Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

I think haaland was the one they had lined up but Raiola scuppered that. His deal with Dortmund is crazy good. If they sell him Railoa gets anything over €20m. Even so, the lack of thinking and preparation is worrying. Albeit all we get is the paper talk.
Yeah the Halaand deal is mental - Dortmund will sell in a year with a bit of profit and Raiola with a lot but it’s just a stepping stone and I don’t think Halaand is actually going to be That sort of super star.

But the it seems that the “negotiations” are an issue - when they want a player they seem to want to negotiate first but then end up spending 8 weeks and getting the player on the same price - just give the price that the club wants if they really want the player - Bruno Fernandes right now is a perfect example

4LEX

Visit site
Is that the 'average' Chelsea side that won the double in 09/10 and also broke a number of PL records? 103 goals that season, 68 goals at home and a goal difference of +71. Yep went to a lot of Chelsea games that season and always came away thinking how 'average' we were!!! ;):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

You beat a bang average United side by 1 point I recall. United sold Ronaldo and Tevez, replaced them with Valencia and Owen and were one dodgy goal off winning the title ;) I also recall that was the season you had a fair few big wins against fodder like Wigan which skewed the goal difference. I think Malouda almost got 20 goals! A successful season but I will stand by my comments those sides were average Champions in the bigger picture. A step down from Arsenal 04, Chelsea 04-06 and United 06-09 anyway. Plus the current City and Liverpool sides.

I think anyone saying Liverpool have won it by default are doing them a diservice. The consistency over the last two years is the best in the history of the PL. They'll average way over 90 points for two seasons in a row, which even with the top sides struggling is amazing. Plus they're doing well in cups too. I had doubts over Klopp and thought he was a one trick pony playing attacking, high tempo scatter gun football up until 2018. But he was backed with top class signings and learnt from his mistakes. The way he has evolved Liverpool from a brilliant gung ho attacking side that was never going to win anything, to a well drilled and solid winning machine deserves the highest praise. Likable, funny, crazy, intense and takes no crap - just everything you want in a manager. If anything Liverpool have made it so easy they probably aren't getting the credit they deserve.

4LEX

Visit site
Yeah the Halaand deal is mental - Dortmund will sell in a year with a bit of profit and Raiola with a lot but it’s just a stepping stone and I don’t think Halaand is actually going to be That sort of super star.

But the it seems that the “negotiations” are an issue - when they want a player they seem to want to negotiate first but then end up spending 8 weeks and getting the player on the same price - just give the price that the club wants if they really want the player - Bruno Fernandes right now is a perfect example

Haaland has been parked at Dortmund without a doubt. They'rean attack minded side with loads of playermakers and wingers that probably won't win anything, so he'll play and score 40 a season and then they'll sell to a United, Juve or Real for £100m and the profit will be split between the clubs and the agent. But that's football these days - the agents are part of it and if you refuse to get in on these deals you're fighting for scraps.

4LEX

Visit site
Just a couple of comments re the crowd and fans last night. The Stretford end were immense, didnt stop from start to finish !!!! Chatting to some Burnley fans in the boozer after the game and they said that Utd have the best away support they have seen at Turf Moor. Singing from start to finish.

Sure the prawn sandwich brigade left 5 minutes early (when the pictures were taken) but in the main, the frustration is the lack of signings. How can we not sign a striker when Rashfords been playing with a stress fracture ? Our squad is weak. Pereira, James and Martial are not going to win us any trophies as a front 3. Especially with Lingaard as a back up.

United have had the best away support in the country for years, along with Liverpool and then Leeds IMO.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I don’t think that ‘asterisk’ will mean anything IF they go unbeaten or emulate last season in only losing once, that alone shows they’re consistent whereas others are in a situation of rebuilding teams and squads and mainly with new managers, other than City, who unlike all the other expected challengers, don’t really have a valid excuse for being as poor as they have been.

Next season will be a truer acid test, in that they’ll be champions and expectations will be high, if not higher, to maintain what they’ve achieved over these last 2 seasons, but all the usual challengers should be more settled with new players and managers and they should all push them.

But if they go unbeaten or only lose once in a season, again, then we’re all off the pace for possibly a few years, nothing to do with being poor, just look at the points that have won leagues in the past or secured 4th, it’s simply a new barometer being set.

