Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16999

Tbf, I purposely didn’t bring VAR in to it until the end as I totally agree that is causing a lot of this season’s issues.

I think some saw it as the answer, were it’s actually created more questions.

Even yesterday’s decision wasn’t agreed on by 3 ex-professionals with the benefit of 10+ replays.

Maybe it’s time to look at both the laws of the game and VAR.

D

Deleted member 1740

Do you seriously think that's ever going to happen with all the hammering ref's get from footy fans on just about every footy forum there is?
In fact, they are roundly mocked on just about any forum, TV footy show, social media, down the pub ........................ everywhere.
I certainly wouldn't want to be a ref.

It wont happen but it's something I'd like to see to try and improve the standard of refs. Otherwise whats the alternative? Carry on with with the same??

I've said before that the media ,sky in particular, could improve the way they over analyse every contentious decision with its 24 different angles slowed down to 5ms and highlighted to prove tthere was contact.

Refs will always take criticism it's impossible to get rival fans to agree on decisions that go for and against their team.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I'm gonna assume "young Bradley Tash" is a child. A kids friendly tournament/game has to be right at the lowest level of football and so I would expect to see a low level referee, for example a 16 year old referee possibly just starting out. Where else do you suggest these young referees learn?

the level of the ref was a 6 yr old not a 16 yr old. Not one word spoken to the children. I think his whistle was broke. Inability to convey to kids if it is a corner or throw in. Not one word was said to the ref from any parent. But if kids want to get into being a referee they need to be coached and coached well. Not turning up in any old gear and playing on your phone at half time. All those saying refs should be given some slack. Am not sorry but they have been rammel all season and for god knows how long before this season. If all refs were to a standard that Collina was, we would not be in this mess.

D

Deleted member 16999

the level of the ref was a 6 yr old not a 16 yr old. Not one word spoken to the children. I think his whistle was broke. Inability to convey to kids if it is a corner or throw in. Not one word was said to the ref from any parent. But if kids want to get into being a referee they need to be coached and coached well. Not turning up in any old gear and playing on your phone at half time. All those saying refs should be given some slack. Am not sorry but they have been rammel all season and for god knows how long before this season. If all refs were to a standard that Collina was, we would not be in this mess.
Ability and knowledge isn’t linked to fitness!

Did you ask if the guy was qualified or just some lad willing to help out? It’s 16 year old’s we need to get in to officiating, once he’s attended his first course he will be assessed and given feedback, did you know everything as a 16yr old?

How many players are “rammel” in your opinion that keep playing week after week?

Of course the standard needs improving, it’s just we highlight 1 or 2 decisions over 2 minutes out of 90+, they get far more correct than they ever get wrong.

As for Collina, he made his fair share of mistakes as well.

Tashyboy

Visit site

Did you ask if the guy was qualified or just some lad willing to help out? It’s 16 year old’s we need to get in to officiating, once he’s attended his first course he will be assessed and given feedback, did you know everything as a 16yr old?

How many players are “rammel” in your opinion that keep playing week after week?

Of course the standard needs improving, it’s just we highlight 1 or 2 decisions over 2 minutes out of 90+, they get far more correct than they ever get wrong.

rammel players, there’s a few at City at the moment, plus a few others that have been to the Etihad. The thing is Paul, I was involved in children’s football for 10 years and got certain FA coaching badges. The youth league I was affiliated to had close links with the Notts FA refs. They were very good. The coaching of the young refs was very good. The only problem at youth football was parents. Dads watching Sky and being Alex Ferguson for an hour. The lad had a referees badge on his chest so would imagine he has done some coaching. I think the reason he got no slack is because he was about 16. If he had a mentor watching that he was going to get a lot of feedback.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site

As for Collina, he made his fair share of mistakes as well.

Collina wasn’t so highly regarded in Italy as he was across Europe. There are those who still feel he played his part in the Calciopoli scandal.

D

Deleted member 16999

rammel players, there’s a few at City at the moment, plus a few others that have been to the Etihad. The thing is Paul, I was involved in children’s football for 10 years and got certain FA coaching badges. The youth league I was affiliated to had close links with the Notts FA refs. They were very good. The coaching of the young refs was very good. The only problem at youth football was parents. Dads watching Sky and being Alex Ferguson for an hour. The lad had a referees badge on his chest so would imagine he has done some coaching. I think the reason he got no slack is because he was about 16. If he had a mentor watching that he was going to get a lot of feedback.
You’re comparing him to a PL Ref! What chance does anyone interested in becoming a Ref have if this is the way they are looked at.

