your changes would point towards more for the fans I don’t think it helps the managers etc

For me changes should be

All your ticket suggestions spot on

League Cup - either scrap it or remove the Prem Clubs and bring in the Scottish Clubs and rebrand it

FA Cup - Prem Teams arrive in round 3 , no replays from round 4 , go back to the old style semis at various grounds

Prem - winter break where no games can be played - same as what we they have introduced now

International- Friendlies only allowed in the month before a tournament