Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

Simple question Papas. If City and Liverpool had been injury free, would the gap of been as it is. Or would it of been similar to the previous season.

You have missed one first team for half a season - you have the most expensive squad in history and one injury hurts that bad ? Seems like the manager didn’t spend the £150mil in the summer very well

And Liverpool have also been without first team players as well

Injuries is a poor excuse - you won the title , one player left and you spent £150 mil on players - so you would expect the team to move forward

The manager should have at the very least replaced Kompany in the summer instead of risking the season with 3 CB’s

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can all the people who think the P/L is not weak come up with an argument to how they thing it is strong.
It’s alright having an opinion but it needs backing up.
#easypeesypremierleaguey

D

Deleted member 15344

The good news is if the phone in on talksport is anything to go by the Man Utd fans are fully behind the manager and want to give him at least a couple of seasons. They appear to believe he wasn’t backed enough in the summer ( spent £130 mil on two players ) and isn’t being backed now

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Can all the people who think the P/L is not weak come up with an argument to how they thing it is strong.
It’s alright having an opinion but it needs backing up.
#easypeesypremierleaguey

PJ. Am.old skool. I for one think the premier league has been good. Very good. As a City fan of decades I thought it was boring when football was invented the day Sky started showing it and the premier league was formed. It was all about the big four. Chelsea, arsenal, Utd and Liverpool. For anyone else it was monotonous. City, spurs and Leicester, liddle old Leicester have smashed that big four apart.
This season has seen Liddle teams, and I can use that expression coz I follow liddle Citeh, the noisy neighbours. Liddle teams have taken points off the premier champs, look at burnley last night. All season pools forecasts have been smashed because of upsets. The prem league is not just about the top table but every team in it.
Yup Citys results aside, try telling any fan from a liddle team punching above its weight it's a rubbish year. And you know what, ave a feeling theres a few more twists and turns yet.

D

Deleted member 15344

Just doing some anaylsis to compare appearances this season between City and Liverpool. For me the main difference is stability in defence. We can't keep a clean sheet and can dominate possession for the first half and go in 1-0 down with our opponents having one attack. Liverpool just look more difficult to break down and are scraping some wins when they've not been at their best - something we haven't done much, if any of, at all.

So:

Ederson 21 appearances. Alisson 14. (Poor Ederson is usually not at fault mind).
Laporte 5. VVD 22 (I think it's fair to compare these two as they're not only the best defenders but also leaders in defence). Fernandinho 20. Gomez 13.
Full backs: Walker 18 and Mendy 11, Robertson and Arnold have 22 each.

Without doubt Liverpool have by far the most settled defence (3 out of 4 players have played 22 out of 22!)

In midfield it's similar for both sides with KDB at 23 and Rodri at 22. Henderson has played 21 and ditto Wijnaldum. Fabhino is on 13 so not so bad really.

Up front both are pretty settled with Sterling at 22 and Aguero 18. Jesus has 20 but we'd all agree he's not first pick. Firmino has played all 22 and Mane 21 with Salah on 19.

So this isn't to take away from Liverpool and don't buy into this everyone else is weak. We have been more hampered by injury, that's 100% true, BUT still should have done better in games where it's there for the taking.
I think it’s a spot on post

3 of our back 5 have been ever present - but have at times missed key players - Alisson for one has missed a few but a great signing in the summer bringing in Adrian

CB - Gomez is our number one alongside VVD but was of form so Matip starting the season then injured , then Lovren stepped in - injured then Gomez back in and been superb since

Midfield - Gini and Milner have had a few injuries but the big one was Fabinho - but we have managed to cover the injuries with the squad so the miss has been more manageable - same when Salah was out for a little bit

I don’t understand why City didn’t replace Kompany - losing Laporte ( who I think is superb ) was a big miss but replacing Kompany would have covered that injury

The question was asked would the gap be the same if both teams had no injuries - I think it would have been give or take a few points - has Laporte being been that big a miss ?

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oh, and this is what I actually said about our defence.

Our new defensive set up is infinitely stronger that we finished with last season.
De Gea, AWB, Lindelof, Maguire and Shaw ........................... I can't think of many better in the Prem.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think it’s a spot on post

3 of our back 5 have been ever present - but have at times missed key players - Alisson for one has missed a few but a great signing in the summer bringing in Adrian

CB - Gomez is our number one alongside VVD but was of form so Matip starting the season then injured , then Lovren stepped in - injured then Gomez back in and been superb since

Midfield - Gini and Milner have had a few injuries but the big one was Fabinho - but we have managed to cover the injuries with the squad so the miss has been more manageable - same when Salah was out for a little bit

I don’t understand why City didn’t replace Kompany - losing Laporte ( who I think is superb ) was a big miss but replacing Kompany would have covered that injury

The question was asked would the gap be the same if both teams had no injuries - I think it would have been give or take a few points - has Laporte being been that big a miss ?