If it’s a sanctioned match by the local FA, the managers will of been asked to assess the Ref, if he’s no good he’ll go no further, if he needs help he’ll get it.

I was a Ref in the Forces for nearly 5 years, try officiating a match with club linesman who were normally the worst player from each team or some spectator suddenly asked to hold a flag, 99 times out of 100 you’d ask them to give ball in and out of play only, you’d explain that to the Captains, then you’d get these people flagging for fouls, offsides etc and then you’d get abuse from the teams for ignoring the linesman!

Tashyboy

Visit site
You’re comparing him to a PL Ref! What chance does anyone interested in becoming a Ref have if this is the way they are looked at.

If it’s a sanctioned match by the local FA, the managers will of been asked to assess the Ref, if he’s no good he’ll go no further, if he needs help he’ll get it.

I was a Ref in the Forces for nearly 5 years, try officiating a match with club linesman who were normally the worst player from each team or some spectator suddenly asked to hold a flag, 99 times out of 100 you’d ask them to give ball in and out of play only, you’d explain that to the Captains, then you’d get these people flagging for fouls, offsides etc and then you’d get abuse from the teams for ignoring the linesman!

I am not comparing him to anyone, and I will say it again, I am not comparing him to anyone. The only assumption made is that if it is sanctioned by the local FA. It is a private run tournament that runs every Sunday, which the FA knows about Ut has no input on the day. Money made goes to the private company. If you go back to my original post, I was pushing for support of young uns being encouraged to referee in the same way money goes into football coaching. Yesterday was a classic example of someone who wants to referee but is not being pointed in the right direction.

sam85

Head Pro
Visit site
I am not comparing him to anyone, and I will say it again, I am not comparing him to anyone. The only assumption made is that if it is sanctioned by the local FA. It is a private run tournament that runs every Sunday, which the FA knows about Ut has no input on the day. Money made goes to the private company. If you go back to my original post, I was pushing for support of young uns being encouraged to referee in the same way money goes into football coaching. Yesterday was a classic example of someone who wants to referee but is not being pointed in the right direction.

You'll get a standard of referee relative to the level of football you're at, a "woeful" young 16 year old just starting out is going to have to start at the very bottom refereeing a "woeful" standard of football.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My concern is the technology is there on the touch line to help them .
But they seem very hesitant to use it.
When a VAR is in discussion in Shockley why don’t they just go and have a look.
It will either confirm or not what he saw or what VAR is saying, he can make his own mind up then.

Tashyboy

Visit site
You'll get a standard of referee relative to the level of football you're at, a "woeful" young 16 year old just starting out is going to have to start at the very bottom refereeing a "woeful" standard of football.
Cheeky sod, the mighty Mansfield Town under 7,s play at that comp. ?

Tashyboy

Visit site
My concern is the technology is there on the touch line to help them .
But they seem very hesitant to use it.
When a VAR is in discussion in Shockley why don’t they just go and have a look.
It will either confirm or not what he saw or what VAR is saying, he can make his own mind up then.
That’s just it though CC, the VVD challenge for the ball on De Gea. We have argued all day on here about that. Ref goes and has a look pitchside, he is in charge and says it either stands or it does not. Why should someone 130 miles away be involved in that.
Same as the challenge on Saha when he wanted a penalty, go to the screen. End of.

U

User62651

2 points for a view -

Harry Maguire - watched the Liv/ManU game and I still don't rate him that highly myself, solid premier league quality but a throwback to centre halfs of yesteryear for me, decent in the air but too slow and not enough of a ball player for the modern game at the very top level. Nemanja Vidic/Rio Ferdinand he is not. Notice Leicester doing much better without him.

Raheem Sterling - a much improved player but do you think he ever regrets leaving Liverpool given where they are now under Klopp? About to become England's biggest wealthiest club, as well as League Champions again finally? Appreciate he's won a lot domestically at City but it must cross his mind. I think LIverpool are getting to the point of becoming a pinnacle club in Europe i.e. they won't lose their very best players anymore to Barca/Bayern etc.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
2 points for a view -

Harry Maguire - watched the Liv/ManU game and I still don't rate him that highly myself, solid premier league quality but a throwback to centre halfs of yesteryear for me, decent in the air but too slow and not enough of a ball player for the modern game at the very top level. Nemanja Vidic/Rio Ferdinand he is not. Notice Leicester doing much better without him.

