Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
I used to 'hate' Man Utd, now I just feel sorry for them, which seems to anger my Man Utd friends more!

I think they need quite a bit of squad improvement and tactical improvement. A keeper (De Gea, good keeper but will not get back to the quality he had a few seasons ago), a CB, a LB an entire midfield to supplement McTominay, and at least one forward; of the current crop, Rashford, Greenwood, McTominay, Martial, AWB, Maguire are worth their status, with possbily a few others as squad players only. Tactically, bizarrely, Utd are actually better without the ball but they need a lot more invention when they enjoy the lions share of possession. OGS policy of addressing this seems to be to tell Rashford to shoot at every opportunity.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
One thing that most fans talk about now is "buying" to improve, and generally expensive signings being the general panacaea.

Including myself, when we only bought Andy Robbo, we were disappointed in that transfer window. TAA has come through, Gomez (when not injured) has been nurtured through the reserves. Milner was free, Hendo is improving as each season goes by, Ox a different player to the Arsenal vintage, Fabinho one of the best holding midfielders in Europe.

Mane and Salah turned into world class players, even getting a tune out of Origi.

The only one that I would say that he hasnt improved (yet) is Keita, but is increasing showing more signs of the player we thought we had signed, just needs a run without injuries.

More importantly, if he doesnt improve them, they dont last long (like Mignolet).

I dont see any sign that OGS is a great coach. He has assimilated Macguire and AWB into the side, Rashford is improving (couldnt get any worse the way Mourinho handled him).

I certainly wont write off Man U, but they need 4-5 for the team, another 5-6 to have a great squad, and thats if they all work out. Can he coach them into a cohesive unit, with a playing style? I'm doubtful.

Once again, wise words and I agree with what you say.

I still think its a player issue, not a managerial one. I believe changing coaches will only set us back. The few times i've been this year I have seen a marked improvement in 'attitude' and energy of the payers. A desire to score and go forward that was previously lost under Jose, LVG, Moyes. I like what Ole is trying to do, I just don't think he has the players. Building a younger , hungry side is a good start and mixed with the 4-5 to improve the team I think can see us compete. We're a few years off but i see where we are trying to go, and, for the first time in 3 managers I like that we are "trying" to attack more.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

Two top midfielders and another striker would considerably improve United.
We currently have Fred in midfield, there's nobody else of any standard who is currently fit.

See above.

I would disagree but can see why you would say three only

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.
That's probably the funniest one liner in the history of one liners.
Get off your horse and pat yourself on the back, Phil.

Let’s be honest if the situation was reversed and I made a bold claim like yours which was shown to be a bit too bold and Liverpool were doing as bad as UTD right now ( as we have in the past ) you would most certainly react in the same way , and it’s a little bit of football banter. Remember we have had a couple of decades being behind UTD and been on the receiving on the end of the banter

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

I still think its a player issue, not a managerial one. I believe changing coaches will only set us back. The few times i've been this year I have seen a marked improvement in 'attitude' and energy of the payers. A desire to score and go forward that was previously lost under Jose, LVG, Moyes. I like what Ole is trying to do, I just don't think he has the players. Building a younger , hungry side is a good start and mixed with the 4-5 to improve the team I think can see us compete. We're a few years off but i see where we are trying to go, and, for the first time in 3 managers I like that we are "trying" to attack more.

the few times I have seen Utd, I have been a bit confused as to what kind of a football style they are trying to play. Watching City and Liverpool I get it. Arteta at Arsenal, I already get it. But Utd I scratch my head. Bringing in X number of players what are they being coached. what system. Think a few players and new coach is going to take time. Depending on how many hundreds of millions are spent. A Manchester club spending money to get on the top table. Terrible. ?

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

TBH, its good to see a view that isn't "just sack the manager", which is the default position of most footy fans these days.(y)

Although I dont share your confidence, I do understand the angle of patience and even being willing to potentially take the club a few steps back or sideways before the steps forward. A club legend always gets a bit more leeway, and just like we were defensive of Kenny when he came back, sometimes a club just needs to stop, assess and stop the merry-go-round of messiah/mess up.......again. OGS may just end up being the stabilising force or he may end up building something over 2-3 seasons, but I would have thought that if United go this and next season without CL, his time will probably be up, although he would have then had at least 4 transfer windows to put the team more in his image. It may not still necessarily be a great achievement with Spurs/ Arsenal and Chelsea also being in stasis, but it will keep funds coming in, and potentially a better standard of player, but if he doesnt sponsors/income/lustre will start to suffer.

D

Deleted member 15344

So what are Spurs going to do now

6 points off top 4 and Kane out until April

Are they going to spend on a striker or stick with Son and Moura especially when they are struggling at fullback and in the middle of the park.

D

Deleted member 1740

Are they going to spend on a striker or stick with Son and Moura especially when they are struggling at fullback and in the middle of the park.

Spending big dosh on a striker is a gamble. Once he’s fit that striker becomes a sub, I can’t see JM playing with 2 strikers

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

Same as last time Kane was out for a few months, win just about every game :ROFLMAO:

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51052156

If Utd are looking for a target man Who can score goals.
He did a great job for us at Everton, the same for West Brom beforehand. What he is not is versatile, he has his way and you need to play to that. If you do he will score goals for you, if you don't then ............He is also a player that needs a bit of love. Not sure he got that at Utd.

I never understand teams who buy a player and then expect to change their fundamental style of play and what made them the player they bought.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Same as last time Kane was out for a few months, win just about every game :ROFLMAO:

This was very noticeable.

Imo, they didn’t feel the need to pass to him at every opportunity, Ali wasn’t looking for him like his life depended on it, they played more as a team, I’d rather Kane play than not, for selfish reasons ?

Yes he can sniff out a goal, but I think they overplay situations when he’s in the team and more chances come to nothing.

I hope he gets fit quick ?