Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
This all day long, add in the Winners only getting a EL place and the Runners-up nothing if Winners already qualified for Europe.
The FA Cup place last season went to 7th in the PL.

One easy way to raise the FA Cup profile again, Winners/Runners-up get 4th CL slot, that wouldn’t be popular with some, but would certainly give the FA Cup a bit more of a priority.

As for who teams put out, manager’s decision, pure and simple.

Couldn’t agree more, however If City, Liverpool and Leicester finish in the top three. Hypothetically you could of had Utd, Spurs, Arsenal Chelsea etc etc thinking the FA cup is the best chance for champs league.

Another point, have you seen how much the winners of the Crappyboo cup get. £100K ?. that don’t pay for Pogbas haircut.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I know this is the PL thread, but some of the suggestions on here are so out of touch in regards to the whole nations football fans imo. as much as money has obviously changed things. Not for one second do I think that it’s only fans of premier league teams that subscribe.

The fa cup hasn’t lost its magic for all those fans of the 100’s of teams that aren’t in the PL that enter qualification. Replays, keep em. If top clubs don’t wanna face em. Play a full strength team and get it done. The money Shrewsbury will earn from the replay will probably cover a years overheads. Then the football associations cup. Not the PL cup. Maybe, a caveat could be that if both teams agree prior to a fixture then it can go to pens. So PL drawn against one another can have a one off game.

Internationals, unless you support a top 6 club, then the best players you’ll get to watch will likely be your countries. I would scrap the cup of nations, and maybe limit friendlies, but cancel em other than prior a comp. nope, over a 2 year cycle teams need at least a few meet ups to train together and try new ideas.

League cup. Make it optional, but a team must name their squad prior to first round they enter. So they can’t just chuck kids in and then dump em when they get to the semis and start to get interested in a trophy. No pref to any teams in Europe. Certainly not one that gives extra help to those in the CL considering the Europa teams will likely of played more games. Sorry Pete.

I like the idea of a 4 week break after intl comps. But, if you are a team with Europa or CL qualification games and half your squad can’t play, would you like the idea so much......

Clubs do play more games now, but also have vastly bigger squads. A break, if anything helps the bugger clubs further. It Means they don’t need to rotate as much and then the smaller clubs, who’s players maybe have that little extra desire (with less ability) and relish the hectic schedule don’t get the benefit against the “pampered” players.

On a side note, re Liverpool’s replay squad. No complaints from me about resting the squad. Think it’s good klopp isn’t managing the team as their not really his players as such, but think he should be there. As a few words from him could really inspire the kids.

D

Deleted member 1740

and as a match going fan, are you happy with that?

No absolutely not but theres nothing I can do to influence or change it.

I'll always enjoy any trophy my team wins over winning the P&L sheet table, 4th place finishes etc.

Days out to Wembley, Cardiff,Dortmund etc to see us win trophies are memories I'll never forget. I dont want to remember finishing 4th.

As football has changed to a money obsessed sport I can understand why finishing 4th is an achievement as such.

Ask Wigan or Birmingham fans would they swap their trophies for PL football then ask the chairmen andd I'm certain they'd have different answers.

D

Deleted member 1740

It seems to me you don’t understand the difference between a general discussion and moaning.
I only asked why he brought them on and risked them for a comp he has no interest in.

?? I thought it was obvious.. He wanted to avoid a replay and win the game.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
As harsh as it is - domestic cups have moved on , other countries are actually stopping playing them where as we have two - the amount of games the player in the UK at a top club could play is

38 Prem Games , 7 FA Cups , 9 Lge Cup , 8-14 CL games - then add in the international games another 10 games
That’s a potential of 70 games in the season plus any tournaments in the summer

But isn't that what large squads are for?
It's up to the manager to manage that very scenario.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Pete

some good stuff but I feel a lot is coming from a fans focus ( nothing wrong with that ) but a lot of issues are with the level of game load on the players and whilst your changes would point towards more for the fans I don’t think it helps the managers etc

For me changes should be

All your ticket suggestions spot on

League Cup - either scrap it or remove the Prem Clubs and bring in the Scottish Clubs and rebrand it

FA Cup - Prem Teams arrive in round 3 , no replays from round 4 , go back to the old style semis at various grounds

Prem - winter break where no games can be played - same as what we they have introduced now

International- Friendlies only allowed in the month before a tournament

Correct, after all I am a fan.

I do realise that there are too many games, and the clubs like Liverpool, City, United have bigger incomes and bigger squads,so should be able to manage the earlier rounds (or not).

The plus of still having domestic cups is that you can use fringe players, players coming back from injury who only need 60 minutes (like Matip yesterday) and also the kids.