Raheem Sterling - a much improved player but do you think he ever regrets leaving Liverpool given where they are now under Klopp? About to become England's biggest wealthiest club, as well as League Champions again finally? Appreciate he's won a lot domestically at City but it must cross his mind. I think LIverpool are getting to the point of becoming a pinnacle club in Europe i.e. they won't lose their very best players anymore to Barca/Bayern etc.
Why would he regret leaving Liverpool for City when he's already won two league titles before they've won one? And he's been handsomely paid of course. I doubt he has any regrets at all.

D

Deleted member 16999

Thing is though Stu, lets forget football for the moment and focus on referees a minute.

Billions is spent on football, transfers, coaching, youth football development, agents etc etc. How much of that TV money is spent on referees. How much of that money is spent on coaching referees at an early age.
I watched young Bradley Tash at a friendly football tournament / game yesterday. I know the ref was a young Kid 16, but he was woeful. It was like he was making it up as he went along. There’s no way he has any level of reffing qualms and if he had then the coaching of him was woeful.
refs have been encouraged over half way through the season to go and look at screens. How many have ?. Ave said it before and I will say it again. Referees were getting it wrong before VAR and they are now running VAR. We keep saying we want consistency, the only consistency we get is inconsistency. I know part of the problem is some of the rules re attackers handball and offside etc. But the actual implementation of VAR run by the current crop of referees is killing the game.
Referees should now be a full time occupation, looking at some of the fossil refs running around the park, am sure there’s a physical standard, but it’s not high enough.

Tash me man, look at your original post I replied to, you went from PL Referees to the “woeful” kid yesterday, who you doubted had any quals, back to the PL Refs using pitchside monitors and standard of fitness.

Then when I asked questions you said he had a badge so you presumed he was qualified, but it turns out it’s a private league with no input on the day with the FA.

Why if it’s private should the FA care about pointing anyone in the right direction, the private league should be employing suitably qualified officials.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Tash me man, look at your original post I replied to, you went from PL Referees to the “woeful” kid yesterday, who you doubted had any quals, back to the PL Refs using pitchside monitors and standard of fitness.

Then when I asked questions you said he had a badge so you presumed he was qualified, but it turns out it’s a private league with no input on the day with the FA.

Why if it’s private should the FA care about pointing anyone in the right direction, the private league should be employing suitably qualified officials.

How much of that money is spent on coaching referees at an early age.

That sentence from my original post is one of my points. The kid has a “ referees badge”. He is being paid to referee. But more Importantly, the kids pay to play in the comp. should they expect substandard referees. That 16 yr old in five or six years time will be coaching the same kids who will be giving him lip, but not as much as the parents god forbid. His referees coaching at this early age should be to a better standard than it was/ is. No one is convincing me that a 16 yr old who wants to referee should not be able to talk to 6 and 7 yr olds.

U

User62651

Why would he regret leaving Liverpool for City when he's already won two league titles before they've won one? And he's been handsomely paid of course. I doubt he has any regrets at all.

Bit like saying you'd rather play for Blackburn Rovers rather than Manchester United back in early 90s because they won the league. Man City are an oil sheik's plaything, like PSG. Liverpool are 6 times European Champions - heritage and legend...you know what I mean.

D

Deleted member 15344

2 points for a view -

I still don’t see Maguire being anything better than a mid table Cb - he was turned inside and out yesterday a number of times , Leicester must be laughing getting £80mil for him - Gomez is far better and would like to see what he is like alongside Dunk or Tarkoswki , Maguire got a lot of hype from the World Cup - Lindelof looked better

As for Sterling - I’m sure he doesn’t regret it at all and we and him have moved on - I know I would take both Mane and Salah over him but Sterling has certainly stepped up since leaving - but I don’t think City will ever be seen in the same light as teams like Liverpool ,UTD , Madrid , Barce etc

I don’t think we will lose our best players but it’s not always about where you are in the game - any South American player grows up idolising Real Madrid and Barce so players do look to move there - thankfully at the moment I can’t see any of our players wanting to move on and can see players wanting to arrive. It’s a good time at the moment but we need to build on it