I think Laporte is a big miss as those around him can be pretty rammel ;) and like headless chickens without some leadership! Kompany is indeed a huge miss as even past his very best he was an amazing leader. To replace that this season was always going to be a big ask even with another CB on the books. I think the gap would be around the 7-8 points which we've proved is doable :p

PS For me (via my telebox!) both Sterling and Bernardo Silva have been way off their form from last season. Sterling looks like he did when we bought him :oops:

Tashyboy

Visit site
I think Laporte is a big miss as those around him can be pretty rammel ;) and like headless chickens without some leadership! Kompany is indeed a huge miss as even past his very best he was an amazing leader. To replace that this season was always going to be a big ask even with another CB on the books. I think the gap would be around the 7-8 points which we've proved is doable :p

PS For me (via my telebox!) both Sterling and Bernardo Silva have been way off their form from last season. Sterling looks like he did when we bought him :oops:

This hits the nail firmly on the head, for me KDB has been massive, Mahrez has come of age. Aguero has as many goals at top flight football as Shearer and is on fire. Players underperforming others smashing it.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
I think we are gone

The owners won't put hands in their pockets .. they hide behind summer signings but they trimmed the squad so thin at same time ...

We crying out for pace and leaving our young winger who I can never spell name of on loan at West brom

We need a decent midfielder and a good right back

We sold obiang and Byram in summer ..at least with them in squad with these current injury's we wouldn't be forced to use zabs who is class but legs completely gone and a very very slow midfield

We looked better when anontio came on but he isn't fully fit and once he tired the foxes picked us off

Liverpool next .. with them twice within a month period

That's gonna smash the goal difference

Yes I’ve resigned myself to relegation.
The owners are just Money grabbing, greed driven bastewards just in it for the payday.
One positive should be that I can get a seat closer to the pitch next year!?

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
PJ. Am.old skool. I for one think the premier league has been good. Very good. As a City fan of decades I thought it was boring when football was invented the day Sky started showing it and the premier league was formed. It was all about the big four. Chelsea, arsenal, Utd and Liverpool. For anyone else it was monotonous. City, spurs and Leicester, liddle old Leicester have smashed that big four apart.
This season has seen Liddle teams, and I can use that expression coz I follow liddle Citeh, the noisy neighbours. Liddle teams have taken points off the premier champs, look at burnley last night. All season pools forecasts have been smashed because of upsets. The prem league is not just about the top table but every team in it.
Yup Citys results aside, try telling any fan from a liddle team punching above its weight it's a rubbish year. And you know what, ave a feeling theres a few more twists and turns yet.
Tash I don’t think that answers my question.
Prove it’s strong as previous years.
The so called top 6 are much weaker.
Many seasons safety was 40 points I suspect it will be much lower this year

Tashyboy

Visit site
Tash I don’t think that answers my question.
Prove it’s strong as previous years.
The so called top 6 are much weaker.
Many seasons safety was 40 points I suspect it will be much lower this year

what I do find amusing is teams buying top players from other clubs and them doing nothing. Am On about Maguire, lukaku and wan bissaka. Am sure there’s other. Flippin eck City have bought some duds over the years. I think Sheff Utd have had a stonking season yet am not sure any of its players have been earmarked in moving to a top six club. Where as Leicester, some of there players have. Will be interesting watching what unfolds at Leicester at the end of the season

D

Deleted member 15344

Nope.
The thing is, without a midfield in front of them, it'll always be an impossible job.
Fair play for sticking to your convictions - I suspect you will be amazed to find anyone who thinks the UTD back 5 is better than Liverpool’s , Citys for starter - not one of those back 5 would get in the Liverpool team regardless of using the midfield as an excuse - when you spend the money UTD have on them and give them the wages they get you expect a damn sight better than what you are getting.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As painful as it is to admit the rise of Liverpool again from an also ran to running away with it is remarkable

Yeah you can say oh they spent X amount on a keeper or they spent X amount on the best CB in the league ... Doesnt really mean squat without a really amazing manager to get the most out of them

Van dyke for example was an outcast at Southampton and was talks of spurs going for him and not good enough for city at the time.. bet they regret that .. Liverpool got their man and klopp has no doubt improved him

Allison yes brilliant keeper but so is ederson so it's not a massive advantage

Liverpool have been on the rise for what 3 seasons constantly

Champ league second place
Champ league winners plus a total points that would win it most other years

This year they look set to get that kind of total again ... Whilst city are naturally fadding as their stars age ..

Liverpool are a very very young side and well balanced it seems.. city seem so top heavy..how many wingers do they have? No centre backs tho ..all that money on stones ... He's average .. Gomez much much better and looks assured in defence

Just hats off to them

Klopp has to go down as one of the greats for me

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
what I do find amusing is teams buying top players from other clubs and them doing nothing. Am On about Maguire, lukaku and wan bissaka. Am sure there’s other. Flippin eck City have bought some duds over the years. I think Sheff Utd have had a stonking season yet am not sure any of its players have been earmarked in moving to a top six club. Where as Leicester, some of there players have. Will be interesting watching what unfolds at Leicester at the end of the season
Nope still haven’t come up with an answer,your not the only one.
Wan Bissaka has been a great buy