If we get rid of the league cup people will be moaning that young English talent then arent getting a chance. Each manager/club can pick accordingly.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I know this is the PL thread, but some of the suggestions on here are so out of touch in regards to the whole nations football fans imo. as much as money has obviously changed things. Not for one second do I think that it’s only fans of premier league teams that subscribe.

The fa cup hasn’t lost its magic for all those fans of the 100’s of teams that aren’t in the PL that enter qualification. Replays, keep em. If top clubs don’t wanna face em. Play a full strength team and get it done. The money Shrewsbury will earn from the replay will probably cover a years overheads. Then the football associations cup. Not the PL cup. Maybe, a caveat could be that if both teams agree prior to a fixture then it can go to pens. So PL drawn against one another can have a one off game.

Internationals, unless you support a top 6 club, then the best players you’ll get to watch will likely be your countries. I would scrap the cup of nations, and maybe limit friendlies, but cancel em other than prior a comp. nope, over a 2 year cycle teams need at least a few meet ups to train together and try new ideas.

League cup. Make it optional, but a team must name their squad prior to first round they enter. So they can’t just chuck kids in and then dump em when they get to the semis and start to get interested in a trophy. No pref to any teams in Europe. Certainly not one that gives extra help to those in the CL considering the Europa teams will likely of played more games. Sorry Pete.

I like the idea of a 4 week break after intl comps. But, if you are a team with Europa or CL qualification games and half your squad can’t play, would you like the idea so much......

Clubs do play more games now, but also have vastly bigger squads. A break, if anything helps the bugger clubs further. It Means they don’t need to rotate as much and then the smaller clubs, who’s players maybe have that little extra desire (with less ability) and relish the hectic schedule don’t get the benefit against the “pampered” players.

On a side note, re Liverpool’s replay squad. No complaints from me about resting the squad. Think it’s good klopp isn’t managing the team as their not really his players as such, but think he should be there. As a few words from him could really inspire the kids.

Thats the thing though Dave, there isnt a right answer as we all have competing wants and needs, but I think most people agree that there are too many games so we need to open it up for discussion.

You know me I'm not bothered about international footy that much, but also realise that England need to see English players getting a chance at English clubs. I would expect that most players 90 minute debuts are in League cup and FA cup games when aged 17/18/19, and not necessarily in premiership games, where they may get the odd 10 minutes at the end of a game, if their lucky.

I agree with a mid-season break, but I think its mainly been brought in to help England, probably due to 50 years of doing sod all in international comps, whereas the Europeans have done it for years. It doesnt necessarily benefit my club team, but I can see the reasoning behind it and should no doubt benefit players who are flogged.

Players need to have enforced breaks after large international tournaments. I think the reason for Torres massive dip was having played about 3-4 years at international tournaments through to the final when Spain were dominant, but he would be back training again 3 weeks after the final, hardly anytime to recuperate or get over injuries. Chelsea seen the result of that rather than us.:D

I'm not saying all I said is brilliant, but unless the conversation is opened up we'll keep doing the same old same old, then moan about that. Yes, tonnes of interested parties, fans and organisations, but something needs doing, as UEFA want to introduce changes to the CL which will involve more games which will be even worse again. Then the richer will be even richer, and even though my club will probably benefit, I dont believe in massive (and repeatable) disparity in the league.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Odd looking Arsenal side (theres a shock lol), seem to be missing a playmaker with both Ceballos and Ozil on bench, not sure what were resting Lacazette for either. Be good to see Nketiah back at least, if hes not going out on loan again at least give him some game time

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Odd looking Arsenal side (theres a shock lol), seem to be missing a playmaker with both Ceballos and Ozil on bench, not sure what were resting Lacazette for either. Be good to see Nketiah back at least, if hes not going out on loan again at least give him some game time

Willock playing well though. Nice goal from Saka. There is a lot to like about this. Nketiah on the score sheet too.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I'd take the reserves, but think it will be the yoof!

I still dont see why we cant play Fab, Lovren and Matip again, as although they were very rusty, they will have another 10 days training in them, and they have all been out for 2 months, so shouldnt need the rest week.

I think Klopp is using it as a points scoring exercise tbh. It's notthing new. All foreign managers don't like our winter schedule. But he's got the perfect time to make a point.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I think Klopp is using it as a points scoring exercise tbh. It's notthing new. All foreign managers don't like our winter schedule. But he's got the perfect time to make a point.

But is he. Pep says it’s wrong coz of the amount of games there expected to play. And he is told to buy more players with his Oil money. Liverpool have already had hold of the wrong end of a shitty stick re world club cup and Crappy boo cup. They now have the same problem with replays when Pep has said there should be none. Even the lower league clubs have said there is to much football. Even the fans are bogged off with to much football. Fans are not even bothered to go to FA cup games. So who is wrong. Good on Kloop for making a stand. The FA and Prem league have created a fixture monster.