Nobody could see past City again pre season, and look what has happened there.......

Fish if I am reading that every team is rebuilding etc and have an excuse for being rubbish apart from City.Well er.

Complete and utter rammel, City have been decimated by injuries to Major players Rodri, Sane, Laporte. Etc. That’s why City have not performed. Take out VVD, Bobby and Henderson and tell me Liverpool Would be in the same position. Lazy posting Fish.
not gonna go there re VAR either.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sounds better than "some guy off sky said".:D

Some good points, but also one of perspective.

Just because some of the traditional top clubs (and City and Chelsea) :D are struggling, doesnt mean that the whole league is, or English football is. Outside of Liverpool, and as Ive said before maybe the likes of Sheff Utd, Wolves, Palace, West Ham (early on), Soton (now) have got better,so making the league MORE competitive. Just because Liverpool have beaten all and sundry doesnt mean the league is less competitive, but just that the title race is less competitive, because off our one in a hundred year form (so far).

Isnt this the league that supplied both of last year's CL finalists, Europa league finalists. United knocked PSG out and got to the quarters, City also did before getting knocked out by another English club?
Only Liverpool, Leicester, Sheff Utd & maybe Southampton have had really good seasons. Everyone else is either way below expectations (Spurs, Man Utd, City, Arsenal, West Ham, Bournemouth, Watford, Burnley, Everton) or at best at a similar level to last year (Chelsea, Wolves, Palace, Brighton).

Tashyboy

Visit site
Sounds better than "some guy off sky said".:D

Some good points, but also one of perspective.

Just because some of the traditional top clubs (and City and Chelsea) :D are struggling, doesnt mean that the whole league is, or English football is. Outside of Liverpool, and as Ive said before maybe the likes of Sheff Utd, Wolves, Palace, West Ham (early on), Soton (now) have got better,so making the league MORE competitive. Just because Liverpool have beaten all and sundry doesnt mean the league is less competitive, but just that the title race is less competitive, because off our one in a hundred year form (so far).

Isnt this the league that supplied both of last year's CL finalists, Europa league finalists. United knocked PSG out and got to the quarters, City also did before getting knocked out by another English club?

The teams you have mentioned and Leicester. Been a good season for them taking points off 3 of the top four.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fish if I am reading that every team is rebuilding etc and have an excuse for being rubbish apart from City.Well er.

Complete and utter rammel, City have been decimated by injuries to Major players Rodri, Sane, Laporte. Etc. That’s why City have not performed. Take out VVD, Bobby and Henderson and tell me Liverpool Would be in the same position. Lazy posting Fish.
Because they underprepared. Went into the season with Laporte plus two rubbish centre backs that their manager doesn't trust. You can't blame injuries for that. I would argue Sane has hardly been missed when you have Mahrez, Sterling, Bernardo, Jesus all chipping in. Rodri has only missed two games so not sure why you brought him up.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

Rodri has missed 3 games and Sane is a squad player who was rumoured to be leaving. He also got injured prior to transfer window so could have been replaced. You aren’t exactly short in attack though.

Laporte is a big miss, but you’ve got 300m of defenders that pep signed and he chooses to play midfielders there. Who’s fault is that?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Only Liverpool, Leicester, Sheff Utd & maybe Southampton have had really good seasons. Everyone else is either way below expectations (Spurs, Man Utd, City, Arsenal, West Ham, Bournemouth, Watford, Burnley, Everton) or at best at a similar level to last year (Chelsea, Wolves, Palace, Brighton).
Haha

Saints having a good season? We got smashed 9-0!! It appears good compared to where it was, But me and most of my mates felt at the start of the season we would be comfortable. Think we will be nearer 50 points than 40. So as expected/hoped imo.

D

Deleted member 1418

You beat a bang average United side by 1 point I recall. United sold Ronaldo and Tevez, replaced them with Valencia and Owen and were one dodgy goal off winning the title ;)

The core of that 'bang average' Utd side that season contained Van Der Sar, Gary Neville, Evra, Ferdinand, Berbatov, Roonery, Giggs, Vidic, Carrick, Scholes, and Rooney.

And managed by the greatest club manager in the history of English football.

I cannot believe we only beat them by 1 point! :ROFLMAO:

Yes we gave out some absolute drubbings en route to the title - with the average players in our squad at the time we must've been very lucky indeed!

Tashyboy

Visit site
Because they underprepared. Went into the season with Laporte plus two rubbish centre backs that their manager doesn't trust. You can't blame injuries for that. I would argue Sane has hardly been missed when you have Mahrez, Sterling, Bernardo, Jesus all chipping in. Rodri has only missed two games so not sure why you brought him up.
You cannot blame injuries ? ok we will call it leprosy then. Am stating facts not opinions. You would argue Same has not been injured. we are 13 points behind Liverpool and it could be 19. And the quickest player in the league is not missed. Yet you quote we have sterling who has been rammel for 3 months.Laporte is our No 1 defender, yet Stones and Otamendi who have a couple of prem titles apiece have not performed. I suppose we could bring back Mangala ?

Tashyboy

Visit site
Rodri has missed 3 games and Sane is a squad player who was rumoured to be leaving. He also got injured prior to transfer window so could have been replaced. You aren’t exactly short in attack though.

Laporte is a big miss, but you’ve got 300m of defenders that pep signed and he chooses to play midfielders there. Who’s fault is that?
Simple question Papas. If City and Liverpool had been injury free, would the gap of been as it is. Or would it of been similar to the previous season.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Haha

Saints having a good season? We got smashed 9-0!! It appears good compared to where it was, But me and most of my mates felt at the start of the season we would be comfortable. Think we will be nearer 50 points than 40. So as expected/hoped imo.
That's fair enough, you started diabolically but then Ings started scoring and you've shot up the league places. I'll stick them in the 'about average' pile then. :D

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
If you'd had Laporte I think you may have been closer imo. I still think the results you've had this season are more to do with Pep though. Taking Fernandinho from the midfield leaves your defence exposed. I think he'd still have done that with Laporte at the back as he doesn't trust your other cbs.

The other two had no effect imo.

Liverpool have drawn one game so far though. So, I still think they'd have a lead. There current form has then due for 10 points more tha your best.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You cannot blame injuries ? ok we will call it leprosy then. Am stating facts not opinions. You would argue Same has not been injured. we are 13 points behind Liverpool and it could be 19. And the quickest player in the league is not missed. Yet you quote we have sterling who has been rammel for 3 months.Laporte is our No 1 defender, yet Stones and Otamendi who have a couple of prem titles apiece have not performed. I suppose we could bring back Mangala ?
If I build a house with no roof, then the rain floods my house, do you blame me or do you blame the rain?

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Alisson was out for months
Fabinho was out for months
Gomez was out for months
Lovren was out in and out for months
Matip has been out for months
Keita has been in and out

So what was you point again, about one fella who missed 3 games?

Tashyboy

Visit site
Alisson was out for months
Fabinho was out for months
Gomez was out for months
Lovren was out in and out for months
Matip has been out for months
Keita has been in and out

So what was you point again, about one fella who missed 3 games?
Read post 8748 ?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just doing some anaylsis to compare appearances this season between City and Liverpool. For me the main difference is stability in defence. We can't keep a clean sheet and can dominate possession for the first half and go in 1-0 down with our opponents having one attack. Liverpool just look more difficult to break down and are scraping some wins when they've not been at their best - something we haven't done much, if any of, at all.

So:

Ederson 21 appearances. Alisson 14. (Poor Ederson is usually not at fault mind).
Laporte 5. VVD 22 (I think it's fair to compare these two as they're not only the best defenders but also leaders in defence). Fernandinho 20. Gomez 13.
Full backs: Walker 18 and Mendy 11, Robertson and Arnold have 22 each.

Without doubt Liverpool have by far the most settled defence (3 out of 4 players have played 22 out of 22!)

In midfield it's similar for both sides with KDB at 23 and Rodri at 22. Henderson has played 21 and ditto Wijnaldum. Fabhino is on 13 so not so bad really.

Up front both are pretty settled with Sterling at 22 and Aguero 18. Jesus has 20 but we'd all agree he's not first pick. Firmino has played all 22 and Mane 21 with Salah on 19.

So this isn't to take away from Liverpool and don't buy into this everyone else is weak. We have been more hampered by injury, that's 100% true, BUT still should have done better in games where it's there for the taking.